Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will apple approve apps with same source code?

tomtom258tomtom258 EuropePosts: 2New Users Noob
Hi guys. I was wondering..
Let's say I have created a app, published my app but decided to give/sell my source code to a friend (different developer account) who only changed minor things like app description, app title, screenshots and icon. Is it possible that this might be a problem getting the app approved for him? It probably wont be detected by manual reviewers, but maybe there is some automated review process aswell which looks at the source code and it can't be exactly the same as some other app?

Thanks.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Yes, there is a possibility that it will be flagged by "design". "Design" is another word for template.

Reviewers have been told to examine apps carefully for this. The end result is that a lot of developers are getting hit with "Design" rejections.

In your case, it is a gamble. All you can do is submit the app, and hope it makes it through review.

Good luck.
  • tomtom258tomtom258 EuropePosts: 2New Users Noob
    edited October 14
    Thanks, so this policy is mostly targeted to devs buying and reskining app?
  • sparksosparkso Posts: 542Registered Users @ @ @
    edited October 15
    i must say a lot of "spamming" still goes through. But then a lot of them don't go through.
    So it's all down to luck. Thanks for Apple's inconsistency.

And there is NO WAY you can explain your business model (sell/ buy app) to apple. You might actually get into more trouble is you try to explain.
  • bellissimobellissimo Posts: 204Registered Users @ @
    Well if you have given the source code to someone else (sold or otherwise) who then uploads it as it, but you still maintain the app on the App Store yourself then I would suggest this is spam since it is a duplicate app with no advantage to the user (other than confusion).

However I would have thought it would get through as Apple are generally checking for spam within the same developer account, not across different accounts. I very much doubt they check the source code for anything except use of private APIs.
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,046Registered Users @ @ @ @
    bellissimo wrote: »
    Well if you have given the source code to someone else (sold or otherwise) who then uploads it as it, but you still maintain the app on the App Store yourself then I would suggest this is spam since it is a duplicate app with no advantage to the user (other than confusion).

However I would have thought it would get through as Apple are generally checking for spam within the same developer account, not across different accounts. I very much doubt they check the source code for anything except use of private APIs.

Can Apple decompile our apps and see our source code?
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 390New Users @ @
    raymng wrote: »

Can Apple decompile our apps and see our source code?

No! Of course not! They could disassemble it to assembly language but they would have no way to recover the original Objective-C source lines. And no, the source code is NOT included in the bundle submitted to Apple for review.
    but they can look up classnames and method names.
    sparkso wrote: »

Does Apple really look up class names and method names during review?

yes, if they find your app suspicious.
    They definitely scan apps for private internal class names and methods that you aren't supposed to use.

How do you know they will?
    They did it for your app before?

How do you know they will?
    They did it for your app before?

There are MANY instances of apps being cited for using private APIs on the official IOS developer forums.
    I think he was referring to manually scanning apps for random method names rather than the automatic process of scanning for the use of private apis.

If Apple thought an app was suspicious I am not sure what they would gain from checking method names, as that proves nothing.
    bellissimo wrote: »
    I think he was referring to manually scanning apps for random method names rather than the automatic process of scanning for the use of private apis.

If Apple thought an app was suspicious I am not sure what they would gain from checking method names, as that proves nothing.

If you are reskinning app, maybe they can prove it by checking the method names.
    Two apps can have a whole load of similar method names, but be totally different. Similarly, they could have identical functionality but have totally different method names. So I don't see how that would prove anything other than the use of similar method names. Personally I very much Apple would bother with this method as it would be totally unreliable.