Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

App release - Low budget marketing plan

iProdigyiProdigy United StatesPosts: 20New Users @
Hello fellows... This is my first post. Please post critiques of plan, even if negative. Here goes....

I am not a seasoned app developer, but know a thing or two about the marketplace. My life has come to revolve around apps as of the lately. Research non-stop. I need to make it.

My step-by-step plan:

- Contact apple to be featured: appstoremarketing@apple.com & appstorepromotion@apple.com (Not sure how getting featured works)
- Make video (upload to iTunes Connect and YouTube)
- Submit PR: http://prmac.com/ (Pay $20)
- Twitter and Facebook Ad campaign (Not sure if worth it with small budget?)
- Pitch to review websites and big names on Youtube (Made list)
- Network with other developers (http://www.meetup.com/)
- Continue being social.

That's it. Hopefully grow organically after this as I have a high quality app.

What do you think?

- iProdigy

Replies

• iProdigyiProdigy United StatesPosts: 20New Users @
    Also, forgot to mention... ASO can't be much better.

I am strictly only talking about marketing outside of App Store.

-iProdigy
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 387New Users @ @
    Forget #1 -- you can't ask Apple to feature your app. They'll ask you IF they like your app a LOT (think about it -- if there was a way to ask Apple to feature your app, EVERY SINGLE developer in the world would be asking to be featured!).
    Understood...figured that. But, I was under the impression that after the initial release you were placed in the best new apps category for 5-7 days.

I forget the exact source that I received the above information, but it was credible. By any chance, was that the case before the market became so crowded?

Thanks for the post btw...

-iProdigy
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    There are 1,000 new apps launched every day so the competition is intense. As I have said on another thread, the chances of succeeding on a minimal budget are close to zero.

I like to rank an apps chances as follows:-

1. A good app with marketing 70%
    2. A bad app with marketing 25%
    3. A good app with no marketing 4%
    4. A bad app with no marketing 1%

You list is a start but excludes a lot of other work that is mandatory, all of which either costs money or a lot of effort.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
    edited December 2014
    So then besides what I have listed, what else would you recommend?

-iProdigy
  • appPushUPappPushUP SpainPosts: 8New Users Noob
    I had very good results in the past buying cheap Youtube views to promote a video.

I recommend you to do it with a new account because Google can block it. It never happend to me but I know they are doing it.
    It must be very short, less than 1 minute.

I still have videos online with more than 250.000 views.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    iProdigy wrote: »

-iProdigy

That would depend on your budget. What would that be?

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.

-iProdigy

That would depend on your budget. What would that be?

I could gather up $2500-$3000 for marketing purposes.

-iProdigy

Forgot to mention ... I also have Twitter and Facebook share scores buttons at the end of the game. Not sure how helpful these are, but figured it couldn't hurt.

- iProdigy
  • optimizemyappsoptimizemyapps USAPosts: 138Registered Users @ @
    @iProdigy - I would definitly recommend getting your ASO right, as you get the initial 1 week boost when you lauch your app. The initial boost combined with the right set of keywords can get you a lot of downloads. Pay attention to the following:
    - Right keywords in 100 char list
    - Right keywords & right amount of keywords in app title
    - Right Icon for your App which tells users what your app is all about
    - Screenshots - Which explain the main features of your app
    - Reviews - You need to start building reviews/ratings from day one of app launch

If you get the above right you will get a fairly decent no. of downloads per day.
    OptimizeMyApps.com for Professional Help on App Store Optimization / App Promotion Services at Great Prices
  • TQMTQM UKPosts: 18New Users *
    I know for a fact that is is possible - if rare - to contact Apple to get an app featured. The developer (not me) that did this had a BAFTA award winning artist that created his game art. That was the USP that got him featured as a direct result of contacting Apple and requesting to be featured. No doubt the vast majority who try this route to getting featured will be tuned down.
  • maharshakmaharshak some where over the rainbowPosts: 295New Users @ @
    Where do you ask for beeing featured? what is the route to ask for it?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Forget #1 -- you can't ask Apple to feature your app. They'll ask you IF they like your app a LOT (think about it -- if there was a way to ask Apple to feature your app, EVERY SINGLE developer in the world would be asking to be featured!).

No, you CAN ask Apple to be featured. Just don't hold your breath for it to happen. No different than any other endeavor.

Now, if you did write the perfect app, one that Apple would be amazed at seeing... who knows, the person receiving your inquiry may pitch it to higher ups.

Of course, writing that app is a long shot too. ;)

A few years ago though, you could get featured if you knew someone inside Apple who would be your app advocate. I assume this is still true today. But how many of us have someone with an inside track to Apple and the iTunes store.
    Thank you for all the replies everyone! I am going to to do everything in my power to get this app in front of as many eyeballs as I can.
    @iProdigy - I would definitly recommend getting your ASO right, as you get the initial 1 week boost when you lauch your app. The initial boost combined with the right set of keywords can get you a lot of downloads. Pay attention to the following:

What do you mean by 1 week initial boost?

- iProdigy

maharshak wrote: »

After researching, I found that these two emails popped up most: appstoremarketing@apple.com & appstorepromotion@apple.com

I am going to send them a pitch and hope for the best. Can't hurt to try...

- iProdigy
    A thought...

Don't sign your post with "iProdigy" and leave all that blank space...

At least remove that extra space. ;)
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    Sign it Johnny Ive and see if they notice :)
  • maharshakmaharshak some where over the rainbowPosts: 295New Users @ @
    Someone can confirm that's the right e-mails
    better trying than not :neutral_face:
  • TQMTQM UKPosts: 18New Users *
    Get featured by Apple by contacting them directly. It can work, but likely will not for most:
    http://benjamesward.tumblr.com/ search for featured.
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    maharshak wrote: »

After researching, I found that these two emails popped up most: appstoremarketing@apple.com & appstorepromotion@apple.com

I am going to send them a pitch and hope for the best. Can't hurt to try...
    - iProdigy

Have you localized your app?
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 272Registered Users @ @
    Has anyone actually got featured by Apple by sending them emails ? Sounds like a myth.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    Has anyone actually got featured by Apple by sending them emails ? Sounds like a myth.

Nope, but got featured by Amazon for a week, just by sending them an email.

• AppBomberAppBomber Posts: 8New Users Noob
    Along with ASO pay attention to your App Description text especially to the entire lines that should attract user interest before he decides to tap More...button. Web Preview has a limited length of 120 characters in which you have to put the most important message to potential customer and positively influence on his purchasing decision. In your App Description text use Check points to list your key app features and app benefits. Overall description text should be compelling and coinsize. Don't forget that your App Store Product page is your app's sales page. So make sure you get it into order.
  • danny43danny43 Posts: 100Registered Users @ @
    @AppBomber‌

What do you mean use Check Points in the app description?
    danny43 wrote: »
    @AppBomber‌

What do you mean use Check Points in the app description?

Features:
    -this
    -that
    -this thing
    -that thing