Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should I market my first large game?

kasperssonkaspersson FinlandPosts: 7New Users Noob
Hello everyone!

I've been developing a large game for 6 months now, and it will be ready soon. The question is; how about the marketing?

Should I do a smooth launch (release the game to App store with no pre-marketing), and after that, make a trailer, reach to reviewers, and so on.

OR

Make a trailer, pre-release the game to reviewers, make a fuzz on the social-media a month or so, before the game gets released. This method could probably cause a larger rush on the release date, which could lead to a higher rank (that causing more people to find the game)

Have you got any experience with these strategies? Are there any nugget of wisdom? :)

Thanks a lot, my friends :)

Replies

• Bilal_DSBilal_DS LondonPosts: 5New Users Noob
    In my opinion, pre-launch marketing is very important.

Freemium game, IAP, monetization with ads, social media connection...?

Strategy changes with the context.
  • kasperssonkaspersson FinlandPosts: 7New Users Noob
    Bilal_DS wrote: »
    In my opinion, pre-launch marketing is very important.

Freemium game, IAP, monetization with ads, social media connection...?

Strategy changes with the context.

Hi,
    My game comes with IAPs and ads. There will probably be social-media connection, but i haven't yet decided.
    Without enter in the detail, in my opinion App Store Optimization and marketing are key for success.

Be present on social media (FB mainly, twitter and You Tube why not) and maintain a community around your game (you can use tools like Hootsuite for example) is very important.

It's a virtuous circle, if you optimize your launch and your first downloads, you are able to obtain a best ranking and generate other downloads.

If you just want a binary answer, you can't do without a prelaunch marketing ;)
    Without enter in the detail, in my opinion App Store Optimization and marketing are key for success.

Be present on social media (FB mainly, twitter and You Tube why not) and maintain a community around your game (you can use tools like Hootsuite for example) is very important.

It's a virtuous circle, if you optimize your launch and your first downloads, you are able to obtain a best ranking and generate other downloads.

If you just want a binary answer, you can't do without a prelaunch marketing ;)
    okay, Thanks a lot :)
    Do you know anything about these game publishers, like chillingo? Is that a good way to go? They have published and marketed a lot of successful apps like Angry Birds, and Cut the Rope, so at least they've got the marketing strategies, and these enormous customer bases.
    Sorry but honestly, i've never worked with game publishers.

I don't know the cost for this type of service, but maybe with some knowledges you can do your own maketing.
    Sorry but honestly, i've never worked with game publishers.

I don't know the cost for this type of service, but maybe with some knowledges you can do your own maketing.

okay, I understand.
    about this pre-launch marketing, is it wise to start marketing two months before the launch, or two weeks? If you do pre-marketing too early, other developers can copy your game idea, before the game even gets launched.
    Two months maybe it's too much, 2 weeks sounds better ;)
  • iSpreadNewsiSpreadNews Posts: 359Registered Users @ @
    kaspersson wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I've been developing a large game for 6 months now, and it will be ready soon. The question is; how about the marketing?

Should I do a smooth launch (release the game to App store with no pre-marketing), and after that, make a trailer, reach to reviewers, and so on.

OR

Make a trailer, pre-release the game to reviewers, make a fuzz on the social-media a month or so, before the game gets released. This method could probably cause a larger rush on the release date, which could lead to a higher rank (that causing more people to find the game)

Have you got any experience with these strategies? Are there any nugget of wisdom? :)

Thanks a lot, my friends :)

This is what we tell to all our clients: we believe that contacting editors of app review sites BEFORE game is released is a bad idea. Unless you are Electronic Arts, or you are John Carmack, or son of Barack Obama or other famous person of course! It's somewhat a pain for editors to install your app via TestFlight, study it very carefully, and write about it before it hits appstore.

Making a trailer or at least gameplay video is greatly recommended - it helps editors to decide whether your game is worth reviewing without installing it.

iSpreadNews.com - VERY CHEAP (from $50) way to send your iPhone/iPad app announcement to hundreds of blog & news sites owners over the globe.

Just remember that there other countries besides US!
  • optimizemyappsoptimizemyapps USAPosts: 138Registered Users @ @
    @kaspersson - You should definitely focus on Optimizing the following:

100 Char Keywords - Deep research will yield you keywords which have good traffic with Low to medium competition
    App Title - Again along with the 100 char keywords its necessary to get the right keywords in the title, this makes a big difference in how your app is ranked for those keywords & hence downloads
    Icon - Very important in attracting user's attention amidst the many other apps around
    Screenshots - Once you have the users attention, its time to educate him about your Apps features, this you do with great screenshots

66% of users find apps organically according to research so dont ignore ASO
    OptimizeMyApps.com for Professional Help on App Store Optimization / App Promotion Services at Great Prices