Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help with creating an app that can read things like siri does

jkling24jkling24 Posts: 3New Users
I need help developing an app that will read something to someone that a person puts on the app. For example, if a magazine such as sports center wants to join the application, they can upload different sections of their magazine and people can choose what they want to listen to. Once someone chooses what they want to hear, the app will then begin to read the section chosen. For more details please just ask. Also, i'm using Xcode. I would also want this to be a tabbed application

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Does Apple have a public API that does that?

The app itself would be easy to write.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    I don't think there is a text to speech public API in iOS. You would need to use a third party library.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,239Registered Users @ @ @ @
    sorry but im having a hard time figuring out what you are asking. what do you mean by "they can upload different sections of their magazine"? what exactly do you mean by saying that you want your app to upload a magazine? Do you mean that a user can take a snapshot of the magazine using their camera and then your app would read the content?

is so, you are way, WAY beyond basic entry level programming skills here.
  • jkling24jkling24 Posts: 3New Users
    When I say about the sections, I mean something like a news paper. Say the New York Times wants to upload their newspaper. They would upload an online version of their newspaper. They would then divide their newspaper into sections such as sports, news, weather and so on. Then in the app, the user can find New York Times by searching for the news paper, then choose which section of the news paper they would like to listen to. Once they choose it, the app will then begin to read the articles to you
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,239Registered Users @ @ @ @
    hmmm... i still can't figure out how you expect to get the content into your app. How is your app supposed to get the new york times newpaper content? Im very confused.

Are u thinking the new york times will load their newspaper into your app each day? Or that random users will scan in the newspaper and upload the content? Or that your team of developers will scan it in each day?

So if you are holding your iphone in one hand (running your app), and a newspaper in the other hand, how are you envisioning news print to show up on your phone?

I feel like this is a large missing gap in the "idea" here. :/
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    I think the OP is simply trying to figure out how to have a Siri like experience in his app.

Any written word would be read and spoken.

How he gets the text info is secondary.

Copyright issues notwithstanding.
  • jkling24jkling24 Posts: 3New Users
    Youre right, This is kind of confusing to explain on here. But what you said about The New York Times uploading their newspaper, they would upload it to the app everyday. Any newspaper company, even local newspapers, would just have to create an account then upload their daily newspapers.

And yes this would be like having a Siri experience.

So basically, any newspaper printer makes their newspaper online. They then create an account with my app. After their account is created, they then upload their newspapers everyday to the app where any user can access it. Users then can find any newspaper they would like, click on the chosen newspaper, and begin listening. This would be good for on the go people