Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Using Shark

RegularKidRegularKid Posts: 121Registered Users
edited December 2009 in iPhone SDK Development
Hi, I've posted on both the official apple developer forums and the new iPhone dev forums without any responses :( Can anyone help me figure out how to use Shark through XCode to profile my iPhone app?

Here's my post:

Hi, I'm trying to do some performance tuning and am having some trouble using Shark.

Problem #1: No matter what configuration I choose ( debug, release, simulator, device ) the "Shark" menu item under "Run" in XCode is greyed out. How do I enable this feature so I can run my application using Shark through XCode?

Problem #2: I've been able to run Shark on it's own while my iPhone simulator is running and have tried to capture my application. However, for some reason my application name "TestApp" shows up multiple times in the drop down in Shark when selecting which process to monitor. They all have the "TestApp" and most of them have a number after it such as 94452. Any ideas on why this happens and which one is the process I should choose?

Problem #3: I've tried simply selecting one of the four or five "TestApp" processes from the Shark drop down and running it. It does capture information and gives me the results, however most of the symbols are missing even though my project has "Gererate Debug Symbols" check box checked in the project settings. Is there something else I need to do in order to get all symbols to show up?

My hope is that by fixing problem #1, it will automatically fix problems #2 and #3.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Post edited by RegularKid on

Replies

• gibson10magibson10ma Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    I haven't read it myself yet, but you may want to take a look at the Shark User Guide in the iPhone documentation.
  • gibson10magibson10ma Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited March 2009
    to clarify, you'll have to look in the 3.0 beta docs
  • Akshay ShahAkshay Shah Posts: 314Registered Users
    edited December 2009
    RegularKid wrote: »
    Hi, I've posted on both the official apple developer forums and the new iPhone dev forums without any responses :( Can anyone help me figure out how to use Shark through XCode to profile my iPhone app?

Here's my post:

Hi, I'm trying to do some performance tuning and am having some trouble using Shark.

Problem #1: No matter what configuration I choose ( debug, release, simulator, device ) the "Shark" menu item under "Run" in XCode is greyed out. How do I enable this feature so I can run my application using Shark through XCode?

Problem #2: I've been able to run Shark on it's own while my iPhone simulator is running and have tried to capture my application. However, for some reason my application name "TestApp" shows up multiple times in the drop down in Shark when selecting which process to monitor. They all have the "TestApp" and most of them have a number after it such as 94452. Any ideas on why this happens and which one is the process I should choose?

Problem #3: I've tried simply selecting one of the four or five "TestApp" processes from the Shark drop down and running it. It does capture information and gives me the results, however most of the symbols are missing even though my project has "Gererate Debug Symbols" check box checked in the project settings. Is there something else I need to do in order to get all symbols to show up?

My hope is that by fixing problem #1, it will automatically fix problems #2 and #3.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Use Device not simulator in the top left drop down in xcode.
    Then the Shark option is enabled..

:)
    If you think I did help you, you can always thank me by buying <br />
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331475779&mt=8" target="_blank">iHoldMore</a> - A very nice and addictive game...<br />
    <br />
    Need a m