Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 50 Tutorials With Sound Now Available

jamesbrannanjamesbrannan Posts: 182
edited May 2012 in iPhone SDK Tutorials
My new book: "Objective-C for iPhone Developers: A Beginner's Guide" has over 50 Try This Tutorials. I recorded videos for each one and provide the source code. Unlike the last tutorials, the videos have sound, so they are much better. Remember, my thinking was videos with no sound would increase book sales :rolleyes:

Objective-C Tutorials

If you like the tutorials, visit a few of my ads so I can get a few cents...

Within a couple weeks, Apple should have approved my iPad version, where you can buy the app for 1.99 and have all the videos on your iPad, albeit, a 1.19 gig download.

James A. Brannan
James A. Brannan's Site on all Things Programming, iPhone,
Post edited by jamesbrannan on

Replies

• Robert PaulsonRobert Paulson Posts: 492
    edited June 2010
    WOW! :shock:

Thanks a lot for sharing, mate. That's really, really cool. :) I'll be a great reference. Hope I'll find time to check it out in more detail soon. And I'll make sure to click every ad I see. :D

Cheers,
    Bob
    <i>We are God’s middle children, according to Tyler Durden, with no special place in history and no special attention.</i><br />
    <br />
    Consider saying <i>thanks</i> by buying <a href="http://www.qego.com/thecolor.html"; target="_blank">my app</a>. :]
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 48
    edited June 2010
    If you like the tutorials, visit a few of my ads so I can get a few cents...

How about I just buy your book I was holding in my hand at BooksAMillion the other night? :D
    Wouldn't you make more than a couple of clicks of banner? :p
    Anyhow, THANK YOU for your tutorials, They are well done Sir :)
  • MozyMacMozyMac Posts: 609
    edited June 2010
    <div align="center"><a href="http://mozymac.com/forums"; target="_blank">Free Mac Video Tutorials and Online Help</a></div><div align="center"><a href="http://bit.ly/qSqPrz"; target="_blank">Steve Job's Most Famous Quotes</a> | Steve Jobs 1955-2011, RIP<br
  • jamesbrannanjamesbrannan Posts: 182
    edited June 2010
    MozyMac wrote: »

I also created an app out of the videos.

OBJ-C Tutorials for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The download is a gig, but there are around 50 video tutorials!

You can still access the videos for free on Vimeo, but this app gathers them all into one place.

Only 999,700 from being the next App Store instant millionaire. :D

James A. Brannan
    edited July 2010
    I also created an app out of the videos.

OBJ-C Tutorials for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The download is a gig, but there are around 50 video tutorials!

You can still access the videos for free on Vimeo, but this app gathers them all into one place.

Only 999,700 from being the next App Store instant millionaire. :D

James A. Brannan

Hey, if anyone actually likes the tutorials on the iPad app, throw me a bone and give it a good review...I'm getting murdered on the store. Next time I'll spend more time editing the videos and filtering out coughs and background sound...and I suppose no jokes, as its apparent some folks can't take a "cheapskate joke".

The reviews are so bad...it is actually kind of comical. It's helping prepare me for more releases in the future, though. Remember, even a jack-asses' review has a grain of truth in it to learn from.

I figured at 1.99 for 50 tutorials that I *know* run - and include source code - folks wouldn't care, as it's still a good value....heh, little did I know.

Now that I've gotten your interest, here's the app store link.

[url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obj-c-tutorials
    /id376112816?mt=8]OBJ-C Tutorials for iPad on the iTunes App Store[/url]

Oh wait, maybe these were all reviews from competitors out to get me...inside joke...search the forums. :rolleyes:
  • seogawdseogawd Posts: 6
    edited July 2010
    Hey, if anyone actually likes the tutorials on the iPad app, throw me a bone and give it a good review...I'm getting murdered on the store. Next time I'll spend more time editing the videos and filtering out coughs and background sound...and I suppose no jokes, as its apparent some folks can't take a "cheapskate joke".

The reviews are so bad...it is actually kind of comical. It's helping prepare me for more releases in the future, though. Remember, even a jack-asses' review has a grain of truth in it to learn from.

I figured at 1.99 for 50 tutorials that I *know* run - and include source code - folks wouldn't care, as it's still a good value....heh, little did I know.

Now that I've gotten your interest, here's the app store link.

[url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obj-c-tutorials
    /id376112816?mt=8]OBJ-C Tutorials for iPad on the iTunes App Store[/url]

Oh wait, maybe these were all reviews from competitors out to get me...inside joke...search the forums. :rolleyes:

Glad I found this forum, I am a newbie iphone app dev and need help. I will read up on your tutorials, seems like you have a lot of iphone app dev experience.

May I ask; Can you make decent money on iphone apps?
    edited July 2010
    seogawd wrote: »
    Glad I found this forum, I am a newbie iphone app dev and need help. I will read up on your tutorials, seems like you have a lot of iphone app dev experience.

May I ask; Can you make decent money on iphone apps?

That is a loaded question...

Yes you can, but most - myself included - don't. Some people have made their living from iTunes apps, but most can't quit their day job. But its fun trying.

Just my 2 cents.
    edited July 2010
    That is a loaded question...

Yes you can, but most - myself included - don't. Some people have made their living from iTunes apps, but most can't quit their day job. But its fun trying.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, you hear about the guys that dev'd that stupid air horn app, and got 150k downloads in the first month so you think that they are doing ok.. you know, it seems like stupid sells.

How much do you make from every download on something like that?
    edited July 2010
    The AdWhirl report, embedded below, says that applications that crack the top 100 in the Free Apps list make $400-$5000 a day – a wide range to be sure, but even at the low end that works out to around $12,000 a month. Among these top apps, AdWhirl is reporting an impressive $1.90 eCPM and 2.6% CTR. And while applications that do reach the peak position in the App Store eventually lose steam, revenue tends to remain consistent over time after the initial dip (see the graph below). Of course, making it to the top of the Free Apps list is easier said than done, and most developers make far less than $400 a day. But the same is true of the vast majority of paid applications too – in fact, there’s actually less competition on the Free side of the store.

picture-62.png

As for AdWhirl, it seems like the startup is off to a great start. The company allows developers to tap into multiple iPhone ad networks at once, allowing them to compensate when one network doesn’t have enough ad inventory (something that AdWhirl says happens as much as 40% of the time). Finally, it’s important to note that it’s obviously in AdWhirl’s interest to promote iPhone advertising, since that’s their business. But it’s clear that there are definitely quite a few free applications making good money,.

I dunno about everyone else here, but $400 a day is like a license to print money nowadays. I'd be happy making half of that and gladly give up my day job.
  • primedimeprimedime Posts: 11
    edited July 2010
    Is there more money in creating apps for those who can not do it themselves or more money in trying to profit off your own app? What is the going rate for doing an app for someone?
  • swarcherswarcher Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Which version of the SDK and XCode do you use in your tutorials? I'm trying to learn using some books, but since the release of the 4.0 SDK, most of them are out-of-date. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get to about page 20 of a $35 book and realize what they are asking you to do doesn't work in the new version!
  • prem karnanprem karnan Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Hey thanks for the 50 tuts
    keep it up
  • elmarto755elmarto755 Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    just ordered your book from amazon :) looks great
  • NosleepNosleep Posts: 7
    edited May 2011
    This is great, thank you.
  • my02820my02820 Posts: 41
    edited May 2011
    Thank .It is very useful :)
  • SmoningiSmoningi Posts: 7
    edited June 2011
    This is very useful, thanks for the tutorials.
  • max.max. Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Just bought your app, I'm new to iPhone application development and this looks incredibly useful. Thanks for sharing the information, wish me luck!
  • links123links123 Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    ObjectiveC is similar to C/C++ and is used for programming iphone app dev, iphone quality is more than android as its apple product and therefore cost is also more. SEOWDC
  • links123links123 Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    Apple is launching recyc smartphone

webexpertsonline
    :)
  • inkcppinkcpp Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    wow, thank for you share!
  • THESE ARE SO OUTDATED - DO NOT USE