Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Competitor's Name As Keyword

LooN3yLooN3y Posts: 177Registered Users @ @
edited January 2016 in iOS SDK Development
Hi,

I recently got a copy infringement email from one of our customer's competitors. They asked me to put their company name in their keyword to get more relevant searches.

They told me that they contacted apple and their law firm, But i read as long as it doesn't confuse the user it should be ok.

No where does it say its 'X' company, they know its our customers company because of the brand name and icon but they both sell the similar product.

they want us to take out their company name out of our keywords.

EDIT:

When we search for their company, our app comes out 1st and their app comes in 2nd.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited January 2016
    Technically, you are not supposed to use competitors' app names and company names as keywords.

Of course if the company name is "Great Stuff" for example, and you break up the words so that it is... Great, Money, Love, Stuff... etc... I really don't see where they have a legit argument.

If you use it as a long tail keyword..."Great Stuff"... then they do have a point.
  • JonPMJonPM Posts: 159New Users @ @
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,240Registered Users @ @ @ @
    on a side note, one of my complaints with the app store, if you type the exact name of an app, that app should always ALWAYS be the first item in the list. No exceptions. Its so annoying when you know the app you are searching for, type in the name, and then have to scroll through 6 pages of apps just to find it.