Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iOS development vs Android development

Andre99Andre99 ItalyPosts: 1New Users Noob
Hi,
I have been an Android developer since 3 years. Now I need to switch to iOS, because a company I work with needs an iOS app (and also an Android app, but iOS above all).

The Android app is ready to the deploy, and some days ago i started setting up the iOS project. That was the first time: I read many tutorials, watched many videos, recreated the project again, because it's all messed up. And, some minutes ago, I ended up with a solution: I can' create an app for iOS.

I've always been mind-open, that wans't too bad for me to learn something new. But this is different. In Android I have RelativeLayout, WeightedLayout, LinearLayout, and I could do everything with the code. iOS editor is visual-only, and it's completely messed up. Something that looks good in the editor preview looks cutted, out of the screen and other terrible things.

I created the home screen, saw the result, and I closed Xcode, shutted down the computer and went out for a walk as far as possible from my Mac, because I was about to throw it from my window, which is 4 floors from the earth.

I'm looking for someone with some years of experience with iOS programming, who could tell me some good tips about how to start. Thank you for reading

Replies

• Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 262Registered Users @ @
    Why not make the app in Unity or some other engine or framework, why use Xcode. You even have services that clone your apps from Android to iOS. There are probably hundreds of frameworks by now for iOS.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    You can do it in code if you want, but generally speaking unless it is custom, I wouldn't. Sounds like you have not mastered auto-layout and constraints. Don't worry no one does right away. Go watch videos on this subject from Stanford, WWDC, etc. It will start to go better.
  • uvidownloaderuvidownloader Posts: 216Registered Users @ @
    I am in the process or doing the reverse. Going from IOS to android. PM me so we can talk.
    I have a stupid android question. I have been an IOS developer for several years. Currently I am using an old Mid 2010 Macbook pro to create and maintain my IOS app. I few months ago I tried to port some of my apps myself. I downloaded and installed the Eclipse software. I followed a beginning Android development tutorial here: https://www.raywenderlich.com/120177/beginning-android-development-tutorial-installing-android-studio. Everything worked except the part with setting up an android simulator. I got several errors. One error stated that my Macbook doesn't support Hardware virtualization, another error stated that only Intel processors are supported for emulation, a VT error etc. I was wondering if this is just because my Macbook is old. I know that a six year old laptop is very out of date. But at apple's price point of 1,000.00 (1,300.00 now) that I paid for the Macbook in 2010 I plan to keep using it till it dies on my. Is there anyway way around these errors? Kindly reply or email me at uvidownloader@gmail.com or timbojill@gmail.com. I know this is mainly an IOS developer blog but I am sure Andre99 isn't the only person on this site that does both.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,547New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited August 2016
    I have a stupid android question. I have been an IOS developer for several years. Currently I am using an old Mid 2010 Macbook pro to create and maintain my IOS app. I few months ago I tried to port some of my apps myself. I downloaded and installed the Eclipse software. I followed a beginning Android development tutorial here: https://www.raywenderlich.com/120177/beginning-android-development-tutorial-installing-android-studio. Everything worked except the part with setting up an android simulator. I got several errors. One error stated that my Macbook doesn't support Hardware virtualization, another error stated that only Intel processors are supported for emulation, a VT error etc. I was wondering if this is just because my Macbook is old. I know that a six year old laptop is very out of date. But at apple's price point of 1,000.00 (1,300.00 now) that I paid for the Macbook in 2010 I plan to keep using it till it dies on my. Is there anyway way around these errors? Kindly reply or email me at uvidownloader@gmail.com or timbojill@gmail.com. I know this is mainly an IOS developer blog but I am sure Andre99 isn't the only person on this site that does both.

I've done what you have on an old PC that runs both Windows and OS X. The problem you're facing is the processor. Your Intel processor does not support Virtualization Technology. You'll either need to upgrade the processor... hard to do, or get another device to program on.

Simple answer: You're out of luck if you want to use the emulator.

You should be able to plug in an Android device, and test on that, as it does not use the emulator. Lots of cheap ones available these days.

Finally, FWIW, if you could get that emulator running on an old Mac with a VT-x Intel chip, it will run like crap. The iOS Simulator blows doors on anything Android Emulator. It's not at all the same as iOS. It's slow and kludgy. Most users hate the Emulator.
    edited August 2016
    dev666999 wrote: »

I've done what you have on an old PC that runs both Windows and OS X. The problem you're facing is the processor. Your Intel processor does not support Virtualization Technology. You'll either need to upgrade the processor... hard to do, or get another device to program on.

You should be able to plug in an Android device, and test on that, as it does not use the emulator. Lots of cheap ones available these days.

Finally, FWIW, if you could get that emulator running on an old Mac with a VT-x Intel chip, it will run like crap. The iOS Simulator blows doors on anything Android Emulator. It's not at all the same as iOS. It's slow and kludgy. Most users hate the Emulator.

Unfortunately all my devices windows laptop, windows desktop, and Macbook give the same error. I don't personally own am android device that is why I was asking about the emulator. My IOS apps are mostly free with paid advertisements. I only make less that 200 bucks from the advertisements a month so I can't invest on an android device just for testing. Since my Macbook was purchased in 2010 can I buy a refurbished on that is a few years newer? I can't be the only person trying to develop for IOS and Android using the same device.
    edited August 2016
    dev666999 wrote: »

Unfortunately all my devices windows laptop, windows desktop, and Macbook give the same error. I don't personally own am android device that is why I was asking about the emulator. My IOS apps are mostly free with paid advertisements. I only make less that 200 bucks from the advertisements a month so I can't invest on an android device just for testing. Since my Macbook was purchased in 2010 can I buy a refurbished on that is a few years newer? I can't be the only person trying to develop for IOS and Android using the same device.

In my situation, my self built PC had an Intel Dual Core processor that gave that VT-x error. So, I went to Ebay, and bought a used Quad Core Intel processor that had VT-x. It solved my problem, and also allows me to run virtual operating systems.

Your best solution since you're dealing with a Macbook is to buy a later model refurbished one. Find out what processor it's running and look it up on Intel's website to see if it has VT-x. Mostly likely it will. Per Intel, it requires that other components also work to offer VT. The following are for a PC...

A processor with Intel® VT does not guarantee that virtualization works on your system. Intel® VT requires a computer system with a chipset, BIOS, enabling software and/or operating system, device drivers, and applications designed for this feature.

If your BIOS includes a setting to enable or disable support for Intel VT, make sure it is enabled. For Intel® Desktop Boards, enter the BIOS by pressing the F2 key as the system starts.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005486.html

Therefore, find out the specs for the Macbook you wish to buy and check if it offers VT.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=what+macbooks+offer+VT-x
    edited August 2016
    There may be a way to get it working on your old Macbook. Have a look at this post...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28246093/android-app-development-without-virtualization-technology

It also mentions "GenyMotion", an emulator I have not tried.

https://www.genymotion.com/features/
  • vboviovbovio Posts: 431Registered Users @ @
    The Android simulator on Eclipse is garbage, I gave up on it after a few hours of trying to make that shit work, I got a cheap Android device and problem solved. I'm sure you can get a decent used device on eBay for 100 bucks or less (I recommend a Fire Amazon tablet or an old Nexus).
    Also, be advised revenue on Android is poor, for me is around 5% or what iOS provides.
    Can we chat over Google chat about this? The best email address to Google Chat about this is timbojill@gmail.com.