Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you know if user rated your app?

vatechtomvatechtom TorontoPosts: 136New Users @ @
I want to reward a user that rates my app.. Is it possible to know if they completed a submission?

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Absolute proof, no. Anecdotal, yes. What that means is this. I leave a review for your app. You want to reward me. I point out the review in iTunes as being mine. You accept my answer as true. You can see where this is going.

For absolute proof you would have to hack iTunes somehow, as there is no real way due to privacy reasons/laws to determine this.

This problem has vexed developers for as long as I know. We want to give incentives for the person to leave a review, but we have no proof that they actually left the review.
  • ryantcbryantcb Posts: 666Registered Users @ @ @
    A clever (in my opinion) way I have seen an app get good reviews is present a UI to the user asking them to rate the app. The UI has the 5 stars and the user taps these stars to `rate` the app. However they are not rating the app, yet! If in the UI the user taps 3 or less stars another UI is presented asking the user to submit feedback as to why they only rated it n stars. Then the user either leaves you private feedback and is never taken to the app store to leave you a bad review. Or if they rate you 4+ stars then the app rewards them say with extra coins. This puts usr in good mood. We already know user likes your app as they tapped 4+ stars but now with the bonus coins they love it. This is still only done in the app. Then with extra coins and the already shown willingness to give you 4+ stars direct them to the app store where they can leave a review.

So to summarise. Only direct user to app store if they have indicated in your app a rating of 4+, Any lower dont!
    ryantcb wrote: »
    A clever (in my opinion) way I have seen an app get good reviews is present a UI to the user asking them to rate the app. The UI has the 5 stars and the user taps these stars to `rate` the app. However they are not rating the app, yet! If in the UI the user taps 3 or less stars another UI is presented asking the user to submit feedback as to why they only rated it n stars. Then the user either leaves you private feedback and is never taken to the app store to leave you a bad review. Or if they rate you 4+ stars then the app rewards them say with extra coins. This puts usr in good mood. We already know user likes your app as they tapped 4+ stars but now with the bonus coins they love it. This is still only done in the app. Then with extra coins and the already shown willingness to give you 4+ stars direct them to the app store where they can leave a review.

So to summarise. Only direct user to app store if they have indicated in your app a rating of 4+, Any lower dont!

Sounds a bit dodgy. How does this pass review, since it is a form of gaming the app store?
  • ryantcbryantcb Posts: 666Registered Users @ @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »

Sounds a bit dodgy. How does this pass review, since it is a form of gaming the app store?

I dont think it breaches any policies. I just think its a clever way most people haven't thought of.
    dev666999 wrote: »

I dont think it breaches any policies. I just think its a clever way most people haven't thought of.

Clever yes, but it's still gaming the iTunes store. You're getting only positive reviews, and rewarding the user to do so. This is fairly obvious the way you've described it. If the reviewer follows the breadcrumb trail and realizes what is happening, it will most likely be rejected.
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @

Wouldn't do this. However sounds like a good way