Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ads when free and not when paid download .

I learnt that if you make ur app from paid to free and switch back to paid, you will get the notice of lot of users as there are lots of sites tracking apps gone free, seems like one way of free marketing that works in AppStore and Android Market.

The thing is i wanted to monetize the game primarily through Ads, but at the same time i don't to display them when people buy it when i am changing to paid.

How can i achieve it , is there any way to tell if app is bought instead of a free download for me to disable the Ads ?

Will Apple or Google rejects or they have any reservation if i design something like that , is anyone done this kind of thing before ?

Replies

• ShelShockShelShock Posts: 128Registered Users @ @
    Personally I am not a fan of "price dropping" campaigns where you go from $0.99 to free for a period of time - you get users who are not serious about investing time and money into your app. Going free is great if you want to create a billboard and get the joy of thousands of people hitting your app, but the feeling a few weeks later after investing all that time in development and having $0 to show for it sure stinks.

I would recommend the "old school" approach of a paid and lite version of your app and then driving users inside the lite version to upgrade and download the paid version. If you are going from the lite to the paid version of the app, you can likely grab some kind of device identifier (hashed mac address, IP address, etc.) and then reward the user in your paid version for upgrading. There are lots of cool things you can do with that model that you can't do with one inflexible binary.

I think some folks get so caught up in boosting the chart ranking that sometimes bad short term decisions (like having one binary, IMO) are made. (This is a general comment, not aimed at OP)
    Services and Apps I Recommend

Reviews and Ratings are critical to the success of your app. They significantly contribute to your ASO and organic growth.

Gnome Escape is the best way to generate reviews, ratings, iTunes buzz and feedback for your app.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    --------How can i achieve it --------------

by time, when your app is downloaded and opened, it checks a server, if a switch is turned on, you turn your app lose... if switch is turned off, you play the adds. store the switch in user defaults permanently, (or until the app is removed from device) or in a key password area.

better yet, your app checks the web version of the Apple iTunes store, it parses HTML for the web page for your app, finds the "free" or the price.. and does the same thing...
  • tringiotringio Posts: 26New Users @
    jhonkj said:

--------How can i achieve it --------------

by time, when your app is downloaded and opened, it checks a server, if a switch is turned on, you turn your app lose... if switch is turned off, you play the adds. store the switch in user defaults permanently, (or until the app is removed from device) or in a key password area.

better yet, your app checks the web version of the Apple iTunes store, it parses HTML for the web page for your app, finds the "free" or the price.. and does the same thing...

How do i find the timezone of the device because i need to know to correlate when the apps went to paid or free ?

• jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    edited December 2012
    Your app doesn't change price in a staggered way for each time zone, if you change price by hand, it becomes free at the same "time" more or less.. for lack of a better word, for all time zones,

if you are scheduling price changes in advance, then your app checks the iTunes store with a generic URL, you don't have to specify the country in the URL, so your app will be checking what ever that link turns up... you'd have to do some experimenting, but i believe the URL will open the itunes store that it last opened (from that device), (well if the person last logged into the itunes store in the correct country that is)