Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can iOS development be done on a virtual machine?

devOpdevOp IsraelPosts: 2New Users Noob
Is it possible and legal to develop an application on a Windows PC with a virtual machine that has an OS X image on it, and pay only when needing to deploy the application to the app store?
If it is possible and legal, what exactly should I install on my PC regarding the virtual machine and image, and where can I download them from?
Tagged:

Replies

• uvidownloaderuvidownloader Posts: 216Registered Users @ @
    It is possible. But with some restrictions. I used a program called VMWare. But you PC has to support Hardware Virtualization. Not that hard.
  • devOpdevOp IsraelPosts: 2New Users Noob
    edited November 2015
    It is possible. But with some restrictions. I used a program called VMWare. But you PC has to support Hardware Virtualization. Not that hard.

And where can I get an image of OS X?
    Also, will I have a problem deploying an app to the app store using the VM?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    devOp wrote: »
    Is it possible and legal to develop an application on a Windows PC with a virtual machine that has an OS X image on it, and pay only when needing to deploy the application to the app store?
    If it is possible and legal, what exactly should I install on my PC regarding the virtual machine and image, and where can I download them from?

First of all, none of this is "legal" in the USA. You cannot install OS X or Xcode on a PC...either via a partition or virtual machine. However, that has not stopped anyone from doing so.

You're in Israel. I don't know what the rules are there. In Europe, you can install OS X on any PC, but cannot install Xcode "legally". The Xcode limitation is in the developer contract.

Having gotten that out of the way, yes... you can mechanically do what you are attempting.

As for OS X, you can download it free from Apple if you already have a previous install. If not, you'll need a friend to copy the image from. I am sure, you'll have no problems finding one. ;)

Finally, don't use a torrent. You may get viruses and malware too.