Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has my app been stolen?

healthyutechhealthyutech Posts: 143Registered Users
Not sure what is going on here. I am using Flurry analytics to help me determine real time downloads and other stats. Flurry tracks a new user anytime the user downloads the app and then opens it for the first time with a unique UDID.

Sales have been going great. Now iTunes connect is open and I show 1/3 of the new users as actual sales in the store. The only way this is happening is if my app is somehow being installed on devices that are jailbroken and if my app is being distributed freely in that manner.

Am I missing something? Just to give you some numbers.... 2400 downloads in one day via flurry but only 800 sales in iTunes.

What in the world should I do??
Post edited by healthyutech on

Replies

• IphoneSdkIphoneSdk Posts: 1,394Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited December 2010
    Read the tons of other threads on this.

Your App has been cracked. Happens to basically everyone. You can't really do anything about it. :(
    <b> <a href="http://bit.ly/dEqyOp" target="_blank">iOS Apps</a> | <a href="http://jasapplications.com" target="_blank">Website</a> | <a href="http://twitter.com/jasapplications" target="_blank">Twitter</a> | <a href="http://facebook.com/jasapplications" target="_blank">Facebook</a>
  • healthyutechhealthyutech Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    IphoneSdk wrote: »
    Read the tons of other threads on this.

Your App has been cracked. Happens to basically everyone. You can't really do anything about it. :(

So I am a novice and have a team that works with me on this. Help me understand something. Is there anything we as developers can do to prevent this from happening- anything we can do at all?

I assume once it is cracked, it is being distributed as a cracked app. Is this common and what steps do you all take from here to ensure profits moving forward?

Sorry if this has been covered before. Kind of freakin out here... :mad:
  • J0kerJ0ker Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    So I am a novice and have a team that works with me on this. Help me understand something. Is there anything we as developers can do to prevent this from happening- anything we can do at all?

I assume once it is cracked, it is being distributed as a cracked app. Is this common and what steps do you all take from here to ensure profits moving forward?

Sorry if this has been covered before. Kind of freakin out here... :mad:

I write you here. Have you tried to google words like "yourappname ipa" ? Try to find the cracked ipa of your app... If you succeed you got it.
  • shutterflyproshutterflypro Posts: 87Registered Users @
    edited December 2010
    J0ker wrote: »
    I write you here. Have you tried to google words like "yourappname ipa" ? Try to find the cracked ipa of your app... If you succeed you got it.

Hey J0ker I would also be interested in the process you use in your app to track hacked and what not.
    edited December 2010
    Here we are. The phone-home feature works well and has nothing to do with jailbreaking. It is the same of Flurry. It sends a first-launch activation to the server, with some info like UDID, IP, timezone and so on, plus the "cracked status". The cracked status, obviously, will be TRUE if the app has not been bought on the AppStore. Otherwise it will be FALSE. The phone-home function works both on jailbroken and original devices. If a device is jailbroken does not mean that your app is cracked. Many users jailbreak their iphone to get advanced features, not to install cracked apps. Jailbreaked devices are able to go to AppStore and buy apps.

My tool is AntiCrack by drobnik. You can find it here:
    Cocoanetics | AntiCrack

Good work!
    edited December 2010
    Hey J0ker I would also be interested in the process you use in your app to track hacked and what not.

Hi! As I said in the other thread, I check if the app is cracked. If yes, I don't change anything to my app but I switch to cracked mode and I show manymanymany ads :) The best way to win against piracy is to use it! ;)
  • akacakac Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    J0ker wrote: »
    Hi! As I said in the other thread, I check if the app is cracked. If yes, I don't change anything to my app but I switch to cracked mode and I show manymanymany ads :) The best way to win against piracy is to use it! ;)

Also remember that people can install the same app on as many devices as they have assigned to one account. So I have 5 iPhones in my house under my account. I buy your app and can install it on all 5 iPhones.
    edited December 2010
    akac wrote: »
    Also remember that people can install the same app on as many devices as they have assigned to one account. So I have 5 iPhones in my house under my account. I buy your app and can install it on all 5 iPhones.

How many people have 5 iphones? Do you think this would be enough to cover a discrepancy of 2000 purchases?
  • msencenbmsencenb Posts: 292Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    That being said even if your app has been cracked and pirated it's not always a bad thing.

Basically people who crack apps probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place so the revenue lost isn't a 100% match.

Also with the app store being flooded with apps one of your best weapons for marketing is personal recommendations. The more app installs you have the greater your chance you have of someone recommending it to someone else. Word of mouth is a powerful thing and having your app cracked actually helps in this regard.

If you do want to fight it the best way is probably what Joker mentioned, detect and then either throw up ads, lock down the app, or something else creative.
    Want to get feedback from your users? Check out the beta:

<a href="http://www.iosuserfeedback.com">iOSUserFeedback.com</a>
  • hosamhosam Posts: 252Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Fighting against piracy is for big corps and suck ups. As an indie developer you should never put any effort trying to prevent it. Whatever you do, there will always be a way around it.

Focus on making something cool and fun. The more users you have the more the people start talking about your App and believe it or not but pirated copies can end up making you tons of future users and free publicity.

Never focus on the money and always focus on your App
    -Hosam<br />
    Managing Director, <a href="http://www.taphive.com" target="_blank">Taphive</a>
  • TuneBot CalTuneBot Cal Posts: 2New Users
    edited March 2012
    hosam wrote: »
    Fighting against piracy is for big corps and suck ups. As an indie developer you should never put any effort trying to prevent it. Whatever you do, there will always be a way around it.

Focus on making something cool and fun. The more users you have the more the people start talking about your App and believe it or not but pirated copies can end up making you tons of future users and free publicity.

Never focus on the money and always focus on your App

Thanks for saying that.
    Cal
  • TuneBot CalTuneBot Cal Posts: 2New Users
    edited March 2012
    Not sure what is going on here. I am using Flurry analytics to help me determine real time downloads and other stats. Flurry tracks a new user anytime the user downloads the app and then opens it for the first time with a unique UDID.

Sales have been going great. Now iTunes connect is open and I show 1/3 of the new users as actual sales in the store. The only way this is happening is if my app is somehow being installed on devices that are jailbroken and if my app is being distributed freely in that manner.

Am I missing something? Just to give you some numbers.... 2400 downloads in one day via flurry but only 800 sales in iTunes.

Nice work on sales... a few years ago. How did you push sales?
    How are sales now? What is the app?
    New apps?
  • thewittthewitt Posts: 180iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    That myth about cracked app distribution driving up sales is total rubbish. Always has been.
  • ButcherBolziButcherBolzi Posts: 36Registered Users @
    edited March 2012
    thewitt wrote: »
    That myth about cracked app distribution driving up sales is total rubbish. Always has been.

+1
    <b><a href="http://www.ccbrothers.com" target="_blank">CodeCube Brothers</a></b><ul><li>FontBuilder (free truetype font editor for windows)</li>
    <li>Games for iPhone and WP7 (Check our site)</li>
    </ul>
  • WeekendCoderWeekendCoder Posts: 2New Users
    edited April 2012

I had the same thing going on. Way more users than sales. Try these guys: AntiPi - YouTube They are in beta right now, but I definitely recommend.
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 397Registered Users @ @
    edited April 2012
    I did a search on AntiPi and couldn't find anything but a mention in another forum.

What's interesting about the video is that I can't think of any way to verify what they are saying. They claim to give stats on how many installs they've stopped... how would you know if that's just some random number?

They detect where it's being posted and report it. Couldn't you do the same thing?

They detect the install and link to a valid download, again how would they know it's a valid download or not and it they can, can't we?
  • samurlesamurle Posts: 254Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    KarlJay wrote: »
    I did a search on AntiPi and couldn't find anything but a mention in another forum.

What's interesting about the video is that I can't think of any way to verify what they are saying. They claim to give stats on how many installs they've stopped... how would you know if that's just some random number?

They detect where it's being posted and report it. Couldn't you do the same thing?

They detect the install and link to a valid download, again how would they know it's a valid download or not and it they can, can't we?

This looks like a website fronted by a lot of marketing hype and lingo.

They don't even take time to spell-check their own website for misspellings.

I have a very hard time putting trust into anything they say.