Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to add a line to a UITextView

vincefriedvincefried Hamburg, GermanyPosts: 48Registered Users @
edited April 2011 in iPhone SDK Development
Hi everybody!

I am currently programming on something like a peer-to-peer Chat-App. I have a textfield and a textview.
-(IBAction) sendData:(id)sender{

NSString *str=mTextField.text;
	[mSession sendData:[str dataUsingEncoding: NSASCIIStringEncoding] toPeers:mPeers withDataMode:GKSendDataReliable error:nil];

}

- (void) receiveData:(NSData *)data fromPeer:(NSString *)peer inSession: (GKSession *)session context:(void *)context
{    
	NSString* aStr;
	aStr = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:data encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding];
	NSLog(@"Received Data from %@",peer);
	mTextView.text=aStr;

}

When I type in something in, the text of the textview appears. When I repeat that the text CHANGES. But I want to add a line. Could somebody please tell me how to do that?

vincefried
Post edited by vincefried on

Replies

• reficulreficul Posts: 190Registered Users @ @
    edited April 2011
    You can try to use stringByAppendingString.
    mTextview.text = [mTextview.text stringByAppendingString:aStr];

Remember to release your alloced string.
    <font face="Century Gothic"><font size="1"><font color="Red">If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers.</font><br />
    <br />
    Homer J Simpson</font></font>
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,034Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited April 2011
    vincefried wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

I am currently programming on something like a peer-to-peer Chat-App. I have a textfield and a textview.
    -(IBAction) sendData:(id)sender{

NSString *str=mTextField.text;
    	[mSession sendData:[str dataUsingEncoding: NSASCIIStringEncoding] toPeers:mPeers withDataMode:GKSendDataReliable error:nil];

}

- (void) receiveData:(NSData *)data fromPeer:(NSString *)peer inSession: (GKSession *)session context:(void *)context
    {    
    	NSString* aStr;
    	aStr = [[NSString alloc] initWithData:data encoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding];
    	NSLog(@"Received Data from %@",peer);
    	mTextView.text=aStr;

}

When I type in something in, the text of the textview appears. When I repeat that the text CHANGES. But I want to add a line. Could somebody please tell me how to do that?

vincefried

Several things:

In one part of your code you call it mTextField, and in another part you call t mTextView. Do you have two different text objects?

Are you using UITextView or UITextField objects? A UITextView is a multi-line, scrollable text object.

If you are creating UITextFields, though, I don't think they are set up to display multiple lines of text.

If you're using a UILabel (read-only) they default to a single line, but can be set up to display multiple lines. To do that set the numberOfLines property to 0.

Next, assuming you're using a UITextView, you will need to append new text to the end of the old. To get the new text to begin on a new line, you'll need to add a carriage return at the end of the old text. Something like this:

myTextView.text = [myTextView.text stringByAppendingFormat: @"\n%@", newText];

Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • vincefriedvincefried Hamburg, GermanyPosts: 48Registered Users @
    edited April 2011
    ... I didn't describe it right... first you connect over peer-to-peer to another device. Then, you have a textfield and a textview. in the textfield, you type in something, and then it displays the typed text in the textview of your peer. the textview is not editable. there's a "send"-button, which is connected to the sendData-action. everytime, I press the send button, the text in the textview of my peer will be replaced by the new text, I typed in, but it should be added in a new line, just like a messenger. I hope that helped ;)
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,034Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited April 2011
    vincefried wrote: »
    ... I didn't describe it right... first you connect over peer-to-peer to another device. Then, you have a textfield and a textview. in the textfield, you type in something, and then it displays the typed text in the textview of your peer. the textview is not editable. there's a "send"-button, which is connected to the sendData-action. everytime, I press the send button, the text in the textview of my peer will be replaced by the new text, I typed in, but it should be added in a new line, just like a messenger. I hope that helped ;)

Ok, so take the contents of your text field and/or the response from the server and append it to the contents of the text view as I outlined in my post.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • vincefriedvincefried Hamburg, GermanyPosts: 48Registered Users @
    edited April 2011