Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to know the device is not hacked ?

giorashcgiorashc Posts: 16Registered Users *
edited September 2011 in iOS SDK Development
Is there a way to identify in my application that the device is not hacked as it is important for me to know if the user has paid for the application or downloaded it free of charge.

Thanks
Post edited by giorashc on
· ·

Replies

• RLScottRLScott Posts: 1,655Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited September 2011
    giorashc wrote: »
    Is there a way to identify in my application that the device is not hacked as it is important for me to know if the user has paid for the application or downloaded it free of charge.

Thanks
    There are several threads on anti-piracy measures in the Tutorials section by Shmoopi. But remember, just because a device is hacked (jailbroken) that does not mean your app is not paid for. What are you going to do about people that have jailbroken there phone to get some other feature that is not available on the Apple version, but then they buy your app? Are you sure you want to make them angry by telling them that the app that they just paid for will not run for them?
    · ·
  • smithdale87smithdale87 Posts: 4,447iPhone Dev SDK Supporter @ @ @ @ @
    edited September 2011
    You may find it easier to include a 3rd party library like Cocoanetics | AntiCrack
    · ·
  • harrythesharkharrytheshark Posts: 1,896Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    If someone really wants your app for free, they'll get it for free - no protection is 100% safe.
    · ·
  • samurlesamurle Posts: 254Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    If someone really wants your app for free, they'll get it for free - no protection is 100% safe.

I think most people just check to see if the Info.plist has changed. They check for entries added or deleted.

And how that information is sent to you is something else.
    · ·
  • harrythesharkharrytheshark Posts: 1,896Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    I guess my wording was a little off. To protect an app from being cracked (show a message, crash it, log a UDID), you have to detect that it's cracked to begin with.

As I said in my last post, if someone wants to get around this detection / protection, they will.
    · ·
    edited September 2011
    giorashc wrote: »

Thanks

What I would like to know is, what do people here use to track hacked apps?
    How do they get their information? And is it a free service?
    · ·
  • phillipie99phillipie99 Posts: 202Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    samurle wrote: »
    And, people usually don't run apps while their device is connected to the Internet...

Unless your on an iPod or non 3G iPad that is probably a horribly false statement. As for what people use there are tons of tools, and almost none of them are free that I have found. Is you app in the app store? What is it called?
    <a href="http://philbystricanapps.com" target="_blank"> PhilBystricanApps.com</a>
    · ·
    edited September 2011
    Unless your on an iPod or non 3G iPad that is probably a horribly false statement.

So, I would like to know if these analytics tools store data for later on, when there
    is a connection?
    · ·
  • phillipie99phillipie99 Posts: 202Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    samurle wrote: »
    I don't think so. I didn't say are never connected. They don't have to be always connected.

But, as I was saying, if a device isn't connected to the Internet, nothing will get sent.
    So, I would like to know if these analytics tools store data for later on, when there
    is a connection?
    To start, you said "usually" which would mean 50% or more of the time the user is not connected.

Many of them do store data but it all depends on the code, if the data is never written to the disk it would be removed upon the app being terminated from the background as long as the user stays disconnected. If the data is written to the disk it is likely retained until a connection can be made.

You never answered my previous questions, do you have any apps in the app store? What are they called? Piracy is not normally a problem unless you are developing a game. None of my apps had been pirated even after 1 year in the app store, until I put out a second game.
    <a href="http://philbystricanapps.com" target="_blank"> PhilBystricanApps.com</a>
    · ·
    edited September 2011
    iPhones, probably yes.
    · ·
    edited September 2011
    None of my apps had been pirated even after 1 year in the app store, until I put out a second game.

Well, if you rely only on analytics, then you may never know. They could have disabled the analytics too. ;)
    · ·