Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

NSMutableArray to NSArray

loddy1234loddy1234 Posts: 38Registered Users
edited October 2010 in iPhone SDK Development
how do you convert a mutable array to an array? and vica versa
Post edited by loddy1234 on

Replies

• smashersmasher Posts: 3,858Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited October 2010
    NSMutableArray *myMutableArray = [myArray mutableCopy];

and
    NSArray *myArray = [myMutableArray copy];

There's not much reason to do the second one since NSMutableArray does everything that NSArray does, unless you expect the mutable array to change and you want a copy of its current state.

Two things to keep in mind: (1) both of these methods return an object with a retainCount of 1, just like alloc+init does. You own these objects and must release them somewhere. And (2) neither method makes copies of the items themselves, just the pointers. It's like having a list of postal adresses and photocopying the list - that doesn't automagically create duplicate houses. That would be a "deep copy."
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 8,994Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited October 2010
    smasher wrote: »
    NSMutableArray *myMutableArray = [myArray mutableCopy];

and
    NSArray *myArray = [myMutableArray copy];

There's not much reason to do the second one since NSMutableArray does everything that NSArray does, unless you expect the mutable array to change and you want a copy of its current state.

Two things to keep in mind: (1) both of these methods return an object with a retainCount of 1, just like alloc+init does. You own these objects and must release them somewhere. And (2) neither method makes copies of the items themselves, just the pointers. It's like having a list of postal adresses and photocopying the list - that doesn't automagically create duplicate houses. That would be a "deep copy."

Smasher,

I didn't realize that sending a copy method to a mutable array (e.g. [aMutableArray copy]) would return an immutable copy, but I just looked into it, and you are absolutely right.

That seems counter-intuitive.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • smashersmasher Posts: 3,858Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited October 2010
    Duncan C wrote: »
    I didn't realize that sending a copy method to a mutable array (e.g. [aMutableArray copy]) would return an immutable copy, but I just looked into it, and you are absolutely right.

That's an oddity in Apple's docs that I've never seen explained - whenever a class lists a protocol but has another class in parenthesis, it apparently means that the class only implements the protocol through the superclass. For example, this:
    [B]NSMutableArray Conforms to:[/B]
    NSCoding (NSArray)
    NSCopying (NSArray)
    NSMutableCopying (NSArray)
    NSFastEnumeration (NSArray)
    NSObject (NSObject)

There's important information there - like if you call NSCoding to encode a mutable array, you get an immutable array back when you decode - but only if you know the secret code. Otherwise it's a nasty surprise.

Ditto for anyone expecting UIImageView to play nice with NSCoding. Maybe Apple explains that somewhere, but if so I missed it.
    That seems counter-intuitive.

It is, but if it weren't true then "copy" and "mutableCopy" would do the same thing on a mutable array, and you'd need a "immutableCopy" method to get a nonmutable copy; so I can see why they done what they done.