Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is internet/data required to acquire the latitude and longitude?

iphonegamedeveloperiphonegamedeveloper Posts: 434Registered Users @ @
Is internet/data required to get the latitude and longitude? I heard internet is a must for a few device models and not for all. If yes, please let me know the device models which requires an internet connection to get the latitude and longitude.

All the iPods and iPad(Wifi, no cellular) doesn't have built-in GPS.

• Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,116Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    No, internet is not required. You need location services turned on (You need to declare that your app uses location services; you'll need to have an "when in use" or "always" entry in your info.plist, and you'll need to ask the user to authorize their use. This is well documented, if a little involved.)

Then you will need to create an instance of the location manager and ask for location updates. As long as the device is able to acquire GPS signal, you're off and running. (In fact, even if you're not, you'll likely get crude location readings from cell tower readings and nearby WiFi base stations.)

The user will get a message that location readings are more accurate if WiFi is turned on (since the location manager uses a combination of GPS, WiFi, and cell tower data to figure out the user's location.)
    Duncan C

Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor