Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM needed/desirable on an XCode build machine?

josel_devjosel_dev Posts: 15New Users *
Simple question: How much RAM do you think is necessary for my build machine?

I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 2.3GHz i7 QuadCore with 4GB RAM. I run dual HD displays, 4 virtual desktops (so that's 8 "screens"), Yosemite. I'm always running XCode, Simulator, two Safari windows with several tabs each, Mail, iTunes, Terminal, Preview/PDFs, and then often editing images with Pixelmator. It's a super-productive environment, but it can get slow, or maybe it's just me. Or XCode itself.

I'm considering the jump to 8GB (or more?), and looking for insight on whether it's going to improve performance significantly. Thoughts?
Tagged:

Replies

• C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    I have a late 2009 Mac Mini that I remote into for dev work. It came with 4GB of RAM which I used up until Xcode 5. With Xcode 5 I opted to upgrade to 8GB as I was finding the environment, and especially the simulator, very slow. It was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Recently with Xcode 6 I opted to upgrade the HDD to an SSD which was another great move. Of the two the RAM upgrade is more important. As it sounds like you are using yours for more than just development and I'd think these upgrades would be even more important.

It summary, yes the upgrades are worth it.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited November 2014
    For what you're doing, even 8 GB may not be enough. I'd go with 16 GB. OSX compared to Windows is very poor at using RAM. It is a RAM hog.

The slowness is caused by your swap file subbing for not enough RAM.
  • josel_devjosel_dev Posts: 15New Users *
    edited November 2014
    I went with the 8GB upgrade. Huge difference. After my applications load, that's about it for the disk. No paging, which means the UI is consistently snappy and I actually now hear very little disk activity.

Funny, the "Activity Monitor" app still shows all 8GB are used, but the applications only use 3-5GB (and the memory pressure is green and very low). The rest of the RAM I suppose goes to caching functions...a bit of a mystery...but the results are much improved.
  • fredfrgfredfrg USAPosts: 4New Users Noob
    iMac Retina 5K with 32 GB is good or is a waste of money?
  • C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    fredfrg wrote: »

I don't know why a non-server box needs 32GB of RAM.

C6Silver05 wrote: »

I don't know why a non-server box needs 32GB of RAM.

Bragging rights or naivete...

If I was building my own box to run Windows, OS X and Linux, I would go with 16 GB ram, since ram is so cheap.

However, when buying from Apple things get expensive very quickly, as they mark up all of their generic components excessively.

So with Apple, I would go with 8 GB Ram. It will run Xcode very nicely.

If you're also planning on running virtual operating systems, while simultaneously running Xcode, I would go with 16 GB. You'll be happy to have the overhead. The whole point of having enough ram is to avoid the swap file as much as possible.