Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple streamlines iTunes 12.7 by removing the App Store

dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apple-streamlines-itunes-12-7-055636021.html

Will Apple create a downloadable version of the Appstore for computers?

I use that a lot in iTunes.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/05/apple-introduces-a-completely-redesigned-app-store/

I guess not based on this article.

Sh*t! :(

Replies

• chemistrychemistry Posts: 544Registered Users @ @ @
    I use it a lot too. I think all developers do. It's just easier to check your app rankings
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    +1. I don't use mobile iTunes at all.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 277Registered Users @ @
    I kinda like it, Im looking at Movies,TV,Podcasts all day today. And its so fast theres no load time at all, before it was so slow that I didnt even bother browsing, regardless of Mac or PC.

As for the App Store it looks amazing on the phone, more features and info for apps.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
    That's great news about the App Store. Haven't checked it yet.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    I kinda like it, Im looking at Movies,TV,Podcasts all day today. And its so fast theres no load time at all, before it was so slow that I didnt even bother browsing, regardless of Mac or PC.

As for the App Store it looks amazing on the phone, more features and info for apps.

Get a better computer...LOL.

I am using a computer from circa 2006 and never had any load problems with the old iTunes.
    dev666999 wrote: »

I am using a computer from circa 2006 and never had any load problems with the old iTunes.
    This :)

edited September 15
    dev666999 wrote: »

Funny, but no. i7, 32GB Ram, Pascal GPU. I have 3-4 machines plus a laptop with similar specs. I google "why is iTunes slow" there are tons of "guides" but I was always too lazy to make it work.

Its fast now, so who cares.
  • delphipgmrdelphipgmr Posts: 203Registered Users @ @
    this is horrible news, you know how many people search for apps on their desktop. also google.. now the google links dont go anywhere (no link to App Store).

so now, a customer looking for apps through google (or any other means), has to write it down, open their device and search for it.

this is going to cause alot of lost sales for developers like me who do business apps. i bet 90% of my customers come from internet or app store search. I'm already seeing a drop in sales.

im hoping they are planning on adding it back in to the App Store app?
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 594Registered Users @ @ @
    Apple has the analytics data to show them where customers find their apps. I wouldn't be surprised if less than 1% of legitimate app sales come from computers.
    delphipgmr wrote: »
    ...i bet 90% of my customers come from internet or app store search. I'm already seeing a drop in sales.

Can't you just actually look at the percentage in the iTunes Connect Analytics page ?

You can see the source of your users. If it didnt shift then you just lost users the old fashioned way.

no its coming down fast. my app has been in the top 25 in finance for the last 5 years. very consistent. typically, i get 50 or so downloads a day. since this change its fallen to under 10.

i mean it could just be an aberration, it just happens to coinside with the removal of the search.

• bellissimobellissimo Posts: 203Registered Users @ @
    Hard to believe that many people use iTunes to discover and download apps. If it was 1% I would be surprised, let alone 80%. I assume at 50 downloads it is a Paid app? Just small changes in rankings can severely affect downloads at the higher end of the chart. Also, it depends whether the change is across many countries of a single one.

Like iekei said, Apple would have looked at the stats and decided there was not enough benefit to keeping it in there.
    Removing the App Store also will prevent people from purchasing 32-bit apps that won't run on their iOS 11 devices.
    its common with business type apps like mine to search on the computer. games and such i can see on just the platform. the numbers speak for themselves, its been a few days and its not getting better. I'm still watching, maybe it is a coincidence, but its not looking like it
    But surely the small number of people people who used to install on the computer would now install on their device instead, or at least a good percentage of them? If they went to the effort of researching on their PC to find the app to suit their needs, then it is a given that most would go on to actually install it on the device if that was the only way to do so. Just seems weird to me.
    another day of low sales, never had this many in a row.

just from an apple business point, for the hundreds of millions of windows pc's that have iTunes, why on earth would they want to give up the ability to search the store from a windows desktop? thats like having your own google for your apps and then just turning it off.

i can see apple putting the app store in the mac App Store on the mac, but no windows customer is going to have that on their pc.

just a dumb business move by apple, there is no gain in this only loss
    I do think it is a dumb move. No idea if I get any sales from it, but I bet most people here have searched for apps on iTunes at some point.
    Some of that data is available in iTunes Connect Analytics. If you aren't using it, that's your loss.
    edited September 19
  • savannasavanna Posts: 267New Users @ @
    iekei wrote: »
    Removing the App Store also will prevent people from purchasing 32-bit apps that won't run on their iOS 11 devices.

The timing suggests this is at least part of the rationale for this move.

Maybe we have a new mac app store coming soon, that might include apps for other platforms including iOS..? That has been neglected for some time.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    Conspiracy Theory: They haven't figured out search ads for the Mac iTunes app yet.
    edited September 25
    iekei wrote: »
    Some of that data is available in iTunes Connect Analytics. If you aren't using it, that's your loss.

The analytics do not distinguish between iTunes or Device impressions/installs, so not much help in this instance.
    It does show data for App Store Search and Web Referrals. From Web Referrals, Delphipgmr can estimate the loss, if any and when it began, from web searches on computers where the links no longer resolve in iTunes. The loss ratio and the date when that began should be the similar to the App Store Search loss if the changes to the computer iTunes app are to blame.
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    I just encountered a VERY annoying problem with this.
    You know whenever you open an itunes web link in chrome or some other browser, it asks you to "Open in iTunes"? I accidentally clicked "remember my choice" and clicked open....

Now whenever i open a itunes web link in chrome, it will open iTunes on mac, which will then open the same itunes web link in a new chrome tab, which then opens iTunes again... and loops forever....

How can i disable chrome from opening itunes automatically? i searched the internet and found old methods which doesn't apply to the new versions of chrome and iTunes..