Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook Mobile App Install ads

ComboAppComboApp Chicago, ILPosts: 333New Users @ @
I believe many of you did notice this week the announcement in your Facebook profile that invites you to try Facebook Mobile Ad Install ads solution. For several months it was available but for the most part it was obscured, now it’s front and featured. Among dozens various app marketing technics mobile ad networks have always being recognized as the most effective way of driving traffic and install generation. Given the tremendous mobile app ecosystem growth it seems like Facebook just couldn’t stay aside and had to come up with a solution to profit on this enormous opportunity.

In a nutshell Mobile App Install Ads allows app developer / publisher to promote iOS / Android apps on Facebook, both desktop and mobile, track downloads generated by a particular ad in real time. Launching and running ad campaign requires graphics, text, budget allocation and bidding, since you really want to keep CPI (cost per install) as low as possible and it will require real-time bidding and constant monitoring of your expenses.
ComboApp Marketing & PR Agency<br />
<a href="http://marketing.comboapp.com"; target="_blank">iPhone App Marketing</a>

Replies

• mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    edited March 2013
    Used it. It works in that it drives real installs FAST and can drive you up the charts. I reached #2 in paid entertainment as a result of a campaign. Its kind of expensive per install of a paid app (people want free I guess!)

Cost per install of free app was .22 cents (this actually seems really good if you have ways to monetize in app)

Cost per install of .99 cent app was between $2.21 and $7.05 depending on the ad text. majority were in $2.21 category as I quickly paused the underperforiming ads.
  • ComboAppComboApp Chicago, ILPosts: 333New Users @ @
    So the two quick outcomes from your experience were:
    1. Check your bids as often as possible and react accordingly
    2. For lower than $2.99 apps such campaign will most likely increase user base but may not result in a serious profit increase.
    <a href="http://marketing.comboapp.com"; target="_blank">iPhone App Marketing</a>
  • canada130113canada130113 Posts: 87New Users @
    used it and loved the results compared to services like FAAD and free app magic and affiliate networks. If you stay away from the US, Canada and heavy markets, you can get a good CPI rate. Some countries, if you are not concerned about where they are coming from, are as low as 3 cents a click. US operates, I believe now as more people use it, at 45 cents a click! if your click through rate is 33%, thats 1.35$ for an install. Might as well use the other services that charge $1.00 an install (which in my opinion is DRASTICALLY over priced)
    Speaking of staying away from US and Canada we can testify that South America, Brazil and Argentina in particular, do show higher level of engagement but you have to be carefull when you apply filters to make sure you won't end up with cool Brazil folks with no intention to download an app but just to click on something associated with Apple.
  • HappyByteHappyByte Posts: 343New Users @ @
    You should take into account the facebook installs aren't CPI model.

They optimize eCPM to get more installs.

That means, the install bid is just virtual hint for eCPM optimization and won't work like usual CPI bids - if you set .20 CPI it will easily grow 10$ CPI.
    They are CPC not eCPM. So you pay for a click not for visibility
    HappyByte said:

You should take into account the facebook installs aren't CPI model.

They optimize eCPM to get more installs.

That means, the install bid is just virtual hint for eCPM optimization and won't work like usual CPI bids - if you set .20 CPI it will easily grow 10$ CPI.

They are CPC not eCPM. So you pay for a click not for visibility

There are several options possible.
    The one called "installs" is the impression based auto-optimized eCPM.
    Second is CPC.
    I have used CPC and it is a 33% install rate so the download cost is much lower than you quoted
    Was it free app or paid one?
    Like with any tool I don't think we can definitely say it's expensive or inexpensive, I would say it depends on a category, free / paid and allocated marketing budget.
    This is couple weeks old numbers for CTR and CPM but sure thing - still relevant
    http://www.insidefacebook.com/2013/05/01/3800-developers-bought-facebook-mobile-app-install-ads-driving-25m-downloads/
  • dobrydobry Posts: 287Registered Users @ @
    I tried Facebook ads for my freemium app which has the Facebook SDK included. I offered $0.11 CPI in a specific country. Because there were no impressions after some bid increases I used option "Automatically optimize for actions". Then I got impressions, but first install did cost me $6.50 (WTF!!). I switched then to $2 CPM and in the end I had 800 impressions, 3 installs and $2.70 CPI for my free app :-(
    What kind of app it was and what audience had you defined for its ad on Facebook?

Did you develop a specific banner to use for this campaign?

For what period of time did you experience the absense of impressions?

Did you take into account the time zones for this add to be visible for people?
  • dobrydobry Posts: 287Registered Users @ @
    edited June 2013
    @ComboApp: It's an app which lists the Facebook friends. I created a specific banner for the campaign. I didn't get impressions for about 8 hours after approve. I took notice of time zones.

I do not complain about not received impressions, but I complain that with option "Automatically optimize for actions" I needed to pay $6.50 per install. This is absolutely too much and near to criminal behaviour! Fortunatelly it was only 1 install, if I wouldn't had a daily limit of $10 they would totally suck me.
  • chemistrychemistry Posts: 534Registered Users @ @ @
    edited June 2013
    I have just started a facebook install ad campaign for my free game. Targetted in US only , it had been literally just 40 minutes since it started and I got 582 installs already. Cost per install is $1.2

Update: after running it for a few hours, cpi is $0.66
    Post edited by chemistry on
    dobry said:

@ComboApp: It's an app which lists the Facebook friends. I created a specific banner for the campaign. I didn't get impressions for about 8 hours after approve. I took notice of time zones.

I do not complain about not received impressions, but I complain that with option "Automatically optimize for actions" I needed to pay $6.50 per install. This is absolutely too much and near to criminal behaviour! Fortunatelly it was only 1 install, if I wouldn't had a daily limit of $10 they would totally suck me.

Thanks for sharing Dorby! This is the function I suggest to use carefully even when you launch Facebook Ads to bring fans to your fan page. It's hardly possible that Facebok or any other company that offers such function will ever disclose how exactly it calculates a bid.

chemistry said:

I have just started a facebook install ad campaign for my free game. Targetted in US only , it had been literally just 40 minutes since it started and I got 582 installs already. Cost per install is $1.2

I assume it's not totally free but freemium, right? Have you been following the geo targeting and other filters you sent when you're launching the campaign? Perhaps you narrow down your campaign to the direction where you're getting more installs?
    ComboApp said:

chemistry said:

I assume it's not totally free but freemium, right? Have you been following the geo targeting and other filters you sent when you're launching the campaign? Perhaps you narrow down your campaign to the direction where you're getting more installs?
    Yes its a freemium, but what different would that make to CPI?
    It's very specific targetted, only to USA and people who are interested in candy crush ;)
    potential users reached is 44M
  • poisendenpoisenden Posts: 225Registered Users @ @
    Do you have to have an SDK installed in the app?
    Revive Apps Getting Low Downloads - AppReviver.com
    poisenden said:

Do you have to have an SDK installed in the app?

yes if you want to know the numbers, no if you simply want to drive up your rankings regardless
    One of the major engines behind the promising Facebook Q2 financial results was Facebook Mobile App Install Ads platform. The number of app developers that jump into this relatively new ad platform goes up really fast. Between April and June, 8,400 advertisers purchased Facebook's mobile app install ads, compared to 3,800 advertisers the previous quarter. About 50% of the top 100 grossing apps in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store use the Facebook ad solution.

According to the Fiksu data from 200 iPhone free apps traffic it monitors daily costs per loyal user -- measuring how much developers spend to acquire customers who open their apps at least three times a month -- had increased to $1.50 from $1.33 in May. Recent data from Spruce Media, a Facebook strategic Preferred Marketing Developer (PMD), showed that the app cost-per-install through advertising on Facebook increased even more to $1.67 in the second quarter from $1.57 in the prior quarter.
  • richardaloisrichardalois BerlinPosts: 15New Users *
    Fiksu is also saying that their client achieved a $0.37 CPI, that sounds great. We're running a Facebook campaign in the UK next week and will post some numbers later on.

Thanks
    http://www.appmarketingagentur.de/
    Fiksu is also saying that their client achieved a $0.37 CPI, that sounds great. We're running a Facebook campaign in the UK next week and will post some numbers later on.

Thanks
    http://www.appmarketingagentur.de/

Depends on how your ad is like. I managed to get 0.13 USD per install for one of my free app.
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152Registered Users @ @
    0.08 USD per install of a free app in our last test, very interesting.
    Of course it all relies on a good banner, copy and app. Also try split testing multiple versions.
    Head of Marketing at Tapps Games