Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Problems exporting-importing p12 private key for developing on another Mac

designedrightdesignedright Posts: 2New Users
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this great forum and it is a post in distress. I have registered as an iPhone Developer and have went all the way through registering, paying, created all needed certificates and imported them on my machine, with compile errors being for application provision now - so it is ready to create provision and compile for distribution. But when I try to send the certificates to a team-mate coder so he can compile our application on his own Mac, he has problems importing the private key (in P12 file format). After entering the password for importing P12 Private Key, he gets the error:

"An error has occured. Unable to import an item" The contents of this item canot be retrieved

We have been trying for some time and nothing works out. Can anyone help me what can be done so the private key can be imported on another Mac? I am not ready to create a company account because I have to go through company registration which could slow me down, so if anything can be done for me and my team-mate to work together through one certificate, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by designedright on

Replies

• exorcyzeexorcyze Posts: 496Registered Users
    edited February 2009
    I had to switch Macs after I had already been developing and was able to just use the Keychain to Export and then re-import with no problems. If I recall correctly, the Dev Center has a walkthrough on it - did you follow that out of curiosity?
    My Apps on AppStore : <a href="http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301046713" target="_blank">gScale</a> (guitar scales reference), <a href="http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=302865690" target=
  • designedrightdesignedright Posts: 2New Users
    edited February 2009
    exorcyze wrote: »
    I had to switch Macs after I had already been developing and was able to just use the Keychain to Export and then re-import with no problems. If I recall correctly, the Dev Center has a walkthrough on it - did you follow that out of curiosity?

I admit I do not understand certification properly. So I'll ask couple questions:
    1. Can two Macs have the the public / private keys of a single iPhone Certificate at once? Can I have it and my team-mate have it and can we both build using that certificate? Or just one of us needs the certificate while the other must remove it from his keychain?
    2. What is the order of importing public private keys? Do I have to import the public key first (Pem file) and then the private key (P12)?
  • okkercatokkercat Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited August 2009
    I'm gonna go ahead and bump this, because Im having major trouble with this too. I've followed all the instructions on the Dev Center, got my client to export his keys properly, but when I try to import it I get the error above. Also, interestingly enough, the private key (but only the private key) appears in my keychain, and is associated with the proper distribution certificate. I will pay anyone who helps us out 100 bucks. Not really, but cmon guys, this is really frustrating stuff, eh?
  • silverlightsilverlight Posts: 2New Users
    edited October 2009
    till now, I also have similar questions.
    It's kind of interesting, most developers don't need to trasfer private/public keys to their clients.
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on this great forum and it is a post in distress. I have registered as an iPhone Developer and have went all the way through registering, paying, created all needed certificates and imported them on my machine, with compile errors being for application provision now - so it is ready to create provision and compile for distribution. But when I try to send the certificates to a team-mate coder so he can compile our application on his own Mac, he has problems importing the private key (in P12 file format). After entering the password for importing P12 Private Key, he gets the error:

"An error has occured. Unable to import an item" The contents of this item canot be retrieved

We have been trying for some time and nothing works out. Can anyone help me what can be done so the private key can be imported on another Mac? I am not ready to create a company account because I have to go through company registration which could slow me down, so if anything can be done for me and my team-mate to work together through one certificate, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
  • snakewasnakewa Posts: 2New Users
    edited July 2010
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Hope this still helps.

I got the same problem and finally I solve this by:

In Keychain, select three items: Your private key, public key and the cert from Apple

CMD+Click to select "export 3 items"

and you will export one .cer file. Then double click to import the file without keying any password to protect so.
  • maatmaat Posts: 1New Users
    edited May 2011
    Folks,
    you should first import your certificate and them export both - you even set a password to the exported key.

Regards,
    snakewa wrote: »
    Hope this still helps.

I got the same problem and finally I solve this by:

In Keychain, select three items: Your private key, public key and the cert from Apple

CMD+Click to select "export 3 items"

and you will export one .cer file. Then double click to import the file without keying any password to protect so.
  • RichardBronoskyRichardBronosky Posts: 2New Users
    This is still a problem today. If you have to exchange credentials for developing iOS applications, I suggest creating a dedicated keychain to hold all public and private keys and certificates. Then just zip up the keychain file (where ever you created it, but ~/Library/Keychains by default) and send that around. It's much better than having to re-explain this 3 year old issue time and time again.