Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How did these mini game reach to 10 in one day?

258076067258076067 asiaPosts: 15New Users *
those white tiles, money rains, 100balls, toilets mini game,
I don't think they did nothing to reach top 10,
and i don't think its anything apple allowed pushing them ranking up,
I'm really thinking buying installs are back, what do you guys think ?

Replies

• tomgood887tomgood887 Posts: 126New Users @ @
    I also think so. must have some secret promote method
  • billykbillyk Posts: 103New Users @ @
    I have started a thread on this topic. Feel free to chip in your thoughts there: http://iphonedevsdk.com/forum/business-legal-app-store/118474-indie-success-discussion.html
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152Registered Users @ @
    Well, I'm the developer of the Toilet mini game. We've been doing some investment with Facebook Ads, but it was definitely a 'viral' phenomenon (as its fun to call nowadays) since we're hardly spending that much money.

It has done well by the time we released its last year, but gained a lot of strength after we pushed it a bit in strategic countries in Europe to influence nearby markets.

Eventually we started climbing the ranks in the UK and now we're doing quite well in the USA -- currently #3 Top Free Games and #4 Top Overall Games. A bit of luck. Oh, and the game is not that bad as well (maybe a little gross for some).
    Head of Marketing at Tapps Games
  • mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    Awesome @felipewatanabe nice too see a regular around here getting some success! So your promote in smaller countries idea worked out eh? Mind sharing income stats enjoying that top spot? x,xxx? xx,xxx?!
  • mookimooki mookalandPosts: 46New Users @
    edited May 2014
    @felipewatanabe - first i have to say good job !!!

But i would like to know more, if you dont mined sharing
    How 1 year old age game, suddenly comes to the top at US ?
  • raymngraymng Posts: 2,046Registered Users @ @ @ @
    Well, I'm the developer of the Toilet mini game. We've been doing some investment with Facebook Ads, but it was definitely a 'viral' phenomenon (as its fun to call nowadays) since we're hardly spending that much money.

It has done well by the time we released its last year, but gained a lot of strength after we pushed it a bit in strategic countries in Europe to influence nearby markets.

Eventually we started climbing the ranks in the UK and now we're doing quite well in the USA -- currently #3 Top Free Games and #4 Top Overall Games. A bit of luck. Oh, and the game is not that bad as well (maybe a little gross for some).

Great.. finally we know it is not bots or illegal techniques.
    But how the 'viral' phenomenon start? Did you get featured by Apple?

Thanks.
    edited May 2014
    @mediaspree It did! But it was a very special case, I think. The 'toilet' theme was good. We felt from the beginning that it had some (awkward) appeal, it was just a matter of finding a good strategy to make it noticed by some people and then generate an organic/viral growth based on curiosity. I confess I wasn't really expecting it to do that well. We're currently in Top #2 Overall Free Apps. As for the numbers, I can't disclose the exact figures, but it's a big deal in volume of downloads. US App Store is BIG in comparison to other markets.

@mooki The game performed really well by the time we released it, it could definitely be considered a 'hit' already. Since we knew we had something worth working on in our hands, it was mostly a matter of planning well how to leverage it. I'm not expecting it to climb the rankings in all countries or remain in the top for so long like Flappy Bird or 2048, but I'm really proud to make it this far already.

@raymng No features from Apple for this game specifically. It simply caught attention in almost every country we give it a little push by cross promoting or advertising on Facebook. It's worth mentioning that cross promotion is key for us since we have over 100 games by now.

EDIT: And personally, this is my favorite thing about all of this (haha):
  • e2appletse2applets Posts: 8New Users Noob
    Hi there!

I'm the developer of Ironpants which was top #1 overall in US and in many other countries. I can also confirm that the key factor of our success was virality and luck. We did not even use any single keyword of Flappy Bird to get noticed, but it just went viral through Twitter, Youtube. People wanted to compare Ironpants with Flappy Bird so they just tweeted to their friends: "Hey, look, Ironpants is even harder than Flappy Bird. I dare you to try it!". So people tried our game out of curiosity, wrote funny, ironic reviews, uploaded youtube videos and it went from mouth to mouth.
    We did not spend anything on marketing. Our Google Play version was live a week before we launched on iOS and had 10ish downloads a day. But after iOS version came out, it went viral and downloads peaked in all platforms.
    I cannot even imagine, what the marketing budget should be to acquire users to get to the top #1 overall.

So guys, it's possible! No budget needed, no bots, no fake reviews - just funny, simple app. I would say that these type of games work like a "meme". Once people notice it, make fun of it, share - it goes viral.

Good luck!

• billykbillyk Posts: 103New Users @ @
    Very encouraging stories. The only discouraging bit is when "luck" is one of the key factors, it means success is largely out of our own control.

Having said that at least we know indie can still stand a chance and that's enough for most us to keep trying....
    @mediaspree It did! But it was a very special case, I think. The 'toilet' theme was good. We felt from the beginning that it had some (awkward) appeal, it was just a matter of finding a good strategy to make it noticed by some people and then generate an organic/viral growth based on curiosity. I confess I wasn't really expecting it to do that well. We're currently in Top #2 Overall Free Apps. As for the numbers, I can't disclose the exact figures, but it's a big deal in volume of downloads. US App Store is BIG in comparison to other markets.

@mooki The game performed really well by the time we released it, it could definitely be considered a 'hit' already. Since we knew we had something worth working on in our hands, it was mostly a matter of planning well how to leverage it. I'm not expecting it to climb the rankings in all countries or remain in the top for so long like Flappy Bird or 2048, but I'm really proud to make it this far already.

@raymng No features from Apple for this game specifically. It simply caught attention in almost every country we give it a little push by cross promoting or advertising on Facebook. It's worth mentioning that cross promotion is key for us since we have over 100 games by now.

EDIT: And personally, this is my favorite thing about all of this (haha):

Could you tell which countries you did push? :-)
  • 258076067258076067 asiaPosts: 15New Users *
    i guess it's

btw, do you mind to share a little about how to get people to review apps ?
    edited May 2014
    @raymng Most of Western and Southern Europe at some level.

@comiccreations Our game designers love WarioWare! I'm sure they took it into consideration and also had in mind some similar games that did well lately like Dumb Ways to Die and those "dumb tests" mini games. They're very addictive indeed.

@258076067 We had absolutely nothing to do with all those videos coming up about Toilet Time, they're all spontaneous. This is the most successful one so far (192k views as of now), from a big Brazilian YouTube channel:
  • 258076067258076067 asiaPosts: 15New Users *
    @felipewatanabe thanks for replying, i mean app store reviews, not video reviews
    btw you are really being helpful for us indie developer
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for your reply!!
    Do you have any hints when creating FB ads? It should be hard to localize the ads to many languages..
    @258076067 We only use that 'default' popup alert within the game, asking for the review and giving the user the option to rate now, later or never. Nothing beyond that really.

@raymng I've written about it in other topics, but there's not much to it beyond testing a lot. Different creatives and copies can make wonders to the performance of ads.
    @felipewatanabe Do you mined share with us the ads that you used or using right now?
    edited May 2014
    @mooki The best performing one. Love it!

Edit: for some reason, even I can't open the attachment. Well, the image is self-explanatory and the copy reads "The number one game when you go for number two! Play for free!"
    tt.png 25.5K
    can you share us with a link?
    @mooki The best performing one. Love it!

Edit: for some reason, even I can't open the attachment. Well, the image is self-explanatory and the copy reads "The number one game when you go for number two! Play for free!"

Hi, can you share the image? Also, what is the special meaning of "The number one game when you go for number two!"?? I am not native English speaker..
  • sinhahumayunsinhahumayun DhakaPosts: 209New Users @ @
    @raymng‌ Number 2 means when someone has to take a shi* in the toilet.

@e2applets‌ , @felipewatanabe‌ First of all, its great to know that honest and good game developers are actually getting great success without conning the system. I was 2 questions for both of you.

1. What ad networks are you guys using?

2. Did you do free cross-promotion in other developers game? If so, then which network or service did you use?

Again, success stories like you guys keep folks like us alive with hope that real honesty and hard work is enough to pay bills :)
  • e2appletse2applets Posts: 8New Users Noob
    We use Chartboost ad network both for interstitial ads and cross-promotion of our other apps. These guys are real professionals, their system gives all the needed information, it's possible to make direct deals with advertisers, so I am really happy with using their service. Cross-promotion is really strong tool as it brings us a decent number of users and at the moment we are cross-promoting through our other apps only.
  • AlperAlper TurkeyPosts: 12New Users *
    Honestly,Thank you for this topic.Today,I'm really depressive because of bot review,big ad budget,be notice is too hard this days If you haven't enough ads budge or you don't do illegal thing.

Always,I just read and I don't write comment but this topic is different.

Again,thank you.