Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching large data sets using Web Service and UITableView/Search Bar

omgitzdaveomgitzdave Rochester, NYPosts: 1 Noob
Hi All - I am a programmer by trade, but new to iOS development. Any advice on my question below would be appreciated!

I created an app that allows users to share stories. Each story is saved to a backend database and is push/pulled via webservice. There are thousands of stories and let's assume there could be millions.

I am now looking to implement a search feature using a UITableView and a Search Bar.

How can I efficiently/quickly search my entire database and display it to a user view a UITableView?

I was thinking of waiting until the user types in a 4 characters, perform a query via webservice to retrieve the first 100 relevant results, load them into a UITableView and then trim the results client-side when the user continues to type in the Search Bar (more than 4 characters).

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Does anyone have any examples of searches thousands of records?

I'm assuming what I want is similar to how the Apple Store search works. They have hundreds of thousands of apps, and their searching is very fast and accurate.

Replies