Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you only have 1 iOS device now, what would you buy for development?

domspantaleondomspantaleon PhilippinesPosts: 1New Users Noob
iPhone SE has launched and I'm now thinking of buying this because
1 - cheaper
2 - has great hardware
3 - new release with great hardware means future iOS version support
4 - smaller screen will force me to design my UI more carefully

But still I have this thinking that, if I will buy, better get the latest 6s which has everything. But is it worth it for development purposes? or maybe 5s is just enough.

I'm new to iOS development by the way however I've been working on this appery project for 2 months now and just testing the app in my android device and not being able to see it on iOS is really hard especially when my colleague who has an iPhone from another country tells me it doesnt look good or works in iOS and we have to skype so he can show me his phone.
Tagged:

Replies

• C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    I don't think it matters much. What matters more is that you have some real hardware in which to test prior to release. The sims can do a great job of showing you what things look like and how they function on numerous devices. However, there are certain features that just won't work on the sim and there will always be performance and other differences. So a real device is a must and if possible 1 phone and 1 iPad. As to which phone/iPad, again I don't think it's a big deal as long it can run the latest iOS version.
  • RickSDKRickSDK Posts: 1,240Registered Users @ @ @ @
    keep in mind 99% of your testing will happen on simulators, which allow for every possible screen size. There are a few things you will want to test on your device, but it shouldn't be anything specific to a certain screen size. If I was you, i'd get the phone you want, and not worry about which one is "best" for testing.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    I agree with Rick. The simulator is just fine for testing screen layout on different sized screens. What the sim WON'T test is app speed/memory use, or dedicated hardware like the motion chip, touchID, etc.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor