Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AdMob on iPhone X to comply with guidelines?

Martin8Martin8 Posts: 24New Users @
Hello,

Most apps that use Google AdMob have banners implemented at the very bottom of the screen.

The new iPhone X will instead of a physical home button only have a virtual "home button" on the very bottom of the screen (you see a bar and have to swipe up to close the app). Most apps have the AdMob banners at the same position or close to it.

This could be a problem with AdMob's guidelines to prevent accidental clicks because you have to put your finger at the bottom of the screen (where the AdMob banner is) to close an app with the gesture on the iPhone X.

I'm afraid of receiving policy warnings or getting banned because AdMob at the bottom of the iPhone X screen could potentially cause accidental clicks in Google's opinion.

How will you handle this?
Do you think it will still be allowed to have AdMob ads at the bottom of the screen on the iPhone X?

Thank you so much.

Best,
Martin

Replies

• savannasavanna Posts: 266New Users @ @
    If you haven't updated for the larger screen your app will run in a 'letterboxed' mode, there will be a gap at the top and bottom of the screen. I believe that in this gap at the bottom you will have the bar, so it won't be on top of your app.

If you update, you'll need to move your banner to account for it.

Its a bit more work to update, and another reason to hold off on the X update ; Im won't be updating for as long as I can avoid it.
  • astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 627New Users @ @ @
    I won't be updating either.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    edited September 26
    entire tool bars are at the bottom of the screen for somewhere around 30% to 50% of apps. entire titles are at the top middle of 50% to 80% of apps, entire labels for going forward and backwards are at the top of the screen for 80% of apps. basically for all apps there is no minor update going forward, all apps have to have a major update to deal with a completely unfamiliar layout) while still supporting a normal layout for new iPhones that don't have this going forward... we have dived into a hodge podge of UI...
  • danny43danny43 Posts: 101Registered Users @ @
    It's really not much more work to update for the iPhone X.

For banners with Admob you have to put a gap where the home line is and have the banner above that. Similar to how its done in the screen shot attached. Thats just a quick example I made.

For me personally I am leaning towards going with just interstitial ads on the iPhone X for the year and see how it goes. I personally think that the home line won't last long and will be gone next year. So that part of the display will be freed up.

l3r8y3l90kg9.png

• astersdoastersdo USAPosts: 627New Users @ @ @
    I'll wait for the iPhone XI :)