Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is MacBook Air good enough to develop apps?

clairenovaclairenova Posts: 3New Users
edited July 2012 in Mac OS X Development
I want to concentrate to develop apps for my 4 year old son to use, I plan to start learning objective and make some very basic apps so I can guide my son to learn.

I have a MacBook Air, 64GB hard drive, 1.6M memory, lion system. Is that good enough?

I think lion is good enough to download the xcode 4 (I used my friend's 10.6.8 and not able to download it), just want to make sure.

I just lost my job so I am hoping that I don't have to spend any extra money.

Thanks at advance for any information.:)
Post edited by clairenova on

Replies

• the_stigthe_stig Posts: 41Registered Users @
    edited July 2012
    It will work, you'll probably find that the screen is a little small to have the different panels open together or work using the assistant editor.

Go on the Mac App Store and download Xcode, you'll soon realise whether your MBA is suitable or not.
  • clairenovaclairenova Posts: 3New Users
    edited July 2012
    the_stig wrote: »
    It will work, you'll probably find that the screen is a little small to have the different panels open together or work using the assistant editor.

Go on the Mac App Store and download Xcode, you'll soon realise whether your MBA is suitable or not.

Thanks for the replying.

I have never opened that Mac box yet, I think 11 in similar to an ipad, it might be small for the screen.

the specs

1366 by 768 (native), 1344 by 756, and 1280 by 720 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio
    1152 by 720 and 1024 by 640 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio
    1024 by 768 and 800 by 600 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio

I am trying to figure out to hook up with a 21 inch monitor and an external hard drive (a keyboard too if it's possible), so it should be no difference as a bigger one as long as it's basic system configure meet the requirement of objective-c and xcode's requirement.

It sounds good news. Thanks a lot! :)
  • dcooldcool Posts: 294Registered Users @ @
    edited July 2012
    It's more than enough ;-) I used to develop app with my old macbook '07 model and worked well ;-)
  • MadAppr KevinMadAppr Kevin Posts: 19New Users
    edited July 2012
    The Macbook Air is enough for anything other than video editing, gaming and serious multimedia creation.
    <div style="font-size:15px !important; color:#111 !important; font-weight:bold;"> Don't Panic: <a href="http://madappr.com/the-madapprs-guide-to-creating-an-awesome-iphone-app/">The MadAppr’s Guide To Creating an Awesome iPhone App</a></div>
  • kapps11kapps11 Posts: 732Registered Users @ @ @
    I'm developing on a 13 inch air right now and the system is more than capable for any of the development I've thrown at it. The screen could be the only issue if you're used to bigger screens, but full-screen apps really helps a lot imo
  • dapisdapis Posts: 311Registered Users @ @
    I have used an Air for about a year and a half, but just got one of the fully-loaded retina MacBook Pro's.
    Aside from the small screen (13-inch), I had no complaints at all with using the AirBook - add an external monitor and it's a great set up.

I used a MacBook Pro 15-inch before that and now that I am back to that platform, I must admit I like it best.
  • clairenovaclairenova Posts: 3New Users
    What's the comparison of a macbook air with
    Apple Mac mini MC238LL/A Desktop?

Which is better to use for developing apps? I definitely will have to hook either to a bigger monitor.

Thanks
  • PavelSeaPavelSea Posts: 13New Users
    I use a 2011 MacBook Air 13" as my primary (actually, the only) development machine, and I'm very happy with it. I don't know if the older model you describe would be as good. I think that the SSD makes a huge difference for development (I/O is often a bottleneck when building code on a system with a regular hard drive).
    <a href="http://bit.ly/IcRV4q">Map-A-Pic Location Scout</a> -- the essential app for photographers and filmmakers.
  • phr0zephr0ze Posts: 8New Users
    What's the comparison of a macbook air with
    Apple Mac mini MC238LL/A Desktop?

Which is better to use for developing apps? I definitely will have to hook either to a bigger monitor.

Thanks
    One is portable and one is not. Both can be used. Development doesn't require a powerful machine. Its more about comfort. Bigger screen, better keyboard/mouse, better chair, etc all help.
  • nebulaboxnebulabox Posts: 3New Users Noob
    Enough for developing Apps.
  • dickthedevdickthedev Posts: 214Registered Users @ @
    edited October 2012
    Most definitely. However I do find Xcode hard to use on my 13" MBA. Especially when it comes to debugging in iPad simulator and the new iPhone 5 simulator.
  • RoohafzaRoohafza Posts: 42New Users
    Try investing in an external monitor, from my experiences, it's a pain using just the MBA when having IB and your implementation files open at the same time (i.e Assistant Editor), trust me, as you get into way bigger projects, it will hurt you.
  • dickthedevdickthedev Posts: 214Registered Users @ @
    Seriously considering getting a large 22"+ external monitor!! I use the MBA when I am on the road. The MBA is powerful enough, but the 13" monitor just won't do once you start to use Xcode, especially when you need to use the Interface builder to create UI.
  • voidzonevoidzone europePosts: 54Registered Users @
    Yup, 1440x900 is not enough for Xcode. I prefer an external screen with a good resolution for Xcode work. (27" with 2560x1440).

On topic: MBA can absolutely deal with most development tasks. I only switched to a MBP because compiling a huge C++ code base would take too long. But if you're using Swift/Obj-C mostly that's not an issue.
    rep_icns.png Miss Appviz 2? Try Suborbital Reports. App Store report aggregation and analytics for your Mac.
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @
    I do use an Air for programming my apps and it's totally fine. And yes, external monitor or at least 13'' is a must