Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

App logo is still glossy... (512 px)

SmOgSmOg Posts: 60Registered Users
edited September 2011 in iOS SDK Development
After itunes connect update the new application i submited has a glossy effect, even if i already added the line (icon already has the glossy effect - yes function)

Anyone else faceing the same problem?
Post edited by SmOg on
· ·

Replies

• rocotilosrocotilos Posts: 3,292iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited August 2011
    Hey, yes I have just observed this problem in my latest app update yesterday. Prev version does not have "icon already has a glossy effect" in plist. But latest version I put that in because I don't want a glossy effect to apply automatically by itunes. But after i uploaded, the glossy effect remains.. not sure why though...
    · ·
  • BrianSlickBrianSlick Treadmill Desk Ninja Posts: 10,507Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited August 2011
    I just saw that with a new app. I'm assuming/hoping it will get sorted out by the time it appears on the store.
    BriTer Ideas LLC - WWW | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn - Professional iOS App Development. Available for hire.

SlickShopper 2 | Leave a PayPal donation

Free Xcode Tools: NSLog Utility | Getter Utility
    GitHub Projects: BTIKit | BTICoreDataKit

Are you a newbie? Things you should read:
    Definitive Guide To Properties | UITableView Series | A Model (Object) Is A Beautiful Thing
    · ·
  • baja_yubaja_yu Posts: 6,189Moderators, Registered Users Admin
    edited August 2011
    Yep. ITC doesn't seem to be aware of the bundle setting in info.plist, but it should be fine once it goes live.
    · ·
  • StoreboughtmilkStoreboughtmilk Posts: 121Registered Users @ @
    edited August 2011
    I have had the same problem.

To fix it, simply re-upload your 512.PNG after you have uploaded your app to itunes connect. Once your app says waiting for review, your good to upload the image. It won't gloss over if you use this technique.

-Andrew
    · ·
  • rocotilosrocotilos Posts: 3,292iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited August 2011
    Hey Storeboughtmilk,

thanks for sharing this method. It works!

Thanks.. :)
    · ·
  • Paul SlocumPaul Slocum Posts: 413Registered Users @ @
    edited August 2011
    Same problem here, thanks for the fix.
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Ok, I think I spoke too soon. Today, the icon revert back to being glossy!!! WTH???

Im just gonna wait until apple approves it... hopefully it follows my plist then.
    · ·
  • SmOgSmOg Posts: 60Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    I have had the same problem.

To fix it, simply re-upload your 512.PNG after you have uploaded your app to itunes connect. Once your app says waiting for review, your good to upload the image. It won't gloss over if you use this technique.

-Andrew

Yep i tried it several time. After 10-15 min it goes back to glossy. Apple screwed this with the Itunes Connect update. Hope it will be fixed
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    SmOg wrote: »
    Yep i tried it several time. After 10-15 min it goes back to glossy. Apple screwed this with the Itunes Connect update. Hope it will be fixed

I hope so too. I hate to resubmit a dummy update just for the icon. :(
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    rocotilos wrote: »
    I hope so too. I hate to resubmit a dummy update just for the icon. :(

Ye, the good old "minor bugfixes" chagelog... :)
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Hi all,

If you upload the picture after you upload the your app, it will not become glossy. Well, at least it hasn't for me (15 apps in the store). Make sure your app is "waiting for review" then upload your 512.png. Let me know if it works. :)

-Andrew
    · ·
  • BrianSlickBrianSlick Treadmill Desk Ninja Posts: 10,507Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited August 2011
    Since the setting that controls the appearance is in the app, and since you can upload the icon before you upload the binary, it makes sense that the preview might not be correct. They are guessing, and apparently they decided to guess glossy. It could either be a bug or an oversight that the appearance does not get corrected after the binary is uploaded.

I don't really care what the icon shows in iTunes Connect, I care what it shows on the App Store. So unless someone has a story about the icon appearing wrong - despite what the binary setting is - in the App Store, then there isn't yet a reason to worry about it.
    BriTer Ideas LLC - WWW | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn - Professional iOS App Development. Available for hire.

SlickShopper 2 | Leave a PayPal donation

Free Xcode Tools: NSLog Utility | Getter Utility
    GitHub Projects: BTIKit | BTICoreDataKit

Are you a newbie? Things you should read:
    Definitive Guide To Properties | UITableView Series | A Model (Object) Is A Beautiful Thing
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Hi all,

If you upload the picture after you upload the your app, it will not become glossy. Well, at least it hasn't for me (15 apps in the store). Make sure your app is "waiting for review" then upload your 512.png. Let me know if it works. :)

-Andrew
    U sure about PNG? As i know the 512 logo only accept JPG files.
    · ·
  • baja_yubaja_yu Posts: 6,189Moderators, Registered Users Admin
    edited August 2011
    SmOg wrote: »
    U sure about PNG? As i know the 512 logo only accept JPG files.

https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/iTunesConnect_DeveloperGuide.pdf Page 11
    · ·
  • rkyrky Posts: 1New Users
    edited August 2011
    BrianSlick wrote: »
    Since the setting that controls the appearance is in the app, and since you can upload the icon before you upload the binary, it makes sense that the preview might not be correct. They are guessing, and apparently they decided to guess glossy. It could either be a bug or an oversight that the appearance does not get corrected after the binary is uploaded.

I don't really care what the icon shows in iTunes Connect, I care what it shows on the App Store. So unless someone has a story about the icon appearing wrong - despite what the binary setting is - in the App Store, then there isn't yet a reason to worry about it.

Has appeared wrong for me. App appeared on the app store with gloss effect now...

By the way, I also tried re uploading the 512 icon after it has changed to "Waiting for review" and it still changed back to gloss.
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    rky wrote: »
    Has appeared wrong for me. App appeared on the app store with gloss effect now...

By the way, I also tried re uploading the 512 icon after it has changed to "Waiting for review" and it still changed back to gloss.

So seems the only way is to write Apple...
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Bummer,

I am sorry to hear it didn't wok for ya. Hopefully, if its a bug, apple will fix it soon.

-Andrew
    · ·
  • zinzin Posts: 17Registered Users *
    edited August 2011
    I'm experiencing the same problem, both ITC and App Store showing glossy effect even though I have set UIPrerenderedIcon to <true/> but it is fine on the device. What should I do?
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys,

Oddly enough, same thing just happened to my newest app. I wrote apple and i'll keep you posted on what they say.

-Andrew
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys,

Oddly enough, same thing just happened to my newest app. I wrote apple and i'll keep you posted on what they say.

-Andrew

Just did the same. Wrote to apple with screenshot. Hope those apps which are already approved will be also fixed by them... Resubmiting is pretty odd just for an icon change....
    · ·
  • DeeJayDeeJay Posts: 6New Users
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

same problem here.

In iTunes Connect and on the iPhone the App icons are still without glossy.
    Just in iTunes on Mac and in the iTunes App on the iPhone the icons have the glossy effect.

@Storeboughtmilk - your method is not working for me too :(

@SmOg - Do you have an answer from Apple?

Greetz
    DeeJay
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    DeeJay wrote: »
    Hi,

same problem here.

In iTunes Connect and on the iPhone the App icons are still without glossy.
    Just in iTunes on Mac and in the iTunes App on the iPhone the icons have the glossy effect.

@Storeboughtmilk - your method is not working for me too :(

@SmOg - Do you have an answer from Apple?

Greetz
    DeeJay
    No answer so far from them. But i also mentioned in the Review note @ app submission, that the icon should NOT be glossy and its bugged by them. Just in case if they trying to put my app updates with glossy icon...
    · ·
  • marshusenseimarshusensei Posts: 116Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Same deal with my update. Approved today and now has glossy effect. Looks really crappy!
    :confused:
    · ·
    edited August 2011
    I heard back from apple and i'm pissed. They just referred my to the developer guide and said resubmit my app. The guide says to ensure you have the UIPrerenderIconKey set to true (Icon Already has glossy effect - yes)

or in code:

<key>UIPrerenderedIcon</key>
    <true/>

soooo...... Apple is obviously failing when it come to Large Icons.

here is a link to the Guide : https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/iTunesConnect_DeveloperGuide.pdf

-Andrew
    · ·
  • CaimanCaiman Posts: 2New Users
    edited August 2011
    I'm having the opposite problem- don't have UIPrerenderedIcon set so it should default to false and display the gloss. The app binary details in iTC show this flag as being false for an update I submitted yesterday...yet there is no gloss applied to the large icon in iTC. Maybe Apple has mistakenly swapped the correct responses for this flag.
    · ·