Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iTunes Connect earnings and payments reports: payment per app, how?

BdRBdR Posts: 171Registered Users @ @
edited December 2011 in Business, Legal, & App Store
Hi all,

this is probably a noob question about Apple's financial reports on iTunes Connect, but here goes..

I've developed two game apps and they've been on sale for about 6 months now. Sales went okay-ish, and there are at least some earnings. The first game I developed on my own, and the other game I created together with someone else. I want to share the iTunes earnings of that second app between that other person and myself (we agreed on a certain percentage).

Apple has generously made payments for the sold apps, and as I live in the Netherlands it is made out in EUROs. So now I'm looking at the financial reports in iTunes Connect to see which amount is for the first app, and which amount for the second app. I can download the earnings reports and they report earnings per app so that is good, but they're also split into month and currency (JPY, GBP, USD, CAD, etc) each comprised of about 1~5 units sold.

So now I downloaded about 30 earnings reports, and I've copied the payments details from the iTunes Connect website and put them in a CSV file (btw can't these be downloaded too?). But now I can't find a direct connection between the payments and the earnings, so I mean which app accounts for which amount in the payments.

In short, my main 2 question are:
1) Is there an easier way to download all earnings reports all at once (all weeks all currencies)?
2) How can I find the payments per app, or how do I make a connection between earnings and payments?

cheers,
Bas

btw I've already seen this thread but the analyser program he talks about can't be downloaded anymore, it seems to be offline:
http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/business-legal-app-store/58381-itunes-connect-report-analyzer-paranoids.html
Post edited by BdR on

Replies

• ilmmanilmman Posts: 950Registered Users @ @ @
    edited June 2011
    I believe app viz 2 can do can show u how much y ou made for a particular app
  • thortracthortrac Posts: 72Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    BdR wrote: »
    Hi all,

this is probably a noob question about Apple's financial reports on iTunes Connect, but here goes..

I've developed two game apps and they've been on sale for about 6 months now. Sales went okay-ish, and there are at least some earnings. The first game I developed on my own, and the other game I created together with someone else. I want to share the iTunes earnings of that second app between that other person and myself (we agreed on a certain percentage).

Apple has generously made payments for the sold apps, and as I live in the Netherlands it is made out in EUROs. So now I'm looking at the financial reports in iTunes Connect to see which amount is for the first app, and which amount for the second app. I can download the earnings reports and they report earnings per app so that is good, but they're also split into month and currency (JPY, GBP, USD, CAD, etc) each comprised of about 1~5 units sold.

So now I downloaded about 30 earnings reports, and I've copied the payments details from the iTunes Connect website and put them in a CSV file (btw can't these be downloaded too?). But now I can't find a direct connection between the payments and the earnings, so I mean which app accounts for which amount in the payments.

In short, my main 2 question are:
    1) Is there an easier way to download all earnings reports all at once (all weeks all currencies)?
    2) How can I find the payments per app, or how do I make a connection between earnings and payments?

cheers,
    Bas

btw I've already seen this thread but the analyser program he talks about can't be downloaded anymore, it seems to be offline:
    http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/business-legal-app-store/58381-itunes-connect-report-analyzer-paranoids.html

AppAnnie can do the same thing, and it's free at the moment. I love their reports!
    "Outer Banks (OBX) Traveler" app, a travel guide for Outer Banks, NC lovers!<br />
    "Wisconsin Dells Traveler" app, a travel guide for Wisconsin Dells, WI lovers!<br />
    "Door County Traveler" app, a travel guide for Door Cou
  • BdRBdR Posts: 171Registered Users @ @
    edited June 2011
    I'm not too thrilled about letting a third-party handle the sales figures of my apps, it just seems a little wierd to me.

Anyway when I thought about it some more, connecting the earnings to the payments is a relatively simple task. So I wrote a vbscript to do it, here is what it does:

1) Read all earning and all payments from tab-separated files
    2) Sort them by date, app name and currency
    3) subtract each earning from the payments with corresponding currency (and keep track how much of that payment is left)
    4) convert each earning to currency of payment using calculated exchange rate
    5) write resulting payments per app into new tab-separated file

So in step 3 and 4 it subtracts the earnings from the payment with corresponding currency, and converts it using a calculated "effective" exchange rate. By effective exchange rate I mean the actual payment divided by the original earnings, so this also takes into account any withhold taxes etc.

The end result is that the earnings are converted to the currency of the payments (for me that's EUROs) and divided over the corresponding apps. :cool: I thought other people might find this useful too, so I've attached the script and example input files. Let me know if this helps anyone.

payments_per_app.zip (10kb)
    edited December 2011
    Shortly after I uploaded the first version, I had updated my payments_per_app.vbs script to also handle "free earnings". These are earnings records that contain sales via promocodes. They can be recognised because "Extended Partner Share" is 0.0. With the new script, the output file payments_per_app.txt doesn't just show "Units" for each app at the end of the file, but it makes a distinction between UnitsPaid (actual sales) and UnitsFree (promocode downloads).

Recently I've recieved some e-mails from other developers who also use this script (nice to hear :)). So I've now uploaded the new version 1.1 of the script for everyone to use. The download link is still the same:
    payments_per_app.zip (10kb)
    edited December 2011
    Yesterday I made another small update. Someone notified me that Apple uses the thousand separator in the payment report, for example "1,000.00", and the script crashed with a error "Type mismatch Cdbl" because of that.

This is now fixed, you can get the latest version of the script (v1.2) with the same download link. :)
  • rocotilosrocotilos Posts: 3,295iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited December 2011
    I made an app for this as well. Mine runs in Windows though. It's a small program I wrote using Lazarus. I keep all sales data in my Windows box.

Check it out here.
    edited December 2011
    Your app looks interesting, but when I click on "By Regions (day/week)" and open an earnings report it gives an error message "list index out of bounds (12)". And when I click "By Apps (day/week)" it gives "list index out of bounds (2)".

You don't mention anywhere which report the user is supposed to open or where to get the input reports. Does it need the iTunesConnect earning reports or maybe the "auto-ingest tool" reports?

You could add this info to the readme.txt, and maybe add an example iTunesConnect Report file to the zip (with dummie data of course).

EDIT:
    Oh wait now I see. You can go to "Sale and trends", then click on "Sales" and then click on "Sales Report" to download a daily/weekly report. I only sometimes use "Sale and trends" to see if the daily charts have a spike in sales.