Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Change iPhone app name

illwi11illwi11 Posts: 5New Users
edited December 2010 in iPhone SDK Development
Hello

I'm about to release my application and I decided that I want to change the name. How do I do this?

Thanks!
Will
Post edited by illwi11 on

Replies

• RickMaddyRickMaddy Posts: 2,122New Users
    edited January 2009
    In your project build settings there is a setting for Product Name. Change that and your executable will get the new name. If you just want to change the name displayed under the app's icon then just change info.plist. (Bundle Display Name).
  • BSDimwitBSDimwit Posts: 172Registered Users
    edited January 2009
    You can either a) recreate the entire project using the new name or b) change the Bundle Display Name property in your info.plist to the name you want your app to show on the iphone screen. c) Do what Rick said.
  • spuy767spuy767 Posts: 100Registered Users
    edited January 2009
    RickMaddy wrote: »
    In your project build settings there is a setting for Product Name. Change that and your executable will get the new name. If you just want to change the name displayed under the app's icon then just change info.plist. (Bundle Display Name).

I'm a seasoned Developer and I can't find the setting to change the executable name anywhere. I feel like I need to change the executable name because the name I had chosen, for which a search came up with 0 results on the app store, is already taken according to the submission system. I'm worried that if I don't change the executable name, they may reject the app. Can Maddy give us some more info on where this information might be located?
  • RickMaddyRickMaddy Posts: 2,122New Users
    edited January 2009
    In Xcode with your project in view, go to the menu Project | Edit Active Target. In the dialog that appears select the Build tab. Make sure the Configuration drop down has "All Configurations" selected and the Show drop down has "All Settings" selected. In the search field enter "Product Name". One setting should be shown at this point - the product name. Change value as needed.
  • spuy767spuy767 Posts: 100Registered Users
    edited January 2009
    In Xcode with your project in view, go to the menu Project | Edit Active Target. In the dialog that appears select the Build tab. Make sure the Configuration drop down has "All Configurations" selected and the Show drop down has "All Settings" selected. In the search field enter "Product Name". One setting should be shown at this point - the product name. Change value as needed.

Thanks a Bunch, last time I tried to find it, I searched for the name that it wanted to call itself and failed miserably to find the product name field. Of course, it still refuses to compile unless the executable name is still the original name. I had a thought occur to me earlier, could it be possible that developers are squatting good app names using the "Upload Executable Later" option on iTunesConnect? Edit again. After I compiled it once with the original name, it built an executable with the new nme, and then refused to compile with the original name in the info.plist and I had to change that to the new name and we're all gravy. Thanks again.
  • LunarMoonLunarMoon Posts: 332Registered Users @ @
    edited January 2009
    Changing the application name is not a process for the faint of heart...
    but here we go...

FIRST BACKUP YOUR PROJECT. All changes are at your own risk. Do not blame me for failing.

let's say your project is called xxx and you want to rename it to yyy.

1) open the terminal and go to your project directory
    2) type cd xxx, where xxx is your project name, to enter the directory
    3) rename the file xxx_Prefix.pch to whatever you want, keeping the _Prefix.pch suffix
    4) type cd xxx.xcodeproj to enter the bundle
    5) you will see 3 files there. Edit all 3 files replacing every occurrence xxx with yyy. Change just the precise string. If you find something like xxxAppDelegate, change it to yyyAppDelegate. I use VI or VIM for editing.
    6) after editing the files, go back one level and look inside Classes, renaming all files to the new name. Again, rename just the part of the name you want to change.

open the project in Xcode.

Open interface builder and fix whatever needs to be fixed, like classes names, etc., to the new one. Save and quit IB, returning to Xcode.

Search your code for any occurrence of the old string, replacing with the new one.

Try to compile the file and see if everything is fine.

don't forget to modify the application name on the plist.

Once you do that 100 times like me, you will find it easy. :D

Yes, I have asked apple to easy that and they aknowledged that this have been asked by other people...
    <b><a href="http://www.addfone.com/iphoneapp/psbi" target="_blank">The Photoshop CS5 Silent Book for iPhone</a></b> and <b><a href="http://www.addfone.com/iphoneapp/psb" target="_blank">iPad</a></b> <br />
    <b><a href="http://www.addfone.com/iphoneapp/tbp
  • PeddlePowerPeddlePower Posts: 16Registered Users
    edited August 2009
    Eeew... actually, see MackDaddy's post above (reprinted below for clarity)... it's MUCH easier than LunarMoon's (although both ways do work).

---
    ---
  • cameron50cameron50 Posts: 8New Users
    edited October 2009
    I am getting an error trying to upload the app to Itunes Connect because of the name having a space as in "My App". I have followed the instructions above and according to XCode-Project-set active target and set active executable I have the executable name as "My-App". However, the distribution folder still gets the old "My App" name and if I reveal the content of the folder the executable is still "My App" with the space. I have closed up everything, quit XCode, etc just in case. Still the executable name is the old one with the space.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

More info:
    In my project:
    Products folder shows "My App.app"
    Targets shows My-App
    Executable shows My-App

But the built executable still shows up as "My App".
    edited October 2009
    cameron50 wrote: »
    I am getting an error trying to upload the app to Itunes Connect because of the name having a space as in "My App". I have followed the instructions above and according to XCode-Project-set active target and set active executable I have the executable name as "My-App". However, the distribution folder still gets the old "My App" name and if I reveal the content of the folder the executable is still "My App" with the space. I have closed up everything, quit XCode, etc just in case. Still the executable name is the old one with the space.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

More info:
    In my project:
    Products folder shows "My App.app"
    Targets shows My-App
    Executable shows My-App

But the built executable still shows up as "My App".

Hey Cameron,

Well, the easiest attempt at a fix is to simply delete the contents of your Build directory (or I guess a Build | Clean All Targets would do too). Seems we need to do this A LOT.

Secondly, you could try this...
    - Close XCode and backup your project's .xcodeproj document.
    - Right click on the project document and pick "Show Package Contents".
    - Inside are 3 files... Edit each file, search/replacing bad "My App" name.
    - Try compiling things again in XCode.

Thirdly (and I'm sure least tempting)... you could recreate the project document from scratch, and drag your code/resources/images back in. (Not as bad as it sounds)

Hope it helps!
    ~Paul
  • DenVogDenVog Posts: 625Registered Users
    edited October 2009
    cameron50 wrote: »
    I am getting an error trying to upload the app to Itunes Connect because of the name having a space as in "My App".

My apps have a space in the name. When I do a build for the App store, the application name in the build folder is "About Device". After I compress it for upload, I just rename the file and replace the space with an underscore. So the file I actually upload is "About_Device.zip".

Hope this helps.
  • arcarocketarcarocket Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited April 2010
    This one baffles me. I got the name changed in the Product Name of the target under all config. I checked the info.plist and I got there same name there for the bundle name.

So, why does it still not use this name under the icon? What else can it be? I've checked and tried everything I can think of. Makes no sense. I cleaned, deleted original build folder, etc.
  • DenVogDenVog Posts: 625Registered Users
    edited April 2010
    If you're using the current SDK, just go to Project > Rename.
  • mpramodjainmpramodjain Posts: 362Registered Users
    edited April 2010
    Can we have different names for the application. I mean a large name to display on the appstore, while submitting the app and the small name to be displayed on the iPhone Home screen (beneath the application icon).

Is it possible does it raise any issues with Appstore?
  • jack_the_ratjack_the_rat Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited April 2010
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it would pe possible to change the application name shown under the app icon on the home screen via code when a push notification arrives. thanks for an PM :)
    edited April 2010
    Can we have different names for the application. I mean a large name to display on the appstore, while submitting the app and the small name to be displayed on the iPhone Home screen (beneath the application icon).

Is it possible does it raise any issues with Appstore?

@mpramodjain:

Ah, you're talking about the "Product Name" (under the icon). Yes you have a lot of freedom there, it's not related to the App Store name. But it does truncate after 11 or so characters, of course.

>> Double-click on your App (under Targets).
    >> Select the "Build" tab, and in the search box type "Product Name".
  • CynthiaBlue44CynthiaBlue44 Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited December 2010

Rick this worked for me, although I was unsure whether or not to remove the parenthesis etc. In the Bundle display name I replaced ${PRODUCT_NAME} with ARTUCCINO, and it worked. Thanks for your help.