Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read it and Weep...one more screen size and ratio to worry about

Replies

  • tmongytmongy Posts: 93New Users @
    Yeah I've been testing this in the simulator with Xcode9 GM and it's a very strange native screen ratio. My game runs in portrait only so I've been doing some tests.

    If you don't include a launch image to support the iPhone X it runs in iPhone 6/7/8 resolution, 750 x 1334, with a black letterbox at the top and bottom. If I include a launch image then it runs in native resolution of 1125 x 2436, which looks really weird for my game and I would imagine most games since its looks very thin and tall.

    Honestly I think it looks better with the letterbox so I don't think I will be adding native resolution support for the iPhone X for now.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    I won't be updating my apps for it unless I am forced to. Maybe it could be an IAP. If you can afford a $1000 phone ...
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 823Registered Users @ @ @
    Really not looking forward to this why would apple do this. Do they really want 99% of the apps on the store to have black boxes when the iPhone x ships?

    Can anyone post a screen of the simulator showing what the boxes will look like if you don't update to fit iPhone x?
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    edited September 15
    What % of phones in circulation are likely to be Xs. Is it really worth the effort? You'll lose all your search rankings if you update and may not get back to the same positions. Is a black box really so much worse than the Notch?
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    Same as when iPhone 5 launched surely. Most apps started off with black bars, but they gradually got updated over time. There is no requirement to update for it, but why wouldn't you unless it does not make sense for that particular app?

    App updates for iOS 11 will have the option to keep all existing reviews and ratings, so should be no punishment for updating any more.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    but why wouldn't you unless it does not make sense for that particular app?

    Because you will lose all your rankings ...
  • dinglefacedingleface Posts: 178New Users @ @
    Another screen size to worry about? This is not a new pattern. You know that Apple is going to introduce new screen sizes in the future. At this point all the apps you guys write should be able to adapt to any screen size. If it can't then that's your fault. The days of absolute positioning and pixel perfect designs have been over for quite a while now.

    Just like bellissimo says, there is no longer any punishment for updating apps, so include new launch image and your app should work fine, if not then you didn't code your app properly.

  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    I didn't code mine properly, and my apps are pixel perfect and staying that way :)
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited September 15
    dingleface wrote: »
    Another screen size to worry about? This is not a new pattern. You know that Apple is going to introduce new screen sizes in the future. At this point all the apps you guys write should be able to adapt to any screen size. If it can't then that's your fault. The days of absolute positioning and pixel perfect designs have been over for quite a while now.

    Just like bellissimo says, there is no longer any punishment for updating apps, so include new launch image and your app should work fine, if not then you didn't code your app properly.

    While I certainly agree with all of your and @bellissimo 's points, there is a niggling problem to all this.

    You'll be forced to update eventually, same as iPhone 5. But this will negatively affect many legit developers who, upon update, will be rejected with Apple's asinine "Spam" or "Design" excuse. Reviewers will be screwing over developers and will also be disallowing upon appeal... Effectively killing their business.

  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    edited September 15
    I get punished every time I update my own apps. They drop like a stone after an update. The downloads halve. I guess when I get forced to then that is different. Not even related to number of reviews either as they are back on 4 figures after a day or two.
  • CoDEFRoCoDEFRo Posts: 643New Users @ @ @
    edited September 15
    Actually was working on adapting for the iPhoneX today and it wasn't too bad and I have a lot of art work in my app. It's the same width as the iPhone 8 so I just treated it like that and repositioned stuff.

    Yeah I'm being forced to update because of a glitch in my app, really worried about what'll happen to my sales and downloads. I'm imagining though that most of you will be forced to update due to the keywords getting cut off at 30 in the title?
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 595Registered Users @ @ @
    You're not supposed to have any keywords in the title, never mind 30.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    astersdo wrote: »
    bellissimo wrote: »
    but why wouldn't you unless it does not make sense for that particular app?

    Because you will lose all your rankings ...

    Except you won't, because Apple are allowing you to keep your existing reviews as I said. Updating does not affect your ranking as such, they drop because you lose all your reviews for the current version, which will no longer be the case.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »

    While I certainly agree with all of your and @bellissimo 's points, there is a niggling problem to all this.

    You'll be forced to update eventually, same as iPhone 5. But this will negatively affect many legit developers who, upon update, will be rejected with Apple's asinine "Spam" or "Design" excuse. Reviewers will be screwing over developers and will also be disallowing upon appeal... Effectively killing their business.

    A bit cynical. This has only affected a handful of developers who do have spam apps, or have a very particular scenario (e.g. travel apps for different countries). It should not affect 'legit' developers as much as it would help get rid of actual spam (a much needed job). Personally I have found Apple to be very helpful whenever I have had problems which required speaking to a human being (I reserve the right to change my mind if I get banned :))

  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    astersdo wrote: »
    bellissimo wrote: »
    but why wouldn't you unless it does not make sense for that particular app?

    Because you will lose all your rankings ...

    Except you won't, because Apple are allowing you to keep your existing reviews as I said. Updating does not affect your ranking as such, they drop because you lose all your reviews for the current version, which will no longer be the case.

    I disagree. I have 1000+ reviews again within 2 days, but I lose all my rankings.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    Have decided to port to iPhone X ... but only the paid versions ...
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    edited September 18
    astersdo wrote: »
    bellissimo wrote: »
    astersdo wrote: »
    bellissimo wrote: »
    but why wouldn't you unless it does not make sense for that particular app?

    Because you will lose all your rankings ...

    Except you won't, because Apple are allowing you to keep your existing reviews as I said. Updating does not affect your ranking as such, they drop because you lose all your reviews for the current version, which will no longer be the case.

    I disagree. I have 1000+ reviews again within 2 days, but I lose all my rankings.

    What rankings are you actually referring to? I have never noticed any change in keyword or category rankings, other than the dip you may expect due to having all your ratings wiped out and the associated fewer sales.

    You must have some big download numbers to get 1000+ reviews back within a couple of days, especially considering not everyone will update straight away. At that level you may expect a more pronounced drop off from the initial loss of ratings as you have further to fall and the differentials are bigger the higher in the charts you are.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    The rankings that show on Applyzer die for me with an update. Millions of downloads for a free app. If only the paid version did as well :)
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    You mean the keyword rankings? These will still be heavily affected by the loss of ratings. If you had tens of thousands of reviews then drop to 0 then I would expect a big drop in keyword rankings too. This leads to a drop in sales, which further reduces your keyword rankings. Even if you have got back up to 1000 ratings, this is presumably well down on where it was before you updated? I would wait to see how it works out with the new system in iOS 11...

    I have pretty much given up on Paid apps, even if you are near the top of the category charts, it is peanuts compared to the income you can squeeze out of a popular free app, especially if you have have a large MAU figure.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 640New Users @ @ @
    No, chart rankings in general. Eg if 500 overall, or 50th in puzzle games etc etc. Great to know I am the only one this happens to :(
  • savannasavanna Posts: 267New Users @ @
    edited September 19
    astersdo wrote: »
    Have decided to port to iPhone X ... but only the paid versions ...

    I did the same thing when the 5 came out, I updated my paid app versions to use the taller screen but kept the free at the smaller size so there was another incentive to upgrade to the paid app. You can only do that with different apps, free and paid.

    It worked back then but apple now look to be against the free and paid version model, calling it spam.

    You run the risk of falling foul of that if you update now. I still have that model and will have to change to IAP in the free apps and remove the paid apps eventually, but doing so will cost me income so I won't be updating for as long as I can avoid it.

    The letterbox on the X isn't so bad, its not as bad as the change from 4 to 5. Plenty of people don't like the look of 'the notch' or 'the ears' so would actually prefer if you didn't update!

    Plus people with the X are going to be small proportion of your users for some time to come.


    Updating carries some risk now, and if there is little benefit, you shouldn't do it.


Sign In or Register to comment.