Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swift Beginner Tutorial

simpleiPhonesdksimpleiPhonesdk Posts: 71Registered Users @
Hi guys,

I recently wrote a tutorial for those who are starting out on Swift. I'm planning on continuing the series and would love all of your feedback to make it better.

http://swiftadventures.quora.com/iOS-Swift-Beginner-Tutorial-Sign-up-For-Swift

Thanks

Replies

• StickStick ColoradoPosts: 79Moderators, Administrators, iPhone Dev SDK Supporter, Registered Users Admin
    edited July 2014
    Looks good. Can you do me a favor and post the actual tutorial, rather than just a link to the webpage?
  • edlenedlen ukPosts: 1New Users Noob
    Looks good really liked it! Are you thinking about doing any more?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,525New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Do you have a Slow Tutorial for beginners like me? ;)
  • certainancertainan sgPosts: 5New Users Noob
    Hi, I wrote some ios8 app dev tutorials using swift for beginners. You might want to check them out at the below
    http://www.programminghq.com/search/label/Swift?m=0
  • SundialSoftSundialSoft Posts: 307Registered Users @ @
    edited January 2015
    I'm an experienced iOS dev with 5 apps on the app store just starting today with Swift.
    I cannot set up variables without adding a ? or ! to the end of them
    e.g.: @IBOutlet var nameTextField : UITextField?
    This relates to 'Optionals'. An optional in Swift is a variable that can hold either a value or no value. Optionals are written by appending a ? to the type
    So the suggested variables for the demo will not work without the ? ( or using ! Implicitly unwrapped optional types include all of the safety features of optional types. In addition, you can access the value directly without checking for nil or unwrapping it yourself. See Apple's Swift docs for more on that )
    Post edited by SundialSoft on
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,112Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    Hi guys,

I recently wrote a tutorial for those who are starting out on Swift. I'm planning on continuing the series and would love all of your feedback to make it better.

http://swiftadventures.quora.com/iOS-Swift-Beginner-Tutorial-Sign-up-For-Swift

Thanks

One comment right off the bat: Why create outlets manually in your code?

IB has a very cool feature where you open both the IB file in the primary editor, open the view controller's file in the "assistant editor", and then control-drag from the button/label/text field you want to connect into your source file and it offers to create outlets and/or actions for you. If you control-drag into a specific spot in your source, it puts the outlet right there. For Objective-C, if you control-drag an action into the header file, it creates the prototype for the action method in the header, and an empty method in the .m file, with the method signature all correct. It's awesome, and much, much easier than doing it manually?
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor