Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenCV framework on iPhone possible?

ambymanambyman Posts: 7New Users
edited September 2009 in iOS SDK Development
Hi all,

I am a bit new to XCode. I been looking to see the possibility to use OpenCV framework on iPhone.

I got the framework from Mac_OS_X_OpenCV_Port - OpenCV Wiki

I see the framework works fine with MAC OS X but doesn't seem to work with iPhone SDK on my initial attempts.

Does anyone know if the SDK will compile with third party framework? Anyone attempted this before? Any suggestions/comments ?

going back to the code for now...

thanks for checking my post.
Post edited by ambyman on

Replies

  • ambymanambyman Posts: 7New Users
    edited December 2008
    I spent several hours playing and reviewing the openCV framework yst... it looks like the universal build won't work for iPhone. I am thinking I will need to create a custom OpenCV framework build for iphone's processor. It would be an interesting project to do.

    Since I am skeptical how well will the code performance on iPhone and i am just looking for some simple processing functions, I am going to develop my own code for what i need for now :P However, I will resume on this work later on....

    if anyone is doing the same thing or has any suggestion on a different approach getting the opencv framework working... please let me know.

    chao~
    -A
  • almeida80almeida80 Posts: 2New Users
    edited January 2009
    Hi, I trying to use the OpenCV with iPhone. I tested a private framework that comes with a sample application, see PrivateFramework - OpenCV Wiki. But it works only for Mac OS app until now. The iPhone 2.0 simulator fail after while it start the application. Maybe the framwork should be added to private frameworks inside the iPhone simulator.
    Another problem is that this framework doesn't come inside the real iPhone. Maybe with jailbreaking it could work but that's not a good solution.
    Any help or ideas will be apretiate,
    :)
  • stonestone Posts: 7New Users
    edited June 2009
    dll can be used in iPhone , right ? so why not use opencv dll directly ?
    welcome to talk about this issue , I am familar with opencv.
    my email : blueman.sh@gmail.com
    skype : bluestone007

    welcome to talk about iPhone development and opencv.
  • almeida80almeida80 Posts: 2New Users
    edited June 2009
    stone wrote: »
    dll can be used in iPhone , right ? so why not use opencv dll directly ?
    welcome to talk about this issue , I am familar with opencv.
    my email : blueman.sh@gmail.com
    skype : bluestone007

    welcome to talk about iPhone development and opencv.

    hi, a lot of time since the last comment.
    I'm using the OpenCV static library for iPhone 2.x and 3.0 and it just works.
    I made a really nice product for the iPhone platform using OpenCV. It's on sale state now in the App Store, it's named Morphing Animal version 1.0.
    The only way to reuse C source code in the iPhone is through static library.
    So in order to use the OpenCV inside the iPhone, you must generate the static library, and after that you can reuse some parts of OpenCV.
    There is some issues with OpenCV and iPhone. I found for instance that it's important to convert image from UIImage to IplImage each time. The cvLoadImage it's not suported inside the iPhone. ....
  • stonestone Posts: 7New Users
    edited June 2009
    Glad to hear that and congratulations for your Morphing Animal.

    That is cool product. You must get a lot money from that , hope that so.

    So could you point out one link to the final solution to make opencv statlic library to be used on iPhone ?

    Thanks,
  • pix0rpix0r Posts: 2New Users
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone gotten this working with iPhone SDK 3.0? My project compiles and runs fine on 2.2, but now that the UIImagePickerController has changed significantly I need to rebuild for 3.0. To do this I'm using static libraries - the setting STANDARD_C_PLUS_PLUS_LIBRARY_TYPE is set to "static". When I compile I get the linker error: "library not found for -lstdc++-static".

    Is there an alternative flag to pass to the linker to get this working with 3.0?

    For what it's worth, this was the reference I used to get this running: yoshimasa niwa - Using OpenCV on iPhone

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
  • pix0rpix0r Posts: 2New Users
    edited July 2009
    pix0r wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten this working with iPhone SDK 3.0? My project compiles and runs fine on 2.2, but now that the UIImagePickerController has changed significantly I need to rebuild for 3.0. To do this I'm using static libraries - the setting STANDARD_C_PLUS_PLUS_LIBRARY_TYPE is set to "static". When I compile I get the linker error: "library not found for -lstdc++-static".

    Is there an alternative flag to pass to the linker to get this working with 3.0?

    For what it's worth, this was the reference I used to get this running: yoshimasa niwa - Using OpenCV on iPhone

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    Looks like Apple somehow left libstdc++-static.a out of the iPhoneOS-SDK3.0 package. Adding the iPhoneOS-SDK2.2 libraries to the "Library Search Paths" option in project settings fixed my issue.
  • gagandeepbgagandeepb Posts: 88Registered Users
    edited September 2009
    almeida80 wrote: »
    hi, a lot of time since the last comment.
    I'm using the OpenCV static library for iPhone 2.x and 3.0 and it just works.
    I made a really nice product for the iPhone platform using OpenCV. It's on sale state now in the App Store, it's named Morphing Animal version 1.0.
    The only way to reuse C source code in the iPhone is through static library.
    So in order to use the OpenCV inside the iPhone, you must generate the static library, and after that you can reuse some parts of OpenCV.
    There is some issues with OpenCV and iPhone. I found for instance that it's important to convert image from UIImage to IplImage each time. The cvLoadImage it's not suported inside the iPhone. ....

    Do you have any idea how can we do face morphing like i want to generate possible baby face from male and female photos. Is this possible though IPhone SDK APIs ?

    Thanks,
    Gagandeep
Sign In or Register to comment.