Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sprite Kit or Cocos2D

JsmallsJsmalls Clifton, VAPosts: 4New Users Noob
I have made a few ios utility and productivity apps, so I have now I have decided to branch out a little more and create an ios game. However, after a decent amount of Googling I cannot decide which 2D game engine to use. I am wondering what is the new 2D popular ios game engine that everyone is using. I have narrowed the search down to two engines Sprite Kit and Cocos2D. Sprite Kit seems newer and is basically Apple's versions of Sprite Kit, but Cocos2D has an amazing community. So, it is hard for me to decide. By any chance does anyone know if Candy Crush uses their own engine, and what engines games like Flappy Bird and Don't Touch the white Tile uses? (I'm guessing Sprite Kit) Just to give you guys a reference about what I will be doing, I will start by making a simple game, kind of like a doodle jump game, but more complex.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 275Registered Users @ @
    If you use Cocos2Dx you can build the same project for Android, Windows Phone 8 and a couple more targets. You can make 3 times the money from the same game.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • JsmallsJsmalls Clifton, VAPosts: 4New Users Noob
    I don't really care about being able to build the same project to multiple devices, there are ways to port the app to android with cocos2d. That is not really a worry to me. I am more curious what is the popular engine currently for developing ios games.
    well cocos2d is only a framework, Unity3d is the most popular engine for developing iOS games
    Oh yeah sorry I meant like frameworks, idk why I was using engine because Sprite Kit isn't even an engine either. Unity would be an option if it didn't cost around 3,000 dollars to develop for ios alone.
    edited April 2014
    Unity3d is free for iOS, the PRO version is 1500$ if you need some special effects.
    Oh really?! I thought it was 1500$ for developing for ios in general then you would have o buy Unity Pro for another 1500$. But, I guess not, I googled it a little and it turns out you are right. Thanks I will use Unity to build my game now.

Thanks so much!
  • billykbillyk Posts: 103New Users @ @
    I've used SpriteKit extensively in last few months to build several simple games. For me it's very simple to use and much better documented (than cocos2d). I think it's a very good choice if you are just trying to build very simple games. The only downside is if you plan to go multi-platforms, you will be out of luck as so far I am yet to find any iOS-to-Android porting technology that supports SpriteKit.

WWDC is coming - and I'd hope Apple will have more interesting thing in store for SpriteKit.
    billyk wrote: »
    WWDC is coming - and I'd hope Apple will have more interesting thing in store for SpriteKit.

SpriteKit does seem to be on the rise. Usually people who had been working with Cocos2d now are switching to SpriteKit and have nothing but good things to say about it.