Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to stop sound / audio

kevintarr131kevintarr131 Posts: 28New Users @
edited January 2013 in iOS SDK Development
Hi all,
I have two buttons that play two different sounds in my app. I want to create a stop button that will stop playing all the sounds if pressed. Is anybody able to provide me with help on how to go about making a stop button? My code for playing the sounds are below. Any help / guidance is appreciated. Thanks

]]-(IBAction)sound1 {

CFBundleRef mainBundle = CFBundleGetMainBundle();
CFURLRef soundFileURLRef;
soundFileURLRef = CFBundleCopyResourceURL(mainBundle, (CFStringRef) @test1, CFSTR("wav"), NULL);
UInt32 soundID;
AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID(soundFileURLRef, &soundID);
AudioServicesPlaySystemSound(soundID);

}

-(IBAction)sound2 {

CFBundleRef mainBundle = CFBundleGetMainBundle();
CFURLRef soundFileURLRef;
soundFileURLRef = CFBundleCopyResourceURL(mainBundle, (CFStringRef) @test2, CFSTR("wav"), NULL);
UInt32 soundID;
AudioServicesCreateSystemSoundID(soundFileURLRef, &soundID);
AudioServicesPlaySystemSound(soundID);

}

Replies

• mashercakesmashercakes Posts: 789Registered Users @ @ @
    You could use an AVAudioPlayer. That way you can retain the player in a property and then call its stop method.
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/app/talkboard/id416436888?mt=8"; target="_blank">TalkBoard</a> - a communication aid and visual support app for children and adults with autism, communication difficulties or learning difficulties. Available now for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • kevintarr131kevintarr131 Posts: 28New Users @
    Thanks, I will have a look into the AVAudioPlayer. I'm assuming my code as above would need to change and instead I would use the play method? Sorry for the stupid question, I am still new and teaching myself. Thanks
    No worries. Yes you'll need to change all your playing code. Here's a sample from my app TalkBoard. In this example, [self prPlayers] is an NSMutableArray which holds all of the players. This is so that I can loop through the array and stop all of the players if I want to stop all sound.

AVAudioPlayer *audioPlayer = [[AVAudioPlayer alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:filePath error:&error];
    [[AVAudioSession sharedInstance] setCategory:AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayback error:nil];
    audioPlayer.numberOfLoops = 0;
    audioPlayer.delegate = self;
    [[self prPlayers] addObject:audioPlayer];
    [audioPlayer release];
    [audioPlayer play];

- (void)audioPlayerDidFinishPlaying:(AVAudioPlayer *)player successfully:(BOOL)flag {
        [[self prPlayers] removeObject:player];
    }

- (void)stopAllSounds {
        for (AVAudioPlayer *player in [self prPlayers]) {
            [player stop];
            [self audioPlayerDidFinishPlaying:player successfully:YES];
        }
    }

If you want to stop a particular player, you could do:

AVAudioPlayer *player = [[self players] objectAtIndex:x];
    [player stop];

<a href="http://itunes.apple.com/app/talkboard/id416436888?mt=8"; target="_blank">TalkBoard</a> - a communication aid and visual support app for children and adults with autism, communication difficulties or learning difficulties. Available now for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
  • kevintarr131kevintarr131 Posts: 28New Users @
    Thanks, was a real help. I've managed to amend mine and have it working now. Really appreciate your help!
    Glad it helped :)