Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple HIG Suggestion

jitendrajitendra Posts: 59New Users @
I want to make orientation only for ipad. i have restricted the iphone orientation.
can i publish this app on Appstore.

apple will sanction this type of apps or reject it.

thanks in advance.

Replies

• Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,116Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    It should be fine. Apple allows landscape-only and portrait-only apps.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • jitendrajitendra Posts: 59New Users @
    @Duncan thank you but can i set portrait orientation to iphone and all orientation support for ipad.
  • givensurgivensur On the Information SuperhighwayPosts: 541Registered Users @ @ @
    Yes. Both of my apps currently in the App Store only work in portrait on iPhone, and work in all orientations on iPad. The HIG never says you cannot do this.
    I make cake apps.
    givensur said:

Yes. Both of my apps currently in the App Store only work in portrait on iPhone, and work in all orientations on iPad. The HIG never says you cannot do this.

When Apple first released the iOS SDK the HIG said you needed to support all orientations. It quickly became clear that some apps did not lend themselves to one or the other of the orientations, so Apple backed down.

I suggest supporting the upside-down version of whatever orientation you support. That involves zero work, and is helpful to the user.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif

• givensurgivensur On the Information SuperhighwayPosts: 541Registered Users @ @ @
    Duncan C said:

When Apple first released the iOS SDK the HIG said you needed to support all orientations. It quickly became clear that some apps did not lend themselves to one or the other of the orientations, so Apple backed down.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that, but I didn't start developing for iOS until about one month before iOS 5 was released, so I missed out on all of the earlier growing pains.
    Duncan C said:

I suggest supporting the upside-down version of whatever orientation you support. That involves zero work, and is helpful to the user.

There seems to be some debate about that. Some people seem to feel strongly one way or the other, but I personally say it just depends on the app, although I tend to lean toward the not supporting the upside-down orientation.

One complaint I've seen repeated is from people who use the lack of upside-down portrait as a workaround for there being no landscape orientation lock. The workaround doesn't work if the app supports upside-down portrait.

Also, Apple's apps don't support upside-down portrait. My assumption is they don't want users to be confused and try to hit the home button when it's actually on top, or expect the camera to be up top when it's actually on bottom. But that's obviously just a guess as to what their motivation is.
    I make cake apps.
    givensur said:

Duncan C said:

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that, but I didn't start developing for iOS until about one month before iOS 5 was released, so I missed out on all of the earlier growing pains.
    Duncan C said:

There seems to be some debate about that. Some people seem to feel strongly one way or the other, but I personally say it just depends on the app, although I tend to lean toward the not supporting the upside-down orientation.

One complaint I've seen repeated is from people who use the lack of upside-down portrait as a workaround for there being no landscape orientation lock. The workaround doesn't work if the app supports upside-down portrait.

Also, Apple's apps don't support upside-down portrait. My assumption is they don't want users to be confused and try to hit the home button when it's actually on top, or expect the camera to be up top when it's actually on bottom. But that's obviously just a guess as to what their motivation is.
    I personally like upside down as an option. Sometimes I'm using my device while it's charging, and its much easier to situate with the cable coming out the top (portrait) or to the left/right (landscape.)

Apple's apps don't support portrait upside-down on the PHONE. They do on iPad. I've always assumed it's so you won't try to hold the phone upside-down if a call comes in while you're using an app in upside-down mode.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif

Duncan C said:

Apple's apps don't support portrait upside-down on the PHONE. They do on iPad. I've always assumed it's so you won't try to hold the phone upside-down if a call comes in while you're using an app in upside-down mode.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I meant on the phone. On the iPad, you should absolutely support the upside-down orientation. That's even stated in the HIG.
    I make cake apps.
  • SundialSoftSundialSoft Posts: 307Registered Users @ @
    Just for further confirmation portrait only on the iPhone & rotate all ways on iPad is fully acceptable.
    Note that on iPad there is also the state of lying flat. Not relevant for most apps but it's something worth mention.
  • jitendrajitendra Posts: 59New Users @