Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum iOS version in App Store

tropictropic Posts: 120New Users @ @
Is there a minimum iOS version that is supported in the App Store?

Right now I build my apps for iOS 7.0 and upwards, but was thinking if there were any immediate benefits of using 8.x or even 9.x except for better and newer functionalities in the SDK? Right now I have used iOS 7.0 to support as many potential customers as possible.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Each Xcode version will show you the minimum deployment available.

Since iOS 7 is now ancient, I only support 8.0 and up. I doubt supporting iOS 7 will get you significantly more customers. Most have updated to at least 8.0 by now.

• tropictropic Posts: 120New Users @ @
    Ok, good to hear. How is it now, will a iOS7 version still be available on the App Store for older devices if I decide to "upgrade" future versions to iOS8+?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    edited November 2015
    tropic wrote: »
    Ok, good to hear. How is it now, will a iOS7 version still be available on the App Store for older devices if I decide to "upgrade" future versions to iOS8+?

Your question appears to be a basic one, and you seem to be an experienced developer, based on your previous posts. So, my answer may not answer your real question as I may be misinterpreting what you are asking.

Xcode 6.4 for iOS 8 lets you set your minimum deployment target as low as iOS 4.3... so it will run any device using 4.3 and up. Most have already updated to much higher. For your situation, you would want to set the deployment target to 7.0

Xcode 7.0 for iOS 9 lets you set your minimum deployment target as low as iOS 6.0. So again, in your case you would want to set it to 7.0 assuming you still want to support that.
  • RosielukasRosielukas AhmedabadPosts: 1New Users Noob
    I think Minimum target iOS version which apple should support be 4.3.
  • RodoxydRodoxyd FrancePosts: 12New Users *
    @tropic No, the iOS7 version will not be available anymore on the App Store if you upgrade the minimum version to iOS8+ (my app was iOS6 minimum to be compatible with iPhone 3gs. Then, upgrade to min iOS7.1 to get some new functionality, but loosing compatibility with 3gs : only the last update is available on the App Store).
    Eventually, you can create a new app "for iOS7" specifically for people on iOS7, but it seems a lot of work for not much, because as @dev666999 said, "I doubt supporting iOS 7 will get you significantly more customers."
    Not entirely true, it depends if you specifically select through iTunes Connect that older versions should not be available anymore.

From Apple
    Some of your customers may not have a device that's compatible with your latest app version. To allow them to continue using your app, we make the last-compatible version of your app available to them.

Preventing App Versions from Appearing in iCloud
    https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ReplacingYourAppWithANewVersion.html

Install an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201377

Regarding the need for supporting iOS 7 now, compared to when I asked the question last year, is, at least for my own userbase, not that relevant since only around 4.5% use iOS 7.0/iOS 7.1 (see stats below). But then again, right now I do not need anything in specific from iOS 8/9, that I cannot solve with iOS 7, so I always start out with iOS7.0 for deployment.

ynwc3aui86ee.png

• RodoxydRodoxyd FrancePosts: 12New Users *
    Sorry, didn't look the original post date, I should be more attentive :-/
    (especially when my answer is wrong...)
    Anyway, I did learn something, thanks ;-)
    No worries :)

It is actually something one should be aware of, if you make a significant change in a release, if you should still make older versions available. If they still work, then ok, but if you for instance have communication with some web backend, and the data structure change, then you may have an app live for older devices that e.g. may crash.