Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Creating textures..

kmadhukishorekmadhukishore Posts: 22Registered Users
Hi all,

I am developing a game using OpenGL ES in that I am using textures,for now I asked graphics designers to create textures,but it became too complex because if we want to modify or resize a single image then we need to recreate entire texture which consumes more time.

My question is,is there a simple way/tool for creating a texture from a set of images which give a texture and image coordinate details(like where a particular image starts and what is its size).

Thanks in advance....
Post edited by kmadhukishore on

Replies

• jeonghyunhanjeonghyunhan Posts: 190Registered Users
    edited September 2009
    Not entirely sure what you are asking but, are you using a texture atlas?
    Blockle:<a href="" target="_blank">
  • kmadhukishorekmadhukishore Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited September 2009
    Hi jeonghyunhan,
    Thanks for quick reply.

I am not using texture atlas and my question is not related to coding it is related to tools..
    How do you create a tilesheet/texture to use them in game,manually by graphics designers or do you use any tool??Because if we planned to resize a single image with in texture then graphics designers have to recreate entire texture completely which consumes lot of time??Is there a simple way to this??

Thanks,
    Madhu.
    edited September 2009
    Here's what I do:
    Graphic designer designs graphics for me and sends them to me.
    I use Photoshop CS4 and put them together into one BIG image, and use it as a texture atlas.

I'm still not understanding.
    If you plan on resizing, it'll consume a lot of time anyway since the designer has to "resize" it appropriately. That's their job? o.o
    But you should let them know what size you want the graphic to be in beforehand.
    edited September 2009
    Let us assume I have images like below:
    1)24X24
    2)48X48
    3)40X32
    EXAMPLE.jpg

What graphics designer will do for me is they will create a texture as shown in the figure "Example.png" and they will give me x,y,width,height values of each image with in texture.With those values I will be able to create a image from the texture.

Now the problem is if the change let us say 24X24 to 30X30 then they have to recreate entire texture and have to give me new x,y,width,height values.

In the example since it has got only 3 images it is easy to recreate texture and giving values but I have textures where there are like 30 images in each texture in that if we want to resize a image to some other then we have to recreate texture completely and have to note down all new values which takes lot of time.

My question is is there a tool which takes a set of images and creates a texture/tilesheet and gives the image x,y,width,height values as well..

Madhu.
    EXAMPLE.jpg
    1 x 1 - 4K
    edited September 2009
    Can't see the jpg...
    For a tool to create a tilesheet out of images you have, you'll need photoshop or something similar.
    To get the coords/sizes of each texture in the atlas, you'll need to write your own method to return the values to you.
  • mobilebenmobileben Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited September 2009
    Let us assume I have images like below:
    1)24X24
    2)48X48
    3)40X32
    EXAMPLE.jpg

What graphics designer will do for me is they will create a texture as shown in the figure "Example.png" and they will give me x,y,width,height values of each image with in texture.With those values I will be able to create a image from the texture.

Now the problem is if the change let us say 24X24 to 30X30 then they have to recreate entire texture and have to give me new x,y,width,height values.

In the example since it has got only 3 images it is easy to recreate texture and giving values but I have textures where there are like 30 images in each texture in that if we want to resize a image to some other then we have to recreate texture completely and have to note down all new values which takes lot of time.

My question is is there a tool which takes a set of images and creates a texture/tilesheet and gives the image x,y,width,height values as well..

Madhu.

Your best bet is to write a tool that will take your images (which in this case will be sub-textures) and create an atlas out of them while also generating your data.

Another possible method, depending on how savvy you are with Javascript and Photoshop would be to create a Javascript file that extracts the width/height and position out of a layered PS file.

There are several ways to tackle this problem.

I'd personally go for the method of building a tool for this. There are several places online to get code for this. A real easy way is to use kd-trees for atlas generation.
    <div align="center"><a href="http://www.quititthegame.com" target="_blank"><u><u><b>QuitIt! Website</b></u></u></a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Lumpy-Hrudkovity/100000097646093" target="_blank"><u><b>Lumpy on Facebook</b></u></a> | <u><b><a
    edited September 2009
    Hi mobileben,
    "

Your best bet is to write a tool that will take your images (which in this case will be sub-textures) and create an atlas out of them while also generating your data.

Another possible method, depending on how savvy you are with Javascript and Photoshop would be to create a Javascript file that extracts the width/height and position out of a layered PS file.

There are several ways to tackle this problem.

I'd personally go for the method of building a tool for this. There are several places online to get code for this. A real easy way is to use kd-trees for atlas generation.

Till now I didnt write even a single tool I dont have any experience in writing tools,so I thought of downloading any free tools.

I tried using "Atlas creation tool" it is throwing error for me(I tried in Windows Vista).

Can you please tell me where can I get "kd-trees" tool.

Thanks,
    Madhu.
  • KalimbaKalimba ¿La Islas Hermosas?Posts: 2,181iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users
    edited September 2009
    If you are using Photoshop, you can try the script provided by the author of this blog: richardjdare.com Blog Archive Texture Atlas Maker. I'm not sure which other versions of Photoshop are supported, but I've tried it in CS4 and it runs fine.

Just be advised that I've found bugs that occur when you set the "margin" to a non-zero value, so you may have to edit the script if you want to use that feature.
    <a href="http://bit.ly/gAmufK" target="_blank">icon-r-64.png</a> ~~ Word Flurry ~~ <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-flurry/id399660201?mt=8" target="_blank">App Store</a> / <a href="http://bit.ly/bJiK99
  • sivasankarpsivasankarp Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited January 2010
    Hi

How to create the Text overlay on the browsed image

can any one guide me in this appl

Thanks in advance
  • kshepkshep Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited January 2010
    Hi

How to create the Text overlay on the browsed image

can any one guide me in this appl

Thanks in advance

This is my favorite tool used to create texture atlases:

Zwoptex
    <a href="http://www.imangistudios.com" target="_blank">Imangi Studios, LLC</a> creator of <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313014213&mt=8" target="_blank">Harbor Master</a>, <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/We