Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I purchase $0.99 app installs regularly for less then $0.7 in some ads network ?

alexeiralexeir USA, New YorkPosts: 50New Users @
Does anyone has experience with such kind of thing ?
Tagged:

Replies

• ShelShockShelShock Posts: 128Registered Users @ @
    I can sympathize with the desire to run a campaign at a profit for each install, but it is very hard to do for a paid app.

Here's why:

For traditional banner networks where you are paying CPM/CPC and arbitraging the cost down to an eCPI, free apps typically have a eCPI that is higher than $0.70. To achieve a lower cost, you need to generally look to incentive networks that have lower quality users but higher volume (and are thus less expensive). You basically buy downloads not users.

For incentive networks, you are basically paying a user to download your app. If your app is $0.99, the cost per install will be $0.99 (to repay the user for buying and installing your app) plus an incentive of 20%-30% that includes the ad network profit margin per install. It's also important to note that paid apps have a lower conversation rate (because convincing a user to buy an app, even if they get refunded the amount via some virtual currency is a harder thing to do than driving a free download).

Networks will also generally increase the network margin they charge for a paid app because they are "burning through" inventory (eyeballs) that convert at a higher rate with free apps.
    Services and Apps I Recommend

Reviews and Ratings are critical to the success of your app. They significantly contribute to your ASO and organic growth.

Gnome Escape is the best way to generate reviews, ratings, iTunes buzz and feedback for your app.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,567New Users @ @ @ @ @
    When you have a paid app with no IAPs...

Does it really make any difference if you have a lower quality user vs a high quality user?

Seriously... once they've bought the app, they're not going to spend any more money on that app.

So if your goal is to drive it up the charts to acquire organic users... I would think that paying for lower quality users is fine, as long as you know why you're buying them.

You lose money going after high quality users. Unless they start buying your other apps.
  • iSpreadNewsiSpreadNews Posts: 359Registered Users @ @
    With TapJoy, you can generate up to 10 sales per day of the app that costs $2 by paying $1 to tapjoy. It was useful utility app.
    iSpreadNews.com - VERY CHEAP (from $50) way to send your iPhone/iPad app announcement to hundreds of blog & news sites owners over the globe.

Just remember that there other countries besides US!
  • WonderAppsWonderApps Posts: 135New Users @ @
    In general, I agree with iSpreadNews. But there are two catches.

1. Tapjoy charge you per install per device, not per iTunes account.
    2. Yapjoy charge you even the user use a jail-broken iPhone.

In my experience, when I try that approach, at the end I pay way more than the actual downloads. Tapjoy support confirmed both possibilities.

But I also found if I set the bid higher (more than the app cost), the situation got improved. Maybe then the majority of the users will only use one device.
    Latest app:<a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atracker-daily-task-tracking/id519561306?mt=8"; target="_blank">ATracker - Daily Task Tracking by WonderApps AB</a>
  • Joseph NardoneJoseph Nardone Posts: 642Registered Users @ @ @
    I have been a TapJoy user for many years. It is no longer effective for paid apps due to the large number of multi-install-per-account users and jailbroken users. In my last test I was paying for 3-4 times as many installs as sales.
  • ToccataTechToccataTech Posts: 18New Users *
    I am interest in the same topic. Can you explain how someone use one account to purchase the same app multiple times? May be it is my mis-understanding. Thanks.
    If you have one iTunes account, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads in the family, and then purchase the app, install it on all 4 devices, Tapjoy will recognise as 4 installs.

If you share your iTunes account with your friend to install the app, it will be more.

So let's say your app is 0.99usd and the bid is 0.5 usd. You thought you can get 0.2 usd(0.99*0-7.0.5) extra. But tapjoy will charge you 0.5usd*4 and you lose 1.3 usd without counting the taxation.

Latest app:<a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atracker-daily-task-tracking/id519561306?mt=8"; target="_blank">ATracker - Daily Task Tracking by WonderApps AB</a>
  • ToccataTechToccataTech Posts: 18New Users *
    I see now. Thank you. This is good to know if I decide to try Tapjoy. BTW, does Tajoy require you to integrate their SDK to use the promotion?
  • richardaloisrichardalois BerlinPosts: 15New Users *
    I don't think Tapjoy requires SDK integration
  • iSpreadNewsiSpreadNews Posts: 359Registered Users @ @

I see now. Thank you. This is good to know if I decide to try Tapjoy. BTW, does Tajoy require you to integrate their SDK to use the promotion?

Yes, of course! This is how they track sales of the app they've generated.
    iSpreadNews.com - VERY CHEAP (from $50) way to send your iPhone/iPad app announcement to hundreds of blog & news sites owners over the globe.

Just remember that there other countries besides US!
  • savannasavanna Posts: 257New Users @ @
    No you can't. And that is why app businesses on the whole are not sustainable any more.

Once upon a time your app could be discovered on the app store by search, or if you bought downloads to get a good chart position the organic downloads that followed due to increased visibility would ensure a profit provided your app was good enough. Since the app store and search were ruined with the chomp update that came with ios6 this can no longer happen.

Selling apps for profit doesn't work anymore for the indie. Give up and go home. I wish I was joking.
    I disagree with @savanna. I believe it is true for the app in the Game category. But for non-Game apps, people does use search in the app store to find apps.

Also, it really depends on your expectation. For indie, it is almost impossible to get 1 million usd per month, but some thousands per month is still possible and manageable.

But I would recommend not to quit your job to start app developing. For me, my goal is help people get more organised by using my app and in the mean time make me a little bit rich (extra money from my hobby project). So far so good!

Good luck everyone!
  • CorypheusCorypheus Russian Federation Posts: 11Registered Users *
    Why not to drop the price to zero during the time of promotion campaign and let the app to go up the charts?
    @Corypheus, Apple change the algorithm long time ago. The position you gained when the app is free does not get inherited after you change the price back. Although you will get quite many downloads with possibly some bad review along with it.
  • CorypheusCorypheus Russian Federation Posts: 11Registered Users *
    @WonderApps , thanks for your notice. To be honest I've never run a promo campaign for a paid app. With free and freemium apps it's a different story. Sometimes our a customer has both free and paid versions. Promoting the free one we noticed that the paid version also experienced an increase in downloads and rankings.