Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using MapKit with large number of Overlays???

callaggacallagga Posts: 20New Users @
How should I manage a large number of overlays I have (e.g. ~8000 across the country) noting there will be only a small number in a given view typically as the users typically zoom in a bit. Also noting I want to have direction arrows out from the current user location to the currently "visible" overlays (i.e. on the screen) at a given time? There are Overlays and NOT Annotations keep in mind. Specifically:

Q1 - Should I load up all the overlays into the app upfront? Or should I be manually managing myself which ones need to be displays at the given time and load them, remove them?

If I should load them all up up front then:

Q2 - Does MKMapView actually intelligently render them when visible only? It doesn't seem like this???

Q3 - How do I get a list of currently "visible" overlays from my MapView to create the direction pointers from the current user location? I can't see any function in Mapview to allow this? So does this imply I would need to manually check through all overlays (i.e. whole 8000) continually to see which ones are visible manually?

thanks