Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW! BBCode - How To Make Code In Your Posts Look Nice

RhadeRhade Posts: 661Registered Users @ @ @
edited March 2014 in iOS SDK Development
Edit: Contact any of our moderators for issues related to these rules.

We have turned off HTML formatting, and restored BBCode formatting. So the days of ugly formatting should be behind us. Probably will still have people forgetting to format, but we'll just have to helpfully and courteously encourage the use of code formatting.

So, code formatting now works the way it used to. If you are unfamiliar with BBCode, the tags look like this (without the spaces):

[ code ] // Some code [ / code ]

After removing the spaces, you should wind up with:
// Some code
If you don't like typing these in manually, good news! There is a button you can hit. Look to the top left of your editing area. You see the Bold, Italic, Underline, and Strikethrough buttons? Good. Right next to them is a C button. C for code. Get it? We're exploring the possibility of making it say "CODE", but for now it is just C.

Highlight your ugly, hard-to-read code:

for (Minion *minion in self.lair)
{
[minion doMyBidding];
}

...hit the C button...
for (Minion *minion in lair)
{
   [minion doMyBidding];
}
Aaaaaahhhh, so nice and readable. And hey, as long as you're here, go the extra mile to REALLY make your code look nice: Fix your indenting. Remove comments. Remove methods that don't apply to your immediate problem. You can always preview your post before you make it to verify that it looks nice.

Legacy Posts

We actually have 2 categories of legacy posts (this only matters if you need to edit an older post): 1) Posts from the vBulletin version of this forum, 2) Posts in Vanilla up until tonight. Items in category #1 should be exactly the same. They were BBCode before, they remained BBCode all of this time, and they are still BBCode today. So what I typed above applies just fine.

Category #2 is a little different. These posts will remain formatted with HTML, and they cannot be converted. Editing for these posts will continue to be in HTML. I will link the previous version of this post so that you can read how to to do the code formatting in an HTML post.

How do you know the difference? Look to the bottom left of the editing area. I currently see "You can use BBCode in your post". So I cannot use HTML. If you see "You can use Simple Html in your post" instead, that means what I typed above doesn't apply, go read the old post to figure out what to do.

Post edited by Rhade on
Do not quote questionable posts.
Do not post moderator requests in public. Send a PM.
vvvvv ---- Use the flag button to report spam.

Replies

• RhadeRhade Posts: 661Registered Users @ @ @
    Bump for new instructions.
    Do not quote questionable posts.
    Do not post moderator requests in public. Send a PM.
    vvvvv ---- Use the flag button to report spam.