Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TabBar Or Sliding Menus?

LooN3yLooN3y Posts: 177Registered Users @ @
im at a crossroad right now, im not sure if i should just stick to tabs or go with sliding menus.

sliding menus are nicer and flashier but tabs are simple and take one less step away, but then again i can have more "categories" or directories per say with sliding menus (in the iPad version theres enough tab bar space)

whatever we choose would go for iphone or ipad as well.

its basically a catalog/lookbook app, in which we may implement a shopping cart feature.

im just at a crossroads, do i change my apps structure and make it a sliding menu? or keep it a tab bar?

and for our app we customized each tabbar background and such and changing the appearance of our tabbar, im willing to change if its per say worth it and have or graphics guy make such backgrounds for our sliding app if its worth the effort.

what would you do? sliding menu or keep the old school tabbar?

Replies

• namanhams1namanhams1 Posts: 25New Users
    The difference is not only about 1 less step.
    The slide menu solution is suitable for app that has some kind of "main screen", and "not so important screen". So most of the time the user will be in "main screen". They dont usually have to slide the menu to go to other screen. Take Facebook app as an example.
    If, say, your app has some equivalent screens that the user may likely switch between them frequently, then i think tab bar is more suitable.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @

The difference is not only about 1 less step.
    The slide menu solution is suitable for app that has some kind of "main screen", and "not so important screen". So most of the time the user will be in "main screen". They dont usually have to slide the menu to go to other screen. Take Facebook app as an example.
    If, say, your app has some equivalent screens that the user may likely switch between them frequently, then i think tab bar is more suitable.

Another thought: When in doubt, go with the more familiar OS standard way of doing things. Only use a nonconventional interface if it's clearly superior for your application. Flashy for flashy's sake is not a reason to roll your own interface. If you're "on the fence", go with the standard.

People get very familiar with Apple's standard components like tab bars, and know how to use them without giving it any thought.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • LooN3yLooN3y Posts: 177Registered Users @ @
    thanks for the advice guys, will be sticking to tabbars,

my app isnt dependent on any one screen.