Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What machine do you develop on? Suggestions

RZApplicationsRZApplications Posts: 82Registered Users
Im currently doing all my development on a 2009 macbook pro 13in. The time has come for me to upgrade from this hunk of crap. I was planning on purchasing a 15in macbook pro (non retina) however the new macbook air seems like it could be a good fit. My only issue is on a 13in screen its a pain in the ass to work on iPad xibs. What do you guys develop on and what do you have any suggestions.
Tagged:

Replies

• refresherefreshe SF, California | Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 365Registered Users @ @
    Given the Pros haven't been updated in a while, right now I'd easily pick the 13" Air over the 15" Pro (non retina) for development. The 13" Air has the same 1440x900 resolution as the 15" Pro, and from all accounts the recent update has blazing SSD speed & killer battery life. Upgrade it to 8GB RAM and it should be a great machine for development. iPad xibs will always be a pain if you're not using a big external monitor.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @

Im currently doing all my development on a 2009 macbook pro 13in. The time has come for me to upgrade from this hunk of crap. I was planning on purchasing a 15in macbook pro (non retina) however the new macbook air seems like it could be a good fit. My only issue is on a 13in screen its a pain in the ass to work on iPad xibs. What do you guys develop on and what do you have any suggestions.

I recently upgraded to a 15" MBP - the current generation. I opted for the matte high-res screen, not the retina display.

I then got a superdrive to HD adapter and put an SSD in the superdrive bay. Now I have a 500 GB SSD and the 750 GB HD that came with it. The SSD is the boot drive, and it rocks.

I have the superdrive in a low-cost enclosure.

The current Air and the newly announced one both have plenty of power for development, but the small screen just wouldn't work for me.

For me, a larger display is key. A 13" display is never going to be a replacement for a 15. Even a 15" is cramped in my view. I have a 2008 Mac Pro that's my primary machine, and run that with 2 monitors, a 23" cinema and a cheap Samsung 1080 HD monitor as a second screen.

Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • kapps11kapps11 Posts: 732Registered Users @ @ @
    I develop on a macbook air 13" (the one released last year -- pretty jealous of the new one). It works wonderfully for development, I upped the ram to 8gb and this thing takes anything i throw at it with ease. I do have a 1080p monitor at my desk, but I find that working fullscreen I can get most things done pretty easily on the smaller screen. As refresh pointed out, the 13" air has the same amount of screen real estate as the 15" pro.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,605New Users @ @ @ @ @

Im currently doing all my development on a 2009 macbook pro 13in. The time has come for me to upgrade from this hunk of crap.

I have one too.

Why do you feel it is a hunk of crap?

• RZApplicationsRZApplications Posts: 82Registered Users
    dev666999 said:

Im currently doing all my development on a 2009 macbook pro 13in. The time has come for me to upgrade from this hunk of crap.

I have one too.

Well my battery desperately needs to be replaced. Also its just showing signs of being old, running slow, startup time, etc. My disc drive is also broke and there is a crack down the place where the screen connects to the macbook.
  • RZApplicationsRZApplications Posts: 82Registered Users
    dev666999 said:

I have one too.

Well my battery desperately needs to be replaced. Also its just showing signs of being old, running slow, startup time, etc. My disc drive is also broke and there is a crack down the place where the screen connects to the macbook.
  • ChosenOneChosenOne London, UKPosts: 9New Users
    I'm using a late-2010 (non-retina) Macbook Pro. I also replaced the superdrive with a 120GB SSD which is used as the boot drive. Unlike Duncan, I didn't opt for the larger HDD as I quite frankly don't need the space. I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster SA350 (23") as the screen with a Griffin elevator stand.

I'm looking to upgrade though as the processor seems to be quite clunky and the speed of it is becoming quite slow. I'm probably going to go for the new Mac Pro when it comes out for speed, storage, and efficiency - RAID storage for the internal drive and for backups. Otherwise, I'd probably go for a 15" retina MBP with some sort of external NAS/Thunderbolt drive for backups.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,605New Users @ @ @ @ @

dev666999 said:

I have one too.

Mine is still fine...although I'm getting the new battery warning. Never leaves the house... I use it as a desktop. I upped the Ram from 2 GB to 8 GB. Made a big difference. Prior to that it was a slug... really slow.

But I'll never buy a mac again. Here's why...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4135260?start=15&tstart=0