Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about UIRequiresPersistentWiFi usage

ktapktap Posts: 47Registered Users
edited July 2009 in iOS SDK Development
The way i'm developing my app is that during the initial load/first view it'll connect to my server and download database updates (if any), and that's the only time it'll need a network connection. I've already coded net detection code that displays an alert to the user if a network connection isn't available, as per the Human Interface Guidelines.

Now, my question is about UIRequiresPersistentWiFi. From the documentation:
If your application accesses the network using the Wi-Fi radios, you must notify the system of that fact by including the UIRequiresPersistentWiFi key in the application’s Info.plist file.

Makes sense.... but then it says:
It also lets the system know that it should not attempt to shut down the Wi-Fi hardware while your application is running.

To prevent the Wi-Fi hardware from using too much power, iPhone OS has a built-in timer that turns off the hardware completely after 30 minutes if no application has requested its use through the UIRequiresPersistentWiFi key. If the user launches an application that includes the key, iPhone OS effectively disables the timer for the duration of the application’s life cycle. As soon as that application quits, however, the system reenables the timer.

Like I said, my application is designed to only need Wifi during the initial loading/first view, not for the entire time the app is running.

So, do I still need to include the UIRequiresPersistentWiFi key? It seems like a waste in my case, but I don't want to get rejected.
Post edited by ktap on
<b><a href="http://www.kilotonapps.com/"; target="_blank">Kiloton Applications</a></b>

Replies