Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to iOS development, looking for direction

DavidthebardDavidthebard HerePosts: 2New Users Noob
I've recently been presented the opportunity to write a simple app for a company. What I've been told is that they would like an app that allows users to sign in to their accounts, and then displays a stream of information sent from the company to the specific user. Trouble is, nearly all of my experience so far with programming has involved C# coding in the Unity game engine. What are some resources that I could take advantage of to make sure I have the skills necessary to tackle a project like this? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• givensurgivensur On the Information SuperhighwayPosts: 541Registered Users @ @ @
    There's a ton of resources, and books available.

Since you already have OOP experience, I'd recommend the Stanford iOS course that's on iTunes University.

There's also a thread somewhere on here about recommended books, you may want to search for that and check it out.
    I make cake apps.
  • ryantcbryantcb Posts: 666Registered Users @ @ @
    Youtube for free, Lynda.com (courses by Simon Allardice if you can pay, search google for lynda.com 7 day trial, use that to see if you like the courses). Apple docs are very good too. Plus there is always "ask for help" on here
  • smithdale87smithdale87 Posts: 4,447iPhone Dev SDK Supporter @ @ @ @ @
    Other than learning the specific iOS frameworks, you can also put your existing C# skills to use. Check out xamarin.com. It's not free, but it is very useful, IMO.
  • banana_developer_4banana_developer_4 SplitPosts: 29New Users @
    Welcome David.

Here a some few guideliness which helped me on the way:

1. Get yourself a good iOS book (rather not E-book). The book is very usefull because you can write note-s faster and mark pages with markers which lets you get back to things you will use oftern in the beggining like: "Creating Views" , "MVC pattern".
    If you want to get a app running quickly I would recommend :"Head First:Iphone & Ipad Development." It has a lot of examples and written code, however it is not a good in-depth book. There are some threats with great book suggestions. Take a look on the forum.

2. Watch the "Standford University" tutorials mentioned earlier (this is the first one):

3. Scout this forum, and stockExchange. These places are great for learning, asking, and sharing your knowledge.

4. Watch out for free iOS development courses on pages like:
    https://www.coursera.org/
    and alike...

5. Watch out for iOS development seminars aroud you. If you live in a bigger city, there are some seminars where you can learn and talk about development. I just heard for one in my city from a collegue :).

6. Make notes and learn how you learn best. Be persistent, I wish you success :))
  • DavidthebardDavidthebard HerePosts: 2New Users Noob
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions everyone, I know the advice will prove invaluable!