Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making scroll bar on UITextView always visible?

not_too_shabbynot_too_shabby Posts: 206Registered Users
edited March 2009 in iOS SDK Development
I load in text into a textview from a file. Depending on how much text there is, the user may need to scroll to read it all. The problem is that it is not always obvious that there is more text to read because the scroll bars don't show up until the user touches the text view. Is it possible to make the scrollbars always visible, or how do I make it obvious that there is more text to read?
Post edited by not_too_shabby on

Replies

• PhoneyDeveloperPhoneyDeveloper Posts: 1,431Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    There's no way to make the scrollindicators always visible. Also, they're not scroll bars. You can't use them to scroll.

You can make the scroll indicators flash at various times. I'm not sure if they flash when you add the text to the text view but you can force them to flash. The HIG say that they should flash when a view controller is pushed. I also have them flash when the device is rotated.
  • not_too_shabbynot_too_shabby Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    There's no way to make the scrollindicators always visible. Also, they're not scroll bars. You can't use them to scroll.

You can make the scroll indicators flash at various times. I'm not sure if they flash when you add the text to the text view but you can force them to flash. The HIG say that they should flash when a view controller is pushed. I also have them flash when the device is rotated.

Thanks. How do I make the scroll indicators flash?
  • PhoneyDeveloperPhoneyDeveloper Posts: 1,431Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    [myTextView flashScrollIndicators];

Note that there will be no flash if the text is shorter than the height of the scrollview.
  • not_too_shabbynot_too_shabby Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    [myTextView flashScrollIndicators];

Note that there will be no flash if the text is shorter than the height of the scrollview.

sweet thanks