Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

image manipulation

RiftsRifts Posts: 196Registered Users @ @
edited March 2012 in iOS SDK Development
Hello,

I'm trying to learn about image manipulation for an iphone app. Can someone please point me in the right direction I'm not really sure what to even search for.

thanks
Post edited by Rifts on

Replies

• MoreAppsMoreApps Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Rifts wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm trying to learn about image manipulation for an iphone app. Can someone please point me in the right direction I'm not really sure what to even search for.

thanks

Image manipulation is pretty vague. What do you mean specifically?
    <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-bet-pro/id404680015?mt=8"; target="_blank">Ultimate Bet Pro -Smarter Bets</a>
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,112Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 2012
    Hello,

thanks

What kind of image manipulation?

If you want to do geometric transformations, image views, as a subclass of UIView, have a transform property. That will let you scale, rotate, shift, and even skew your images.

If you want to do byte-wise manipulation of the image data, it's a little more complex. You have to ask for your image as a CGImage, get a pointer to the pixel data, and then manipulate that data. That is slow, because your image is rendered in graphics memory, and editing the bytes of the image takes place on the CPU in main memory.

Starting in iOS 5 there is a new framework called Core Image that will let you apply various filters to do a variety of different kinds of image hardware-accellerated image manipulation.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 196Registered Users @ @
    edited March 2012
    oh sorry, I meant image manipulation like changing pixels such as how the app fat booth works.
    edited March 2012
    oh sorry, I meant image manipulation like changing pixels such as how the app fat booth works.

Oh, THAT kind of image manipulation.

That's yet another kind.

I don't know how fat booth does it. Based on how slow it is, I'm guessing that they are doing the image transformation "brute force" and pixel by pixel.

As it happens, our company is working on exactly this kind of application.

What we do is to take the input image and turn it into an OpenGL texture, and then do a mesh warp of the texture. We lay out the destination image as a grid, like graph paper. If the image is unchanged, every little square of the source image gets drawn into a little square in the target image.

If the user asks to transform the image, we move the grid points around, and draw the source image so it stretches some parts of the image and squeezes other parts.

Here is a sample image that shows what I am talking about, with the mesh grid shown:

fatface.jpg
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif

• RiftsRifts Posts: 196Registered Users @ @
    Awesome thank you!
    Rifts said:

Awesome thank you!

Since I posted that image, we released our app, Face Dancer. The app is free, so you can try it out.

It has a fat face morph, but that is part of an in-app purchase. My signature has a link to the app in the app store, and the animated GIF in my sig was created with the program.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif

• SusheelSusheel HyderabadPosts: 1New Users Noob

Hello Geeks,

Can any One provide me sample code.How to make an image FAT. As i could not found any resource.I have been trying from past two weeks .

1.What are the necessary steps i need to take, in order to perform app like fat booth and faceeGoo lite app.
    2.As i am new to openGL.(My doubt is, to perform image morphing which frameworks i need to include in Xcode project OpenGL is one framework.)
    3.If you have any source code lying around please do send me ...
    Thank you ...
    Susheel wrote: »
    Hello Geeks,

Can any One provide me sample code.How to make an image FAT. As i could not found any resource.I have been trying from past two weeks .

1.What are the necessary steps i need to take, in order to perform app like fat booth and faceeGoo lite app.
    2.As i am new to openGL.(My doubt is, to perform image morphing which frameworks i need to include in Xcode project OpenGL is one framework.)
    3.If you have any source code lying around please do send me ...
    Thank you ...

I wrote a post on Stack Overflow that explains this in detail:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20863904/warp-bend-effect-on-a-uiview/20864102#20864102

(No, I'm not providing source code.)
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the question thread in which you posted it. You need to create a new question thread.
    I'm having a comparative issue. Utilizing iOS8. Attempting to make a basic static TableViewController w/2 UITextFields and a UIButton. The thought is to have the client enter two bits of content information and hit the catch to accomplish something.

I took after the guidelines for inserting into the ContainerView and it manufactures. In any case, at run time I just see my table and cells. I don't see the content fields or catch. Totally clear.

You can choose the lines, however every one of the perspectives I added to the cells are no more. Looks awesome in the storyboard view, however nothing at runtime.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif