Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get NO Gloss on Icon in App Store?

StitchStitch Posts: 401Registered Users @ @
edited January 2011 in iOS SDK Development
Hi,

Sorry if i've missed something really basic but how do you get your large App Icon in iTunes without the Gloss look?

I've edited the info.plist so that the small icon doesn't need it but the large one is having Gloss applied.

Note: It only has Gloss when looking through iTunes on a desktop computer. When browsing iTunes on the device it looks fine.

Many thanks
Post edited by Stitch on
<a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311941449&mt=8" target="_blank">BUZZER!</a> : <font color="Sienna">iTunes Library Music Quiz (1 or 2 Player)</font>
· ·

Replies

  • GeoffMilburnGeoffMilburn Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited July 2009
    Q
    · ·
  • MikesTooLzMikesTooLz Posts: 211Registered Users
    edited July 2009
    open your projects info.plist file and add an entry for "Icon already includes gloss and bevel effects" it will give a checkbox for the value. By checking the check mark the gloss will not be displayed on your apps icon.
    <a href="http://twitter.com/MikesTooLz" target="_blank">twitter.jpg</a>
    · ·
  • StitchStitch Posts: 401Registered Users @ @
    edited July 2009
    I've done this but it only changes the Small Icon on the device (this has no Bevel or Gloss).

    The problem I have is that when browsing iTunes on a desktop computer the Large Icon appears to have Gloss put on it.

    I've noticed that a lot of apps don't have this in iTunes and I would like to take it off.

    Do I need to round the corners of my own image? Would Apple then approve it without Gloss?

    Just seems strange.
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311941449&mt=8" target="_blank">BUZZER!</a> : <font color="Sienna">iTunes Library Music Quiz (1 or 2 Player)</font>
    · ·
  • MikesTooLzMikesTooLz Posts: 211Registered Users
    edited July 2009
    if your info.plist has it checked off then it should work for both small app icon and also on itunes. Not really anything you can do about the one on itunes other than try to contact them about it. It may be a glitch in their system.
    <a href="http://twitter.com/MikesTooLz" target="_blank">twitter.jpg</a>
    · ·
  • StitchStitch Posts: 401Registered Users @ @
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, it is strange. If you browse the App Store on the device there is no Gloss but there is if you browse through iTunes on a computer.

    I definitely have the correct information in my plist as the Icon looks fine (no Gloss) when the app is installed.

    I may try sending them an email. I do like everything to be just right. :)
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311941449&mt=8" target="_blank">BUZZER!</a> : <font color="Sienna">iTunes Library Music Quiz (1 or 2 Player)</font>
    · ·
  • StitchStitch Posts: 401Registered Users @ @
    edited July 2009
    FIXED.

    I reuploaded the App Store Icon as 512 x 512 @ 72 dpi (Jpeg).

    Was originally 512 x 512 @ 300 dpi (tiff).

    Hope this helps others.

    Cheers
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311941449&mt=8" target="_blank">BUZZER!</a> : <font color="Sienna">iTunes Library Music Quiz (1 or 2 Player)</font>
    · ·
  • CoreyCorey canadaPosts: 120Registered Users @ @
    edited July 2009
    Stitch wrote: »
    FIXED.

    I reuploaded the App Store Icon as 512 x 512 @ 72 dpi (Jpeg).

    Was originally 512 x 512 @ 300 dpi (tiff).

    Hope this helps others.

    Cheers

    Good to know! No Tiffs!

    Thanks!
    · ·
  • savpansavpan Posts: 4New Users
    edited August 2010
    It seems that the same glossy effect happens when you use a .png 512x512 file...!

    So, no .png files as well! ;)
    · ·
  • PKonstPKonst Posts: 3New Users Noob
    edited December 2010
    Hi,
    looks like JPG trick doesn't work for 2-3 weeks now, icons still have Glossy effects on them.
    BUT, I saw new games in AppStore without Glossy addition, how they handle that now?
    · ·
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    PKonst wrote: »
    Hi,
    looks like JPG trick doesn't work for 2-3 weeks now, icons still have Glossy effects on them.
    BUT, I saw new games in AppStore without Glossy addition, how they handle that now?


    Eh, I'd like to know about this too... JPEG, PNG or TIFF ??

    Many thanks.
    · ·
  • baja_yubaja_yu Posts: 6,190Moderators, Registered Users Admin
    edited January 2011
    The 512x512 (iTunesArtwork - App Store icon) is a different case than the app icon (57x57). The first one gets no effects added to it. What you do will be what you see. The app icon should be designed plain and rectangular. The effects like gloss and rounded corners are added automatically. There's nothing you can do about the rounded corners and the drop shadow, but if you want to exclude the gloss, you can add the "Icon already includes gloss effects" to your info.plist. iOS will assume you added it so it wont add it.

    This is all covered in the Human Interface Guidelines in the documentation: Loading…
    · ·
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    baja_yu wrote: »
    The 512x512 (iTunesArtwork - App Store icon) is a different case than the app icon (57x57). The first one gets no effects added to it. What you do will be what you see. The app icon should be designed plain and rectangular. The effects like gloss and rounded corners are added automatically. There's nothing you can do about the rounded corners and the drop shadow, but if you want to exclude the gloss, you can add the "Icon already includes gloss effects" to your info.plist. iOS will assume you added it so it wont add it.

    This is all covered in the Human Interface Guidelines in the documentation: Loading…


    Thanks for the answer, but the O.P was aware of this information.

    Anyone had sucess with no gloss in iTunes recently? What was uploaded? PNG, TIFF, JPEG?
    · ·
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Anyone :) ?
    · ·
  • moezzzmoezzz Posts: 236Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Espresso wrote: »
    Anyone :) ?

    Yes, just upload iTunesArtwork icon with no glass effect made by yourself on it.

    Make sure you make "Icons already includes blah blah blah" check inside info.plist file.






    Check out my Free/Awesome Apps

    EASYCOPY - Send Texts Over Wi-Fi like what they do in a sci-fi movie :)
    · ·
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    moezzz wrote: »
    Yes, just upload iTunesArtwork icon with no glass effect made by yourself on it.

    Make sure you make "Icons already includes blah blah blah" check inside info.plist file.

    Ok. So your icon appears "no gloss" on iTunes? What did you upload? JPEG, TIFF, PNG?
    · ·
  • moezzzmoezzz Posts: 236Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Espresso wrote: »
    moezzz wrote: »
    Yes, just upload iTunesArtwork icon with no glass effect made by yourself on it.

    Make sure you make "Icons already includes blah blah blah" check inside info.plist file.

    Ok. So your icon appears "no gloss" on iTunes? What did you upload? JPEG, TIFF, PNG?



    All images I use/ you should use for Apple Product should be in PNG format.
    · ·
Sign In or Register to comment.