Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compress large amount of JPEG pics

TelTikkyTelTikky Posts: 135Registered Users
edited April 2012 in iOS SDK Development
In my current app, I am having a large amount of JPEG pictures. Currently the app sits at the borderline of 20 MB. But I am putting a couple of more features in so it is more likely to be somewhere around 23MB when the app is done.

Is there anyway to compress those JPEG pictures in the app, so when user download the app, the JPEG archive will unpack and decompress the pictures so my app can sit below 20MB in app store?
Post edited by TelTikky on
· ·

Replies

• BrianSlickBrianSlick Treadmill Desk Ninja Posts: 10,516Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited April 2012
    1. The limit is 50MB now. Recently changed.
    2. You can always lower the quality of the JPEGs. More info:

Avoiding Image Decompression Sickness | Cocoanetics
    BriTer Ideas LLC - WWW | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn - Professional iOS App Development. Available for hire.

SlickShopper 2 | Leave a PayPal donation

Free Xcode Tools: NSLog Utility | Getter Utility
    GitHub Projects: BTIKit | BTICoreDataKit

Are you a newbie? Things you should read:
    Definitive Guide To Properties | UITableView Series | A Model (Object) Is A Beautiful Thing
    · ·
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,068Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited April 2012
    TelTikky wrote: »
    In my current app, I am having a large amount of JPEG pictures. Currently the app sits at the borderline of 20 MB. But I am putting a couple of more features in so it is more likely to be somewhere around 23MB when the app is done.

Is there anyway to compress those JPEG pictures in the app, so when user download the app, the JPEG archive will unpack and decompress the pictures so my app can sit below 20MB in app store?

JPEG images do not compress well, if at all. About the only thing you can do is to compress them in PS or another image editor that lets you control the quality setting, and lower the quality (resulting in smaller images.)

Apple generally recommends using PNG images rather than JPEG. The build process compresses the PNG images, and they may be smaller as PNGs than JPEGs. You might want to do a controlled test. Put a PNG into your project and a JPEG version of the same image, then open the .app file and compare the size of the compressed PNG with the JPEG.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
    · ·