Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many hours should I expect a professional to build an application?

7Swords7Swords Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in iOS SDK Development
I'm new to app development and I'm wondering, for an app similar to a networking site, mostly discussion based (so html5 mostly with a few animations here and there) how many hours might that take a pro or even intermediate talent?
Post edited by Rhade on

Replies

• GHuebnerGHuebner Posts: 665 @ @ @
    I would say the equivalent time it would take a contractor to build a house.

Well, you would really need to define your requirements a bit further. Once you identify the actual scope then someone could estimate how long the components may take. It will also depend if you have a backend already created or are building that, how you will authenticate, etc.

Even then those are estimates not exact-imates.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114 @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    7Swords said:

I'm new to app development and I'm wondering, for an app similar to a networking site, mostly discussion based (so html5 mostly with a few animations here and there) how many hours might that take a pro or even intermediate talent?

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. You need to provide a full functional spec for your application, with all the screen layouts an all the network interactions defined before a developer can give you a meaningful estimate. Otherwise the answer is science fiction.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • GHuebnerGHuebner Posts: 665 @ @ @
    edited May 2013
    How many hours will it take to create a full functional spec???

Just kidding. I saw this quote a while back and thought it was basically true...

'If you want to know how long something will take to build, you have to build it and record your time. Even then you may be wrong.'
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,237 @ @ @ @
    103 hours
  • SundialSoftSundialSoft Posts: 307 @ @
    If you are talking about a linkedin style app then there's the whole web backend to consider. The app itself might take 2 - 3 months depending on complexity.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114 @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    RickSDK said:

103 hours

Come now. I could do it it 102 hours, 34 minutes, and 17 seconds. Slacker!

:)
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    To put another dimension on it...

How professional is your professional?
  • lgehrig1lgehrig1 Posts: 395 @ @
    +1 to dev666999 - I'm gonna assume the OP is looking for Jean Reno, but I doubt they're anything near Natalie Portman :)

But this sounds like a bad idea for an app. A discussion app to be executed on a phone? I hope you're aiming for the tween / sparkly vampire crowd, because I doubt anybody else is that dextrous to be typing long screeds onto a phone screen. It might be bearable on an iPad, but I kinda doubt it.

You might want to knock together a quick prototype and buy coffee for a dozen or so strangers at a Starbucks - in exchange for test driving your prototype. Or wherever your target audience happens to hang out. Just remember that they're going to be in a good mood (free swag will do that - unless your proto totally blows) ... but you can wreck that and get some truth by asking point-blank how much money they would give you "right now" for that app.

While I wish somebody would have given me that advice, it probably would've wrecked one of my more successful apps :) The Chinese market is freaky.

• leeja0081leeja0081 Posts: 10
    Depend on the expert and experienced developer. Time will vary according to knowledge.