Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porting iOS to windows mobile

nitin867nitin867 Posts: 83Registered Users @
edited February 2012 in iPhone SDK Development
Hello,

I am having an iOS based app and want to make it for windows marketplace so that windows mobile users can play the game.
Could anyone guide me regarding this. ?
Post edited by nitin867 on

Replies

• RLScottRLScott Posts: 1,648Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited January 2012
    nitin867 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am having an iOS based app and want to make it for windows marketplace so that windows mobile users can play the game.
    If you mean the old Windows Mobile 6.5, that is an obsolete OS that no one puts on new devices anymore. The "successor" to that OS is Windows Phone 7. It is not nearly as popular as iOS or Android, so I don't know why anyone would bother with it at this stage. And although I have developed for Windows Mobile, I really don't know anything about Windows Phone 7 other than it is completely different from WM and iOS.
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 379Registered Users @ @
    edited January 2012
    I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure WinPhone7 uses the free .net express dev platform. uses C#, and probably VB.net.

Some here have ported their apps over and have done well. They have a game plan to get heavy into the market, but they've been saying that for over a year now.

It's not likely that you'll get a straight crossover, the API's, lang, OS are all different.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,022Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited January 2012
    Hello,

You need to do a complete rewrite.

Windows 7 uses C#. Windows Mobile 7 is completely different OS. The frameworks are completely different.

You would need to go back to the design stage and redesign your app for Windows Mobile 7.

I'm not sure if Microsoft supports C/C++ as well as C#. If they do, it might be possible to create an abstraction layer that hides the differences, and write C++ that's shared between platforms. Such things are a lot of work, and generally create bigger, slower apps. On a memory-starved, slow device like a phone, the overhead of abstraction could make it unusable.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • nitin867nitin867 Posts: 83Registered Users @
    edited January 2012
    RLScott wrote: »
    If you mean the old Windows Mobile 6.5, that is an obsolete OS that no one puts on new devices anymore. The "successor" to that OS is Windows Phone 7. It is not nearly as popular as iOS or Android, so I don't know why anyone would bother with it at this stage. And although I have developed for Windows Mobile, I really don't know anything about Windows Phone 7 other than it is completely different from WM and iOS.

Thanks for your kind information. You are right but the thing is that someday windows mobile is going to cross each mobile platform. I recently found in a survey that people who are using windows phone are much satisfied with anyone. So we are heading into the field and after all its windows. :)
    edited January 2012
    KarlJay wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure WinPhone7 uses the free .net express dev platform. uses C#, and probably VB.net.

Some here have ported their apps over and have done well. They have a game plan to get heavy into the market, but they've been saying that for over a year now.

It's not likely that you'll get a straight crossover, the API's, lang, OS are all different.

Hi,
    Thanks for your post. I have been going through your post and found that "some have ported their apps over" mentioned. Do you know the exact process to convert the app to windows platform or i have to do coding from scratch for the same app. Anything revalent, you can share to me.

HAve a great day.
    edited January 2012
    Duncan C wrote: »
    You need to do a complete rewrite.

Windows 7 uses C#. Windows Mobile 7 is completely different OS. The frameworks are completely different.

You would need to go back to the design stage and redesign your app for Windows Mobile 7.

I'm not sure if Microsoft supports C/C++ as well as C#. If they do, it might be possible to create an abstraction layer that hides the differences, and write C++ that's shared between platforms. Such things are a lot of work, and generally create bigger, slower apps. On a memory-starved, slow device like a phone, the overhead of abstraction could make it unusable.

Ok so can i keep the same graphics? and about the coding part we need to build the same functionality as is in IOS app... Bro that is double work for us..

You can see the discussed app here :
    App Store - TRICKY BUBBLES

You can also like and follow us on facebook and twitter:
    Keeves Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | Facebook
    Twitter
    edited January 2012
    RLScott wrote: »

You can see the discussed app which is need to port on windows platform :
    App Store - TRICKY BUBBLES

You can also like and follow us on facebook and twitter:
    Keeves Technologies Pvt. Ltd. | Facebook
    Twitter
    edited January 2012
    Since an not aware with vb.net programming language, would it be possible to make a cross platform development for my app.
    I need a very simple and straight answer on this..:(
  • dljefferydljeffery Posts: 1,315iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited January 2012
    Since an not aware with vb.net programming language, would it be possible to make a cross platform development for my app.
    I need a very simple and straight answer on this..:(

If you want the simple answer, it's definitely "no".

If you are determined to accomplish this sort of cross platform development (but not simply), then the answer is "yes". But it will take a lot of work, and you'll be the one having to do it (and by experimenting and coding like crazy, not by asking others for help getting started).

Furthermore, if you truly believe that Windows Phone 7 will ever capture much of the market, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps Windows 8 will, on tablets... only time will tell.
    <a href="http://bit.ly/recallit-ipdsdk" target="_blank">Recall It!</a> <i>Tag your notes. Tag your photos. Tag your thoughts. Tag your life.</i><br />
    <a href="http://bit.ly/ipadrecallit-ipdsdk" target="_blank">Recall It! for iPad</a><br />
    edited February 2012
    dljeffery wrote: »
    If you want the simple answer, it's definitely "no".

If you are determined to accomplish this sort of cross platform development (but not simply), then the answer is "yes". But it will take a lot of work, and you'll be the one having to do it (and by experimenting and coding like crazy, not by asking others for help getting started).

Furthermore, if you truly believe that Windows Phone 7 will ever capture much of the market, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps Windows 8 will, on tablets... only time will tell.

Thanks jeffery for you precious information. Itotally got your idea. We have strated developing the iphone application for the windows marketplace. You were right, its not a easy peasy job.

And regarding thr windows marketplace capture, i would like to answer your reply. Iphone is good platform both for developers and users. But windows is aemerging market. And since a good leader is always responsible for running his firm, Apple lacks here(due to absense of Steve Job). And as always microsoft has ruled by stealing the idea from Apple, someday it will surpass Iphone. That is what i think...
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,022Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited February 2012
    Thanks jeffery for you precious information. Itotally got your idea. We have strated developing the iphone application for the windows marketplace. You were right, its not a easy peasy job.

And regarding thr windows marketplace capture, i would like to answer your reply. Iphone is good platform both for developers and users. But windows is aemerging market. And since a good leader is always responsible for running his firm, Apple lacks here(due to absense of Steve Job). And as always microsoft has ruled by stealing the idea from Apple, someday it will surpass Iphone. That is what i think...

Microsoft usually gets a new venture right on about the third try. With windows for mobile devices, however, they have been trying for 20+ years, and sill haven't really gone anywhere. I think they are on major overhaul number 6, at least. Remember Windows CE?
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor