Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drop in downloads in december?

Hey all,

Is anybody here noticing drop in downloads from past 15 days? It's annoying and as most of my apps are steeping

Replies

• magicgamestudiomagicgamestudio USAPosts: 22 @
    edited December 2014
    Unless I constantly advertise my app or ask for review exchanges, my app is pretty much rolling over dead right now.

The thing is, it's not ranking well for the keywords it has because it's short on downloads/reviews. I really don't want to have to pay to make it go up and give it the initial boost so that it normalizes from what I am seeing.

Can't understand how some apps go viral like the most searched app of 2014. I am guessing it's YouTube..

I am very disappointed.

I thought it was just me but you're saying yours went down too. I too noticed a decrease even after daily free advertising through social media.
  • sanyam61sanyam61 Posts: 96 @
    If advertising is the only key, we have a new obstacle and I noticed how apple is promoting their iads again. A game spotting on 5th place under word category doomed after two days. What is wrong? There is no ASO etc update algorithm update since many months.
  • Wow. Well, Apple does give you a 7-week host at the beginning for your keywords for ALL new apps.

But I noticed my game went down after the first 2-3 days a bit. it keeps on going down a bit more after that. I'd say the biggest boost is the first 2 or 3 days in release.
  • magicgamestudiomagicgamestudio USAPosts: 22 @
    edited December 2014
    Update in late August. Check this out if you haven't seen it already.

http://blog.worddata.com/app-store-optimization/app-store-algorithm-aug-27/

I was able to reach 30+ downloads the first two days before this update on one day, when the 2nd time I rereleased the game with a better icon, description, and actually good ASO versus that first time, I only reached 21 after this update on my best day.

So yeah..the first app I released had horrible ASO and used the app title as keywords. Which is really bad for ASO.
  • Wow. Well, Apple does give you a 7-week host at the beginning for your keywords for ALL new apps.

But I noticed my game went down after the first 2-3 days a bit. it keeps on going down a bit more after that. I'd say the biggest boost is the first 2 or 3 days in release.

I've noticed this with one of my apps as well. Not sure what's at work here. The only way to have some concrete data is to have a lot of apps and I don't have enough to come up with conclusions.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    Whether Apple still gives you the boost or not, is not the issue.

There are simply too many apps in the store. So expect zero to little downloads, unless you have a way to market it.

That boost was great last year and early this year... but I am no longer noticing much of an effect from it.

Plus, with Xmas spending, people are buying everything but apps. Come Xmas day, the kids will use their gift cards to buy apps, but unless you're in games, you won't benefit from that much.

With the App Store saturated, you can expect sales to decline further. That problem exists with any commodity for which there are too many.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452 @ @
    Wow. Well, Apple does give you a 7-week host at the beginning for your keywords for ALL new apps.

I've noticed this with one of my apps as well. Not sure what's at work here. The only way to have some concrete data is to have a lot of apps and I don't have enough to come up with conclusions.
    In effect we have 1.3 million apps and can tell you that the downloads through November and so far in December have been pretty much constant from what we see in our dashboard.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • TheBakerManTheBakerMan Posts: 83 @
    edited December 2014
    In effect we have 1.3 million apps and can tell you that the downloads through November and so far in December have been pretty much constant from what we see in our dashboard.

I'm only talking about new apps. I'd like to think I'm seeing a 7-day (or 2-3 days in some cases) boost for some keywords, but I'm not sure. For one of my apps, I don't think I'm seeing any kind of boost. The app has dropped into the < 40 d/l per day black hole 3 days after release.

[edit] Just noticed that I replied to magicgamestudio that sidetracked from the OP. So it's just a confusing thread now with multiple tangents.
    dev666999 wrote: »
    Whether Apple still gives you the boost or not, is not the issue.

There are simply too many apps in the store. So expect zero to little downloads, unless you have a way to market it.

That boost was great last year and early this year... but I am no longer noticing much of an effect from it.

As for the boost helping at all, I'm not sure. I need to track the keyword ranks a little better and compare it from day to day for the first few weeks. I released an app at midnight and so far I've seen 400 boot ups and it's only half day. I can't say the traffic definitely came from keywords, but I've done nothing else except push the "release this version" button.

• WonderAppsWonderApps Posts: 135 @ @
    @sanyam61, to answer you original question, my app is in productivity category.

In my case, there is no drop in revenue or download in last 15 days. But Nov. is 5% lower than Oct. though.
    Latest app:<a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atracker-daily-task-tracking/id519561306?mt=8"; target="_blank">ATracker - Daily Task Tracking by WonderApps AB</a>
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 387 @ @
    November downloads were way down but December has been a bit better (so far).
    unless some clear insight is there about other competitors or publishers I think this question will have the same dilemma
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558 @ @ @ @ @
    sanyam61 wrote: »
    unless some clear insight is there about other competitors or publishers I think this question will have the same dilemma

Corrected Google Translation:

WTF is going on!
    @dev666999 Loll..exactly
  • petteripetteri HelsinkiPosts: 7 Noob
    I have a feeling that especially for free and in-app apps, the button text change from FREE to GET is affecting downloads. I overheard a discussion where girl thought that apps are no longer free so there can be more confusion like this.
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952 @ @ @
    petteri wrote: »
    I have a feeling that especially for free and in-app apps, the button text change from FREE to GET is affecting downloads. I overheard a discussion where girl thought that apps are no longer free so there can be more confusion like this.

And this is why we are implementing a rapid change in Jan for our Free/Paid apps.

Until now we have this pattern:

free app : Gem Swipe
    paid app: Gem Swipe Deluxe

Now:

free app : Gem Swipe Free with 'free' badge on icon
    paid app : Gem Swipe
    Are we serious into this?
    sanyam61 wrote: »
    Are we serious into this?

Yep, going to give it a try

May i know the download spike/fall as compared to previous months? can you share me the drop or hike percentage? @scottwb
    Can't share iTunes data as we changed companies and transferred apps in Jan 2014. However, Chartboost ad revenue is 50% down with MORE apps than this time last year.
  • chuckc192000chuckc192000 FloridaPosts: 387 @ @
    petteri wrote: »

I predicted this earlier -- 99% of customers won't realize that "Get" means "Free".
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152 @ @
    edited January 2015
    Interesting point about the change from "free" to "get". Just checked our numbers and I didn't notice a big drop, but it was a slightly noticeable (for the following days after the change) for some apps, specially kids games.
    Head of Marketing at Tapps Games